C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil leak trackdown

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Oil leak trackdown

Not super familar with LT1 yet. New car to me. Didnt notice leak in garage at all after I parked it from a 2 hr drive home.. but then I took it out for a short buzz around the hood and 3 weeks later I see a nice big oil slick on my epoxy floor.. I see a drop on both the oil pan and the bellhousing (automatic)...

So what I did is dabbed both leaks off with cloth and then started the car and let it run for about 5 minutes.

I do also see some oil which looks like its leaking from the drivers valve cover onto the rear part of the head and exhaust manifold.. I do not see anything in back of the intake manifold.

So.. if I see a drop on the oil pan or bellhousing form does it mean anything?

Just trying to see what I can do to reduce this.. if its the rear seal that will need to drip drip drip until I can afford to have that done.. thanks

Its hard to see in this photo but there is a drop on both the bellhousing and the oil pan right below the drain plug.
Attached Images  

Last edited by barchetta1; 02-07-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Just a best guess but its common for the real seal, intake gasket AND the transmission gasket/seal to leak. I would save money and have the trans and oil pan/rear seal done at the same time by a place that will warranty the work (its about 50/50 they will fix it the first time - not worth doing it on your own unless you have done it before and have a lift) you can then fix the intake when time money allows. In the mean time, steam clean or brake clean the old oil and add some tracer dye to your oil and drive it. Then use a UV light to see where it is leaking the most.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:00 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been fighting leaks on my '96, as well and I'm with you. With 128k on it, the rear main's only getting done if I rebuild it.

In the last four months, we've changed the intake set, valve covers, both oil senders behind the intake (just because they were accessible), all three seals on the timing cover and the crank sensor o-ring. Next is the oil pan gasket and oil filter adapter.

I'm starting to think "LT" stands for "Leaks Terribly". I don't care if it marks its spot. It's old. I just wish I could cure the one that's hitting the passenger side cat. It's embarrassing when I stop somewhere and it stinks.

Keep us other oil leak guys posted on what you find.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette95
Just a best guess but its common for the real seal, intake gasket AND the transmission gasket/seal to leak. I would save money and have the trans and oil pan/rear seal done at the same time by a place that will warranty the work (its about 50/50 they will fix it the first time - not worth doing it on your own unless you have done it before and have a lift) you can then fix the intake when time money allows. In the mean time, steam clean or brake clean the old oil and add some tracer dye to your oil and drive it. Then use a UV light to see where it is leaking the most.

Damn this is good advice.. especially about taking it to a shop that will warranty it! Will cost more but worth it! This isnt sarcasm..

Last edited by barchetta1; 02-08-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2LZ
I've been fighting leaks on my '96, as well and I'm with you. With 128k on it, the rear main's only getting done if I rebuild it.

In the last four months, we've changed the intake set, valve covers, both oil senders behind the intake (just because they were accessible), all three seals on the timing cover and the crank sensor o-ring. Next is the oil pan gasket and oil filter adapter.

I'm starting to think "LT" stands for "Leaks Terribly". I don't care if it marks its spot. It's old. I just wish I could cure the one that's hitting the passenger side cat. It's embarrassing when I stop somewhere and it stinks.

Keep us other oil leak guys posted on what you find.
Have you tried any of the magical liquid cures? Amazon feedback suggests a 50/50 chance of some of them working..
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

So it seems the drip came back after clearing the oil from trans cover and oil tank cover. However, its dripping off the oil filter..

any ideas except the obvious? I have not tried to tighten yet but somehow I doubt its coming from the oil filter seal.. those are pretty rock solid in general..

see photo..
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Have you tried cleaning it off thoroughly and using a lot of dye? More than recommended just to make it easier?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
So it seems the drip came back after clearing the oil from trans cover and oil tank cover. However, its dripping off the oil filter..

any ideas except the obvious? I have not tried to tighten yet but somehow I doubt its coming from the oil filter seal.. those are pretty rock solid in general..

see photo..
Mine does the same thing with the drip on a known good filter. Since I started from the top down and I know my intake, valve covers and senders are all new/good, I'm chasing the oil filter adapter next. Pan will be later this month.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak trackdown

Quick Reply: Oil leak trackdown