C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'84 Air Cleaner housing height?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Default '84 Air Cleaner housing height?

I need some help. I'm currently running a (Toledo Pro IIRC) raised cowl hood to clear the induction system on my turbo setup. I'm thinking on pulling this hood off and putting the stock '84 hood back on for a more stock look if I can re-do/lower the intake system sufficiently to fit under the original hood. A simple measurement of how high the stock '84 air cleaner top surface is above the HEI distributor coil top surface will get me a usable number to figure out how much taller my current setup is, and a ballpark number of how much I will need to lower things.

Thanks for any help here.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:39 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

IIRC it is a tad tighter than the later ones.

off web

Hello Barry
What you need is a hood from a 85 to 96 C4, The 84 hood has the insert glued to its under side that seals to the air cleaner, It takes up lots of space, You mite try modifying the stock hood. Look at a 85 up hood and you will see what i mean. hope this helps.
David Steele

Info is from Grumpyvette years ago on a different forum.

it varies bettween years very slightly but from the top of the block web wall to the under surface of the hood on the front is at about a MAXIMUM of 9.3"-9.4" on the back of the block you have about an 3/4-one inch greater clearance say 10.3" so your limited to about a 9" total intake/air cleaner ETC. to allow for engine movement, most TPI intakes measure at nearly 8.7" so throw a large lump of clay on the front edge where the throttle body mates to the plenum,where the clearance is tightest and add that remaining thickness to 8.7" after shutting the hood on the clay

a reply

I actually have crossfire injection still, with all the ups and downs in the huge air cleaner, so I'll probably have to use multiple pieces of clay to see where everything fits right. 9.3-9.4" sounds pretty close to what I thought, so I'll use that as a guideline when measuring and parts shopping.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

This system here is a reasonable price, sounds like it has all the options I want, and measures in at 7.55" in overall height. All I would need to find is a decent air cleaner that is around 1.5" high (which may be a challenge) or has a heavily recessed base. I may also modify the stock crossfire air cleaner bottom to fit it, for a sort-of sleeper look.

One air cleaner option I thought of was a carb hat 90 degree piece like supercharged and turbo'd cars have. This throttle body has a neck the same as a 4bbl carb, so a carb hat would fit. Do they make any low-riser style? If I could get one of those and then weld up some duct work to make a ricer-style cold air intake (repeat, weld steel pipe, not dryer ducting and hose clamps) then I think that would work pretty well. It would also look a heck of a lot cooler than a plain old round carb air cleaner on there.

Last edited by pologreen1; 01-31-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

So you can deal with the dimension cover lid with a straight edge down the center and height to HEI cover or do you need someone to also add the height for the left/right 'bumps' also. Here's a snapshot that maybe you can use to explain.

Straight edge left/right to measure 'bump height' and then front/rear down center 'height to HEI cover'. I can't help you but I thought I understood what you actually need.

Name:  Cross-Fire.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  81.8 KB

I've no idea whose car but here's where I snagged the snapshot.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...m-get-bad-rap/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-31-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
So you can deal with the dimension cover lid with a straight edge down the center and height to HEI cover or do you need someone to also add the height for the left/right 'bumps' also. Here's a snapshot that maybe you can use to explain.

Straight edge left/right to measure 'bump height' and then front/rear down center 'height to HEI cover'. I can't help you but I thought I understood what you actually need.

Attachment 48250342

I've no idea whose car but here's where I snagged the snapshot.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...m-get-bad-rap/
I'll take either measurement. I've got the air cleaner cover in a box somewhere under 28 years of dust, so if needed I can dig it up and measure the bump heights if needed.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
What you need is a hood from a '85 to '96 C4. The '84 hood has the insert glued to its under side that seals to the air cleaner. It takes up lots of space,
Not true. The cold air duct that's part of the '84 hood goes around the air cleaner, not over the top of it. My '84 seems to be unusual because it has a fiberglass insulation pad in that area, which is about an inch thick. This fiberglass insulation just barely touches the top of my air cleaner.

The '85-'96 hood has a lot more internal ribs to cause interference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-96-Corve...BZEyLJ&vxp=mtr

Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have my CFI out sitting on my tool box, tomorrow ill put up pics and the measurements you are looking for.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MikeP84
I have my CFI out sitting on my tool box, tomorrow ill put up pics and the measurements you are looking for.
I appreciate whatever info you can share.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:50 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Im pretty sure this is what you are looking for, if not or you want more pics just let me know
The following users liked this post:
69427 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 01:11 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Not true. The cold air duct that's part of the '84 hood goes around the air cleaner, not over the top of it. My '84 seems to be unusual because it has a fiberglass insulation pad in that area, which is about an inch thick. This fiberglass insulation just barely touches the top of my air cleaner.

The '85-'96 hood has a lot more internal ribs to cause interference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-96-Corve...BZEyLJ&vxp=mtr

I agree, and also stated the "off web"

The 84 even though has more room... this is a custom installation. That means the only way to ensure is to use the ACTUAL parts in question and measure as Grumpvette's quote pointed out.

In my experience and reading it is not the back of the hood that is an issue it is the front which obviously slopes.

Might be able to get lucky, but I sure would measure from the engine up.

I originally posted a pic of mine that was "supposed to fit" but mine is a '90 and this guy's was an 85? and the hood closed, BUT hit up front and would have eventually cracked. (those hoods should be the same)

He is apparently willing to modify the intake so to me I would put the hood on and work back.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MikeP84

Im pretty sure this is what you are looking for, if not or you want more pics just let me know
That's what I was needing. Looks like I need to figure out how to take out 2" of height if this idea is going to work. I compared the stock and raised cowl hoods, and it appears that the height difference is a similar 2".

Thanks Mike.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:37 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Yep no problem! The HEI was about 3/4" lower than the stock cover and id guess that the stock cover was around 1/2" lower than the hood. I don't have it on the car so I cant measure hood to intake clearance. I tried to measure at the highest point of the intake but as you can see I don't really have a straight edge or anything flat.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
In my experience and reading it is not the back of the hood that is an issue it is the front which obviously slopes.
That is correct, and that is the area of the air cleaner housing that touches the insulation pad in my '84.

If I extend a straight line from the flat surface of my stock valve cover, (that is the beveled edge of the valve cover that becomes level when it's installed on the engine,) I measure 4 7/8" to the front corner of my air cleaner housing.

Get notified of new replies

To '84 Air Cleaner housing height?

Quick Reply: '84 Air Cleaner housing height?