C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 4+3 OD Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default 1985 4+3 OD Sluggish

For a while now, my OD has taken a moment to engage. I chalked this up to the OD not wanting to engage while I have my foot down or the RPMs are too low or something. It has started to get more sluggish engaging recently, however.

This morning I really couldn't get it to come on at all. Yes, the car was at temp (180 F) and I was doing about 55 at ~2200 RPM (forget exact RPM but the OD should definitely engage at that point).

It is kinda cold here today, ~32 F, which seems to always have a negative effect on the OD performance.

Only time I could get it to engage fully was coasting downhill at the above speed/RPM. On level ground, even coasting, it wouldn't engage. The OD light on the dash comes on, so I know the computer THINKS it should be on.

Do I just need to add fluid to the unit? I suppose if I'm going to add fluid I should drop the pan first and change the fluid entirely. Anything else I should check?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Do 85s have kickdown cables for the overdrive? May need to be adjusted possibly as well. Just saying.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Do 85s have kickdown cables for the overdrive? May need to be adjusted possibly as well. Just saying.
Sorry to be dumb...but what is a kickdown cable?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Ok did some Googling, looks like the kickdown cable only tells the O/D unit to shut off under full throttle. I don't THINK that's the issue based on the behavior.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Ok did some Googling, looks like the kickdown cable only tells the O/D unit to shut off under full throttle. I don't THINK that's the issue based on the behavior.
Ah, see I was thinking it was what set kickdown at any position. It's been a while since I really messed with it.

If you suspect that you are low on fluid I recommend that you check it. It's doing more harm than good if that's the case...
Bfenty (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

For a while now, my OD has taken a moment to engage. I chalked this up to the OD not wanting to engage while I have my foot down or the RPMs are too low or something. It has started to get more sluggish engaging recently, however.

This morning I really couldn't get it to come on at all. Yes, the car was at temp (180 F) and I was doing about 55 at ~2200 RPM (forget exact RPM but the OD should definitely engage at that point).

It is kinda cold here today, ~32 F, which seems to always have a negative effect on the OD performance.

Only time I could get it to engage fully was coasting downhill at the above speed/RPM. On level ground, even coasting, it wouldn't engage. The OD light on the dash comes on, so I know the computer THINKS it should be on.

Do I just need to add fluid to the unit? I suppose if I'm going to add fluid I should drop the pan first and change the fluid entirely. Anything else I should check?

i forget if u already dropped the pan on this unit? have u checked fluid on it yet?
Bfenty (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

i forget if u already dropped the pan on this unit? have u checked fluid on it yet?
I have not. Between baby and bad weather it hasn’t happened. Sounds like I need to park it until I can take a look. I’ve been planning on servicing the OD, manual trans and rear differential all at once sometime soon.

I assume that driving without the OD if it has low fluid will still damage the unit? It is still transferring power even if it’s not engaged, right?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Reverse still works just fine too-which I’ve read is a good sign for the OD unit being ok.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

brandon i think there are gears still spinning. ut not sure about torque applied into the od unit in gears 1-4.

drip that pan and show us what you see!!
Bfenty (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Wow-thanks all for the information. I’m learning a lot about how this OD works.

Lucky for me, I DO have a spare OD unit that I know is in great shape. Not sure I want to jump to just swapping it out but I have a backup if need be, or if there’s a part I need to pull. I’m ASSUMING it’s difficult to just swap the unit out?

it might be a few weeks before I can drop the trans pan. I’ll park it until then and provide updates when I can. Thank you everyone for the advice!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Wow-thanks all for the information. I’m learning a lot about how this OD works.

Lucky for me, I DO have a spare OD unit that I know is in great shape. Not sure I want to jump to just swapping it out but I have a backup if need be, or if there’s a part I need to pull. I’m ASSUMING it’s difficult to just swap the unit out?

it might be a few weeks before I can drop the trans pan. I’ll park it until then and provide updates when I can. Thank you everyone for the advice!
Go to the following link. The video author has several videos including rebuild of this O/D unit.

Bfenty (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by arbee
Go to the following link. The video author has several videos including rebuild of this O/D unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6vA3UR4jM
Great information there, thank you.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

one other thing I was thinking-is it possible/easy to add a drain plug to the pan once it's been dropped? I was thinking about doing that to make it easy to drain the fluid, and then just swap the fluid every time I change the oil or something. I know that's more often than necessary but I'd rather overdo it than ruin the OD.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
You would then be overlooking the most important aspect of "changing the fluid". Being able to inspect WHAT is IN the pan. Hopefully nothing of course. But if there is any debris indicative of an impending failure, you want to know about it.
True. So you don't recommend doing that, I take it.

I'm not saying I'd never drop the pan, just thought it might make it easier to swap fluid often. But I'm really not much of a mechanic so I'll take your advice.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Way too much diagnostic information being thrown at you at this point of your investigation into your problem. Start with the very basic and inexpensive fluid and filter change. Your problem could very easily be only that your O/D fluid level is too low. It happened the same way to mine. I had a small leak and the level dropped too low. You can add some additional fluid, but you might as well just do the required fluid change. With your symptoms so far, I'd go that route.
Bfenty (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Way too much diagnostic information being thrown at you at this point of your investigation into your problem. Start with the very basic and inexpensive fluid and filter change. Your problem could very easily be only that your O/D fluid level is too low. It happened the same way to mine. I had a small leak and the level dropped too low. You can add some additional fluid, but you might as well just do the required fluid change. With your symptoms so far, I'd go that route.

BS. Too much information! What a ridiculous statement.
Bfenty (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks! I'm a little slower to diagnose these days (ask VikingTrader-I used to diagnose and fix something in hours not weeks

Also there is NO SUCH THING as too much information! But you're right, I need to start with the basics. those videos were hugely helpful. I have a tendency to get paranoid and assume the worst-that my car is about to go up in a giant fireball or something.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 4+3 OD Sluggish

Old 02-15-2018, 12:15 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks! I'm a little slower to diagnose these days (ask VikingTrader-I used to diagnose and fix something in hours not weeks

Also there is NO SUCH THING as too much information! But you're right, I need to start with the basics. those videos were hugely helpful. I have a tendency to get paranoid and assume the worst-that my car is about to go up in a giant fireball or something.
Don't be overly concerned with that technical 17 minute video yet or all the technical comments. You don't need to be. A simple fluid change may be all you need. My ridiculous comment of "too much information" while hard for "arbee" to figure out, just mean's that some guys love to dazzle you with brilliance or baffle you with bullsh-t. It's all up to you. You can try the cheapest approach first, or replace the whole transmission at a cost of thousands of dollars. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Bfenty (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Don't be overly concerned with that technical 17 minute video yet or all the technical comments. You don't need to be. A simple fluid change may be all you need. My ridiculous comment of "too much information" while hard for "arbee" to figure out, just mean's that some guys love to dazzle you with brilliance or baffle you with bullsh-t. It's all up to you. You can try the cheapest approach first, or replace the whole transmission at a cost of thousands of dollars. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Speaking of "No Brainers"!! First of all, it is the OP I am here to help, not wanabees like yourself. The OP ASKED for information and was provided that, of which he thanked us for. IHBD shows he has familiarity with these boxes and shared his knowledge. I provided a video from one of the most respected transmission people in existence. Do you consider his information bullshit? The OP stated he is unfamiliar with these OD units. With additional information, he is probably more comfortable with what he is dealing with. I will take my cue from him, not from a blowhard who is trying to dazzle with what he does not know.
The following 2 users liked this post by arbee:
Bfenty (02-15-2018), IHBD (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I appreciate you both-the transmission video is hugely helpful because now I can picture what is going on in there in my head, and it will help me understand what I feel/hear in the future. I love seeing a clear demonstration of what's going on inside my car, and having a good understanding of everything makes it easier to diagnose even the simple stuff.

That said, I also need to start with the basics and remember not to panic. It's probably a simple solution! And if it's not, I will deal with that when it happens. I appreciate the reminder to keep it simple.

Love this forum and everyone on it!

Quick Reply: 1985 4+3 OD Sluggish