C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Symptoms of bad electronic spark control module

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Symptoms of bad electronic spark control module

1989 stock, auto transmission

this is us not the module in the distributor, but is the module that mounts on the passenger side of the car near the rear of the engine. I think it connects to the knock sensor. Any way to check it to see if it’s ok and working. Still trying to locate cause of misfire and slight and intermittent idle surge. Also does it work in open mode or just closed mode?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you monitor timing with timing light and hit exhaust manifold, watch for timing to retard. If you have a way to monitor data you should see a knock signal to correspond with hitting manifold.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Can you take the module out and have it tested?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
1989 stock, auto transmission

this is us not the module in the distributor, but is the module that mounts on the passenger side of the car near the rear of the engine. I think it connects to the knock sensor. Any way to check it to see if it’s ok and working. Still trying to locate cause of misfire and slight and intermittent idle surge. Also does it work in open mode or just closed mode?
The ESC module, if faulty, shouldn't be able to cause a misfire or idle surge. It will either do nothing, or merely ask the ECM to delay/retard the spark. The ECM won't eliminate the spark either way.

Don't know the details of the '89 ECM calibration, but I suspect that the closed-loop fueling and spark enable conditions could be independent of each other.

I'd look elsewhere to find the driveability problem cause, but if you are able to eliminate the non-ESC items and the problem still exists, and want to test the ESC system on the car, drop me a PM. I've got a plug in harness that will let you monitor the ESC hardware operation while driving down the road. If you strike me as a trustworthy sort, I might be able to be talked into loaning it out.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
The ESC module, if faulty, shouldn't be able to cause a misfire or idle surge. It will either do nothing, or merely ask the ECM to delay/retard the spark. The ECM won't eliminate the spark either way.

Don't know the details of the '89 ECM calibration, but I suspect that the closed-loop fueling and spark enable conditions could be independent of each other.

I'd look elsewhere to find the driveability problem cause, but if you are able to eliminate the non-ESC items and the problem still exists, and want to test the ESC system on the car, drop me a PM. I've got a plug in harness that will let you monitor the ESC hardware operation while driving down the road. If you strike me as a trustworthy sort, I might be able to be talked into loaning it out.
Who made the harness? I have a 91 so it isn't applicable to me but I'm curious. I monitor the KS on my scanner. Any chance the maker is around and making something like that for a 91?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Who made the harness? I have a 91 so it isn't applicable to me but I'm curious. I monitor the KS on my scanner. Any chance the maker is around and making something like that for a 91?
My co-worker made it for me a hundred years ago, and I recently modified it to also (do development) work on non-ECM C3s. I did ESC work on the LT1/LT4/LT5 and a bunch of the non-fun engines in the nineties. The L98 was before my time in that group.

I'm trying to dust the cobwebs off my memory at the moment. In '91 was the ESC board soldered to the memcal?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

My co-worker made it for me a hundred years ago, and I recently modified it to also (do development) work on non-ECM C3s. I did ESC work on the LT1/LT4/LT5 and a bunch of the non-fun engines in the nineties. The L98 was before my time in that group.

I'm trying to dust the cobwebs off my memory at the moment. In '91 was the ESC board soldered to the memcal?
I believe it was. I don't see it going to a module. Supposed to be the earlier one was more sensitive than the later one till they went to it in the ECM
Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

thanks for for the reply. I have mt2500 and computer using tunerpro rt with ostrich 2. Can’t I monitor the ESC with them?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mlm0

thanks for for the reply. I have mt2500 and computer using tunerpro rt with ostrich 2. Can’t I monitor the ESC with them?

I'm not looking at it but I believe you can. There should be a knock retard and a cumulative count. At least there was on my Auto Xray where one counts knock and the other one is cumulative and resets at 128 or something

Last edited by aklim; 02-09-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Symptoms of bad electronic spark control module

Quick Reply: Symptoms of bad electronic spark control module