C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Spedo not working after new stereo install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:14 PM
LexTalion
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Spedo not working after new stereo install?

Howdy, owner of a 94 corvette here. Recently I had a friend install a jvc head unit, some subs and an amp. Sounds great, but after he was done my speedometer stopped working. Rather than display 0, it simply flashes random numbers while I’m driving. He cut the factory harness and ran power from the battery to the amp but that’s all. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Tyler
Old 01-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Gotta love radio experts. Do you have factory wiring diagram? What was original radio? The control head has a data circuit which if connected to radio could be cause. Possibly chaffed wire under car. You need to review what was done during install.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 PM
LexTalion
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply. Wiring diagrams here: http://s716.photobucket.com/user/c4f...?sort=3&page=1 and it had a Delco Bose gold head. I haven’t done much checking wires because I don’t know where the wires to the cluster are but I’ll try to figure that out.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM
LexTalion
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Ask him what he did with the green/wht wire. He should have just left it not connected to anything. The grn/wht is the Speed signal that goes to several components like HVAC, cluster, CCM, and the radio uses it for SCV. Speed Controlled Volume. If he grounded it, or connected it to something, this could be your problem with the speedo.

You'll probably start getting "SYS" flashing periodically in the odometer too. SYS indicates trouble codes have set in the CCM. There are two codes associated with the backlighting and LED lighting that will set when the stock radio head is removed. There are resistor work-arounds for this problem. If he's going back in the dash to fix the speedo, might as well have him fix the CCM codes too.
Pulled it apart and put a wire nut on the gen/wht wire just now and that fixed it. I do have the blinking sys message, I’ll have to fix that another day. Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Spedo not working after new stereo install?

Quick Reply: C4 Spedo not working after new stereo install?