C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 Rear Suspension in an '84

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Default 1996 Rear Suspension in an '84

Anyone have experience with this?

Track car only. I know the top perch of the shocks is different, will everything else bolt in? IE will I just have to run '84 shocks in the rear? Or would it be better to cut the frame and weld in an adapter plate to run later shocks?

As an FYI, will be running coilovers.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... All of the rear suspension stuff is bolt-in ... I'm thinking that the earlier upper shock mounts are sturdier than the later ones but if you're doing coil overs pick the ones you want and fab them in ... there might be some benefit (with coil overs) to relocate the top mounts anyway (angle of the dangle) .....
The following users liked this post:
RandomTask (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:33 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Never had an early and late knuckle side by side for comparison but I believe that the later knuckle is more easily adapted to 'coil-over' installs. The spindle rods (4) are the same mounting so I'd think you maybe do what's needed to use later 'coil-over' install.

Compare the lower mount comments through the years and ask!!
The following users liked this post:
RandomTask (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks guys.

Throwing a D44 out of my (wrecked) '96 into my '84 track rat (road course). Right away I noticed the trailing arms are different (composite vs solid) and the shock mounts are different. I'd ideally like stay COTS on the coilovers but will fab something if needed.

I didn't recall the '84 having the center bolt (only having two) as opposed to the '96's three where the trailing arm bracket mounts to the frame.

Will also be putting the front cross member of a '96 into the '84 for a myriad of reasons (the one on the '84 is currently toast).
Old 01-31-2018, 05:20 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... There have been several instances of lower shock mounts breaking clean off the knuckles on coil over conversions ... that part of the knuckle wasn't intended to carry the weight of the car and dampen it at the same time .....
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Why do you want coilovers? People are very quick to ditch the leaf springs, but they can easily be made to have the same preload adjustability as coilovers and still retain the mounting points that the factory intended to carry the static loads of the car. Coilovers aren't magic - they are just a spring at each corner that holds the car off the ground, just like the OE leaf configuration.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Why do you want coilovers? People are very quick to ditch the leaf springs, but they can easily be made to have the same preload adjustability as coilovers and still retain the mounting points that the factory intended to carry the static loads of the car. Coilovers aren't magic - they are just a spring at each corner that holds the car off the ground, just like the OE leaf configuration.
I'm convinced that 100% of the praise that a swap to coil overs produces is due to the new, high(er) quality adjustable shocks that come as part of the coil over swap. Put coil overs on your old, worn out Bilsteins and what have you got?

Nothing wrong w/the monoleaf SPRING. Change the shock.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:06 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

The most valid reason to ditch the leafs in favor of coilovers is probably for quick spring rate changes. However, this is only a need for cars that are road-raced, where major differences in surfaces and layout at various tracks entail different rates. It's going to be the rare C4 that is still involved in that kind of use.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I totally agree...and in addition to that, I'd submit this:
*98% of 'Vette owners with coil overs don't know how to and don't spend the time to switch coils to exploit that advantage.
*In the rear at least, I think it would be quicker to change the OEM spring than a coil over.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:54 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I totally agree...and in addition to that, I'd submit this:
*98% of 'Vette owners with coil overs don't know how to and don't spend the time to switch coils to exploit that advantage.
*In the rear at least, I think it would be quicker to change the OEM spring than a coil over.
I think you're right about the rear spring changes. I should have mentioned not just the speed of the spring changes (in front, at least), but the wider variety of spring rates that are easily available in typical coilover sizes. But again, as you mentioned, almost nobody needs or uses the ability to fine-tune spring rates. I autocross a lot and even I don't need that. I can fine-tune handling balance with rear swaybar changes, which are also super simple and fast. And my leafs have adjustable preload front and rear, so I can alter ride height and corner weights with the turn of a nut. Even with just rear adjustable preload, you can still fully adjust corner weights - you can't adjust ride height at the front.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Like already mentioned, the advantage with coil overs is the adjustability and choice of spring rates. Springs on a coilover are about $60 each and can easily be swapped for different tracks or balance. Having a custom rate leaf made is $500+. You also get ride height adjustability at all 4 corners unlike the leafs. This again can be added with aftermarket leafs such as VBP, but it is expensive. I modified a stock front leaf to mount under the control arm on bolts so I now have the same height and corner balance adjustability as coilovers.

One thing you do not get with a coilover is the added anti sway. The way the leafs are mounted, the act as an anti roll bar when cornering. The leafs are superior for handling, but do not have the ease of adjustability. Like Tom said, the shocks that go along with a coilover and usually way better than what the car has already. Put good shocks (Penske, JRi, QA1, etc.) on a leaf spring car and the results will be better.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Rear Suspension in an '84

Quick Reply: 1996 Rear Suspension in an '84