C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C5 brake conversion measured.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:04 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
Default C5 brake conversion measured.

Hey all, finished installing C5 brakes on my '87, thought I'd share some info in case you're thinking about doing the same. I only did the front brakes, including the rear seems like overkill to me.

Pics, ruler included.

Ignore the silver plate at the hub, that's a 5mm shim I used for my Advanti 18" A4 Kudos. Really needed these as Timken wheel hubs decided to be an extra mm or two wider!
This is why I measured out from the face of the rotor, the caliper has to be centered on the rotor anyway.

The caliper is the farthest away from the center of the wheel hub.

NOTE: I have ARP 2.5" wheel studs installed, again due to my choice of Timken, shim and wheels. Make sure you get at least 8 turns on your lugs nuts.

This is the adapter I used, see ebay if needed. I had to flip this backwards, thanks to Timken once again!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

One of the best upgrades for non J55 cars for sure! The difference is tremendous and not an expensive upgrade.

I ran into an item I couldn't quite figure out when I did mine. Maybe you know...

Why is there a machined area around the outer bolt holes on the brackets? I made my brackets and doing that machining was the biggest hurdle. At first I thought they were supposed to face the new bracket and provide the proper offset but they put the bracket in too far towards the car that way. I turned them around (the way you have yours) and it worked perfect. I haven't been able to find and answer from any of the threads on this upgrade.

Last edited by Silver85; 05-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

According to plans posted a while ago, the machined spots should go against the brackets.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1584042607

My impression, this is to move the bracket a little inboard while keeping most of the material of the adapter thicker for strength. Another thought, this cut allows washers to be used to fine tune the bracket position.

Why ours need the extra millimeter or so says something has changed that pushed the rotor a little further out from the bracket mounts, the flip is needed to keep the bracket centered on the rotor. I know my Timken hubs were about a millimeter or so wider than my stock hubs.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 brake conversion measured.

Quick Reply: C5 brake conversion measured.