C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fixed my speedometer (1991)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 PM
19corvette91
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Fixed my speedometer (1991)

Passing this along as it worked for me:

On my 1991, the speedometer/fuel gauge was randomly scrambling, freezing and cutting out. I tried taking it out and cleaning the 10 wire connector to the LCD. No joy. I had some time to play with it again the other day. I took a small, thin, flat bladed tool (insert bad joke here) and gently pressed down on the individual wire connectors on the 10 wire connector to the LCD. This tightened up the connection a little. What do you know, it fixed the issue.

I figured I would pass this along. Worked for me. Your mileage may vary. I was fearing the worst (bad CCM, bad IC on cluster assembly). But this seems to have worked for me. Hope this helps someone as this seems to be a somewhat common issue on the 1990 - 1996 Vettes.
The following 4 users liked this post by 19corvette91:
C4 Grey Beard (12-26-2018), ctmccloskey (12-24-2018), Red 91 (12-24-2018), RtStuf (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 09:55 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Mojo...
Old 12-24-2018, 04:17 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

I rebuilt my Digital dash a couple years ago with the help of Bryan at BATEE.com and was very surprised at the condition of the electrical connections throughout my 1988 Coupe. After seeing the voltage drop that my car had I knew it was time to do something about it. I started at the battery and cleaned every connection no matter how good it looked. When I hit the stud on the left frame rail behind the battery but in front of drivers door I saw why I was having problems. The post was covered in corrosion and so were the terminals. I cleaned them all and then I had to tackle the Fuse Block as it was covered in a whitish powder blocking any current from passing through the fuses them selves. After the fuse panel I started on the ground side, I found several bad grounds and a couple broken ground straps. The last ground strap brought back my power antenna back to life.
Before I had cleaned the connections the voltage at the radio was less than 11 volts afterwards it was full battery voltage everywhere. I might add that the equipment works much better with full power available to it.

BATEE.com sold me new light bulbs that are not as hard on the PC boards in the dashboard. The most important thing I learned from Bryan was that there are a lot of components which have lived for more than twice their intended lives. Specifically the Electrolytic capacitors that are waiting to pop. Call Bryan if you have any more problems with your dash, He is "The Man" when it comes to Digital Dashboards!

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 AM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Tagging for later. My speedo goes haywire here and there. I emailed Batee people and they said it's more than likely my connectors .Gonna have to remove the cluster and check them out .

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my speedometer (1991)

Quick Reply: Fixed my speedometer (1991)