C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti cap/rotor interchangeablity (Spline to Pin)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Opti cap/rotor interchangeablity (Spline to Pin)

Odd question...

Will an early, non vented, Opti cap and rotor physically (correctly) mate to a late style vented Optispark?

The details...
I run an electric water pump, I知 collecting parts for a cam swap and intend on going double roller timing chain. Since I知 a 94 I have the early style Opti. I知 converting to vented pin style Opti to make this all work. I run LS1 coils via LTCC and therefore will not be running spark through the Opti. I have a line on a pin drive Opti with Mitsu sensor but it doesn稚 come with cap, rotor, cap bolts or rotor bolts. All things I値l need to put it together. Already picked up a 95 timing cover.

So back to the question... anyone happen to know will my non vented cap and rotor (and bolts) swap onto the later pin drive Opti? I may seal the unit air tight. Since I won稚 run the high voltage through it it won稚 generate damaging ozone to degrade the sensor and I think this alleviates the need to vent the unit.
The following users liked this post:
Alejandro Guerrero (09-30-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 PM
esc493
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why not. The upgrade the original spline drive to vented style all the time.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:22 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Yes, which is what I am doing. But can I use the cap/rotor from my spline drive on the pin drive?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM
esc493
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fresh air line would still be open even with closed cap. Why not close vent hole of with vaccum caps. Or vent it just in case moisture gets in.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Fair enough point. I guess I was trying to save a buck but in hindsight, I致e already spent hundreds colllecting parts and have hundreds more to go. Skimping on the Opti, of all things, is probably not the wisest decision! I致e had no issues with my original Opti on my 94 other than a worn out cap/rotor and failing ICM, at which time I decided to go LTCC and LS1 coils so I never bothered replacing those parts. At least I found a unit with a Mitsubishi sensor. I値l have to poke around and see if the vacuum harness is available to retrofit. Do guys that do this punch a hole in the rubber intake boot between the TB and MAF? That makes me cringe a bit.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 PM
oscarm98
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't punch a hole in the intake boot, that's asking for trouble.

You should be able to easily tee off of one of the other many vacuum lines that are connected to the Intake manifold.

Find one of the vacuum lines, like the cruise control or various other vacuum lines (they are on both sides of the intake manifold), cut it in half, insert the tee and run a vacuum hose down to the Opti.

Something like the attached:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman-Product...47333/10002/-1

Oscar

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Fair enough point. I guess I was trying to save a buck but in hindsight, I’ve already spent hundreds colllecting parts and have hundreds more to go. Skimping on the Opti, of all things, is probably not the wisest decision! I’ve had no issues with my original Opti on my 94 other than a worn out cap/rotor and failing ICM, at which time I decided to go LTCC and LS1 coils so I never bothered replacing those parts. At least I found a unit with a Mitsubishi sensor. I’ll have to poke around and see if the vacuum harness is available to retrofit. Do guys that do this punch a hole in the rubber intake boot between the TB and MAF? That makes me cringe a bit.

Last edited by oscarm98; 01-19-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:52 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarm98
Don't punch a hole in the intake boot, that's asking for trouble.

You should be able to easily tee off of one of the other many vacuum lines that are connected to the Intake manifold.
You still need to get fresh air to pass through the opti - that's what the hose from the intake boot provides.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti cap/rotor interchangeablity (Spline to Pin)

Quick Reply: Opti cap/rotor interchangeablity (Spline to Pin)