C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4l60e 1996 won't manually shift into 1st gear

Old 02-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 4l60e 1996 won't manually shift into 1st gear

I can't figure it out, replaced the boot, inspected shifter linkage, just can't get it manually shifted down to first gear. Anyone else had this issue? Please chime in
Old 02-08-2018, 04:14 AM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Bump
Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Teothe1nonly
I can't figure it out, replaced the boot, inspected shifter linkage, just can't get it manually shifted down to first gear. Anyone else had this issue? Please chime in
Clarify. You can't get the shifter to move into the 1st gear position or the transmission won't go to 1st gear once the shifter is in place. Which one.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Originally Posted by arbee
Clarify. You can't get the shifter to move into the 1st gear position or the transmission won't go to 1st gear once the shifter is in place. Which one.

CLear as day. Can't manually put it into first gear position, as I stated earlier in the original post. The Trans shifts from 1st gear when I'm in Drive and I just had it built. This must be a shifter linkage issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Your original post wasn't "clear as day" . Bit of an attitude Hoss. See ya.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Your original post wasn't "clear as day" . Bit of an attitude Hoss. See ya.

clearly states can't manually shift it into first gear IN THE TITLE, why are people so sensitive. Wow. Good day to you sir.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

With all due respect ..... this was not clear to me either when I read it.
I'm trying to understand if you cannot get the shift LEVER to MOVE down to first gear......... or....... when you get the lever where you feel it's where first gear is the trans will not engage.

I'm sure its clear in your mind..... but not necessarily to those who may be trying to help.
The following users liked this post:
arbee (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
With all due respect ..... this was not clear to me either when I read it.
I'm trying to understand if you cannot get the shift LEVER to MOVE down to first gear......... or....... when you get the lever where you feel it's where first gear is the trans will not engage.

I'm sure its clear in your mind..... but not necessarily to those who may be trying to help.

I can't get the shifter to go down into 1st gear lever position. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but saying manually shifting it into 1st means exactly that.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:22 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

If you said that you couldn't get the shifter into first it would have been "clear as day"
Old 02-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Originally Posted by 64Scout
If you said that you couldn't get the shifter into first it would have been "clear as day"

Read my first , original post, I say it in the title and description.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Read my first , original post, I say it in the title and description.
Take a moment and step back. Three of us now have called you on this and you insist on saying it is self explanatory. It is NOT. You keep saying that your original post says you cannot manually shift into first. That can be interpreted two ways. You are able to move into 1st position but the trans still will not go into 1st, OR you cannot physically get the shifter into the 1st position. Your original post does not distinguish.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Take a moment and step back. Three of us now have called you on this and you insist on saying it is self explanatory. It is NOT. You keep saying that your original post says you cannot manually shift into first. That can be interpreted two ways. You are able to move into 1st position but the trans still will not go into 1st, OR you cannot physically get the shifter into the 1st position. Your original post does not distinguish.

I see the confusion. Makes sense to me now. Apologize for that, I know what i meant so it was clear to me I guess. Well yea, i can't put the shifter into first gear, seems like it's being blocked, and I can't find the reason why. The linkage to the trans side will click into first when I spin the nut back, but the shifter inside the cabin won' physically let me take it to first.

Last edited by Teothe1nonly; 02-08-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Most forum members are here to help. Arbee is a wealth of knowledge and has helped numerous members. If you are asking for help, don't come in with an attitude. Back on topic, often the shifter boot will get bunched up and prevent the lever from being able to be pulled into position. This has happened to me before. Make sure the boot is pulled all the way up so the wrinkles are near the ****, not the console plate.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't believe I can get my shift lever to go to the 1st gear position either. Never had been able to and attributed it to the shifter boot that is now 24 years old. But when I had to do some maintenance and had to remove the shifter boot and bezel, I have noticed it goes physically right into the first gear position no problem.

Just figured the boot was stiff but there was no real problem and thought I might be the only one with this condition. It does not bother me or have a problem with this condition.
Otherwise all is good.

Just saying and don't know if others can relate to this.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Been a long time since I have had it apart so I may be dreaming about the workings. Make sure there is no physical barrier that is jamming up in the mechanism when trying to shift to that position. A coin was the culprit in another vehicle I had. Longshot but check closely.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Been a long time since I have had it apart so I may be dreaming about the workings. Make sure there is no physical barrier that is jamming up in the mechanism when trying to shift to that position. A coin was the culprit in another vehicle I had. Longshot but check closely.

Thanks guys! Ive tried going into first with the center console out as well and it wont click into 1st. I have meticulously looked around and searched for obstructions and found none. I'm at a loss. Maybe because it came with a 3.07 rear axle ratio the Dealer put a blockout on it like they did on F bodies?

Last edited by Teothe1nonly; 02-08-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 AM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I move my shifter to first manually, it is hardly noticeable that it has shifted again past second. the up shift into second is barely noticed and can easily be missed...... I guess that when you pull the shifter all the way back to what should be first, and accelerate, it shifts into second on its own?

Get notified of new replies

To 4l60e 1996 won't manually shift into 1st gear

Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Teothe1nonly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Komiller118
When I move my shifter to first manually, it is hardly noticeable that it has shifted again past second. the up shift into second is barely noticed and can easily be missed...... I guess that when you pull the shifter all the way back to what should be first, and accelerate, it shifts into second on its own?

I can't even pull the shifter down and have it click into 1st. It just won't click into first, I take it all the way down by 1st but it will click back into second
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I can't even pull the shifter down and have it click into 1st. It just won't click into first, I take it all the way down by 1st but it will click back into second
Sounds like something is pulling it back. Either the shift cable or the transmission. I would first look under the car and look at the shift cable. See if it is kinked and it lays properly. Check to see if the mount for the cable on the transmission seems to be in the right location and nothing is bent that would cause the shift cable to "pull back" on the transmission.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

OP - I'd think you remove the cable retainer at the shifter in the car and make sure the lever will actually pass through and to all of the detents to first. In most AT shifters the detent rod in the actual shifter can become an issue. In the C4 a button in the **** controls that rod. There's a spring on the shifter that controls the detent.

Do you know that it's not going to 1st and maybe it's just a PRNDL pointer issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e 1996 won't manually shift into 1st gear