C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flowmaster force II on Lt1 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM
tbryan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the complete Flowmaster system on my 95 six speed. Absolutely no drone . Sounds great.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:07 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Ive heard no real good about removing cats because low end power is lost on the lt1.. .
...back pressure...is sometimes a very GOOD thing.
Against my better judgment, I'm going to point out that the above statements are not true. Back pressure is never, ever, a good thing for power/torque/BMEP/whatever, at any rpm or throttle opening. Especially once you're past the collector area, the best exhaust (for power/torque) is a non-existent one. That's not practical on most street cars, so you want the least restriction possible that still gets the sound and noise levels you want. I've hashed this out in a different thread on this site. That was a painful discussion, but it's worth reading if you can sift through all the noise.

None of this should be taken as encouragement to remove your cats. They serve a purpose, and also help to reduce overall noise levels of the car. Good cats also aren't very restrictive at all. There are reasons to remove them, and reasons to keep them. But just understand that removing them won't reduce low-end power (or power at any other rpm range, either).
Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Against my better judgment, I'm going to point out that the above statements are not true. Back pressure is never, ever, a good thing for power/torque/BMEP/whatever, at any rpm or throttle opening. Especially once you're past the collector area, the best exhaust (for power/torque) is a non-existent one. That's not practical on most street cars, so you want the least restriction possible that still gets the sound and noise levels you want. I've hashed this out in a different thread on this site. That was a painful discussion, but it's worth reading if you can sift through all the noise.

None of this should be taken as encouragement to remove your cats. They serve a purpose, and also help to reduce overall noise levels of the car. Good cats also aren't very restrictive at all. There are reasons to remove them, and reasons to keep them. But just understand that removing them won't reduce low-end power (or power at any other rpm range, either).

That's what my education and experience has taught me.....I once lost my welds after the front y-pipe on my car and had to pull over and drop the rest of the exhaust to eliminate it from dragging the asphalt.

That was a large section of the exhaust of course. So I was running basically open long tube headers/no cats/no mufflers/no rear y pipe....

Sounded like a race car and it was FUN to drive.......

I did not dyno before and after and I have posted my rwhp on here several times with a full exhaust. I just needed to get the exhaust back on the car, that was my priority.

But let me tell you; I took a curious stab at my brother's 03 S/C Stang for ***** and grins on the way back to pick up the exhaust I left behind.....Let's just say the results were much better against that Cobra running open headers vs. full exhaust....a little better than the but o meter, but I can tell you for a fact it was REAL HAPPY with an open exhaust!!

Back pressure does nothing for my car except eliminate some SBC noise.......

Last edited by 856SPEED; 02-24-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:27 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

It was a painful discussion but yet you wanted to bring it up yet again in a thread where the primary focus is concerning the audio characteristics of the flowmaster force II exhaust system?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
It was a painful discussion but yet you wanted to bring it up yet again in a thread where the primary focus is concerning the audio characteristics of the flowmaster force II exhaust system?
Well, I did disclaimer my reply by pointing out that it was against my better judgment.

I thought it was relevant to your topic, since you brought up removing the cats vs not removing them, in the context of losing low-end power if you remove them. So actually, you brought it up. The pain in that other thread wasn't caused by people like me bringing actual tech to a tech discussion. The painful part was when someone kept insisting that I was wrong, yet he kept repeating evidence that either didn't support or that directly contradicted his claims. I kept trying to point him in the direction of research and evidence so that he would learn what we were talking about, and he continually refused. The end result is a thread that has lots of useful info (from several people), but with a really poor signal-to-noise ratio. You have to sift through a lot of crap to find the useful stuff. That's unfortunate.

Anyway, you are free to ignore my replies here, of course.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:01 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Well, I did disclaimer my reply by pointing out that it was against my better judgment.

I thought it was relevant to your topic, since you brought up removing the cats vs not removing them, in the context of losing low-end power if you remove them. So actually, you brought it up. The pain in that other thread wasn't caused by people like me bringing actual tech to a tech discussion. The painful part was when someone kept insisting that I was wrong, yet he kept repeating evidence that either didn't support or that directly contradicted his claims. I kept trying to point him in the direction of research and evidence so that he would learn what we were talking about, and he continually refused. The end result is a thread that has lots of useful info (from several people), but with a really poor signal-to-noise ratio. You have to sift through a lot of crap to find the useful stuff. That's unfortunate.

Anyway, you are free to ignore my replies here, of course.
I see, I brought it up... I see why the thread you mention was painful
Perhaps we could get back on track of this particular thread and not revisit painful threads.

Or pehaps we could just start a debate about oil viscosity.

Last edited by barchetta1; 02-24-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:37 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I like the system and the solid feedback in this thread. But dang a brand new one is 1k!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:49 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
I like the system and the solid feedback in this thread. But dang a brand new one is 1k!
Yeah, well thats cheap compared to some..

I ended up saying screw it.. went with NXT Step. Leaving all alone but the mufflers.. I just wanted a little increased volume. I didnt want to pay 8% of the value of my car for an exhaust.

Doing a full write up including before and after.
The following users liked this post:
9T3VETTE (03-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Flowmaster force II on Lt1 cars