C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

question about pulling engine from an 86 4+3

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:49 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default question about pulling engine from an 86 4+3

quick question guys.

ive never pulled an engine before but im 90% of the way there from what i read and my only question is about disconnecting the engone from the trans. all threads ive read are for autos. I have dropped a 700r4 before so im familiar with that.

question: do i have to remove the c beam to lower the "tail" of the 4+3 to both access the top bellhousing bolts and also to "pull" the trans off the driveshaft of the engine?

im a bit fuzzy here.

im asking because ive got the accessories off the front of the engine and the intake/dizz and valve covers are already off.

id like to repaint the k member and clean the F out of this whole region and additionally id like to put a new throw out bearing into the 4+3.

im real close. just fuzzy on how i actually disengage the trans from the engine.

guidence?

here is where it sits:

ive got the penetrating oil on the manifold/y bolts so i will pull this if im close!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:01 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

You do not have to remove the c-beam. Using large screwdrivers or a prybar, push it towards the back of the car using the filler plugs on the side of the tranny as leverage against the front of the c-beam. When you have it far back enough, the back of the tranny can drop and clear the c-beam. Make sure you keep a jack under the oilpan of the motor while you lower the tranny with it's own jack. Once it's clear, separate the two parts. Good luck. Don't forget the connector for the reverse switch and the speedometer and the connectors on the left side of the tranny.

Last edited by 383vett; 02-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:39 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

thnx 383.

i was going to leave the trans in the car and just pull the engine.

if i am i terpreting your correctly, there is no way to remove the engine without dropping the trans (by disconnecting from c beam as you have described).

or is there a way to pull engine without disconnecting the trans from the c beam?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

Drop the trans and the c-beam and clean everything.

Also, I would suggest dropping the cradle "K member" and pressure washing it or even taking it in to be media blasted and powder or paint it.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:08 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
thnx 383.

i was going to leave the trans in the car and just pull the engine.

if i am i terpreting your correctly, there is no way to remove the engine without dropping the trans (by disconnecting from c beam as you have described).

or is there a way to pull engine without disconnecting the trans from the c beam?
I've done that many times. Don't have to disconnect the driveshaft or the c-beam. Support the tranny. I remove the 3 motor mount to motor bolts on each side and slide the motor forward. I have also pulled the pin but the motor has to be raised quite a bit and I have found it easier to remove the 6 bolts. I have a weird assortment of tools so it's not to hard for me to do it this way.

Get notified of new replies

To question about pulling engine from an 86 4+3

Quick Reply: question about pulling engine from an 86 4+3