C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can new injectors cause fuel pump to go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default Can new injectors cause fuel pump to go bad?

A mechanic suggested I replace the fuel pump at the same time I replace the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator. He said that the fuel pump may go bad because I would have all new parts installed and the old pump would have to work harder. Is this possible?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
A mechanic suggested I replace the fuel pump at the same time I replace the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator. He said that the fuel pump may go bad because I would have all new parts installed and the old pump would have to work harder. Is this possible?
No
The fuel pressure will remain the same, the pump could not care less if you have new injectors.
How old is the fuel pump? I only got 10 years from the fuel pump,
they are dirt cheap so buy one and forget it for 10 years.
A tow costs 10x the price of a fuel pump ..... new pump is cheap insurance.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Is this your regular mechanic? If so, he should be your ex- mechanic. Injectors are a set. If you replace them, replace them as a set. Also send out your cold start injector for cleaning. Obviously you need new gaskets. Take apart the TB and clean it. The rubber is old on the FPR so while you are there.

As for the pump, replace it only if it isn't working right. Do a WOT run test, leakdown test and see what is going on. Otherwise, he is either trying to fleece you and it is part of his habit or he is an idiot.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gerardvg
No
The fuel pressure will remain the same, the pump could not care less if you have new injectors.
How old is the fuel pump? I only got 10 years from the fuel pump,
they are dirt cheap so buy one and forget it for 10 years.
A tow costs 10x the price of a fuel pump ..... new pump is cheap insurance.
My pump lasted for a long while. More than 10 years. I changed it because I was going with a higher performance engine and I wanted a bigger pump for more room. Most of my other cars don't have the pump changed unless they are broke.

According to the idiot lore going on, I should be replacing them every week. You see, I run my tank to empty and it would suck up debris and/or the pump wouldn't be able to cool itself in the fuel bath and burn up. Also when the car is not running, I take my battery out and put it on the bare concrete floor.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
Is this your regular mechanic? If so, he should be your ex- mechanic. Injectors are a set. If you replace them, replace them as a set. Also send out your cold start injector for cleaning. Obviously you need new gaskets. Take apart the TB and clean it. The rubber is old on the FPR so while you are there.

As for the pump, replace it only if it isn't working right. Do a WOT run test, leakdown test and see what is going on. Otherwise, he is either trying to fleece you and it is part of his habit or he is an idiot.

I am replacing all these parts just as preventative maint. and because they are the 33 year old originals with 51,000 miles on them. Strangely they all still work fine. Just old.
List of things I already have and ready to install in my bone stock 1985 L98:
1. all 8 (24lb.) matched rebuilt injectors & "O" rings from F.I.C.
2. a new fuel pressure regulator diaphram & spring assm. from F.I.C.
3. all new plenum gaskets from F.I.C.
4. a new EGR valve & gasket
The throttle body has just been removed, cleaned and new gaskets installed. The original fuel pump works perfectly so I don't intend to replace it now if I don't have to. And no, this guy has never worked on my car before although he is an ASE mechanic. I was just a bit nervous when he mentioned that my fuel system may act up if I don't change the fuel pump.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 02-20-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I am replacing all these parts just as preventative maint. and because they are the 33 year old originals with 51,000 miles on them. Strangely they all still work fine. Just old.
List of things I already have and ready to install in my bone stock 1985 L98:
1. all 8 (24lb.) matched rebuilt injectors & "O" rings from F.I.C.
2. a new fuel pressure regulator diaphram & spring assm. from F.I.C.
3. all new plenum gaskets from F.I.C.
4. a new EGR valve & gasket

The throttle body has just been removed, cleaned and new gaskets installed. The original fuel pump works perfectly so I don't intend to replace it now if I don't have to. And no, this guy has never worked on my car before although he is an ASE mechanic. I was just a bit nervous when he mentioned that my fuel system may act up if I don't change the fuel pump.
So far you did a lot of solid work. The older injectors could be the old Multec ones which are not tolerant of ethanol and you can't get non-ethanol gas readily. At least around here everything but a couple places has ethanol so it has to be a lot of work to always get it from that place. Kinda why I don't want to have to hassle with it on longer trips since I fill up only when empty. That said, a couple of questions.

Did you get the cold start injector serviced, while everything is out? FIC does that.

When you cleaned the throttle body, did you take the IAC solenoid out and gently spray the pintle, clean all passages with the IAC housing off and the top plate off? Reassemble with fresh gaskets? Many people don't do that part. I'd also have done the coolant bypass which makes it easier to take off in future.

I don't care if he is ASE or God certified. He should know better. So either he is an idiot or trying to bend you over and shove it in without lube. Run like hell.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If your mechanic was honest, he would have told you it might be a good idea to replace the parts because they are old, not that the new injectors may cause them to fail. Bail in this guy and buy a fsm and learn to work in your own car.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 383vett
If your mechanic was honest, he would have told you it might be a good idea to replace the parts because they are old, not that the new injectors may cause them to fail. Bail in this guy and buy a fsm and learn to work in your own car.
That logic I can go with. After all, the pulsator is rubber and rubber breaks down after a while. I can't imagine using a 30 year old rubber but that he said that the old pump has to work harder with the new injectors makes me think he is dishonest or stupid. From what I see, the pump overpressures the system by design and the regulator keeps it in place. Pump is too stupid to know what is in the system.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
So far you did a lot of solid work. The older injectors could be the old Multec ones which are not tolerant of ethanol and you can't get non-ethanol gas readily. At least around here everything but a couple places has ethanol so it has to be a lot of work to always get it from that place. Kinda why I don't want to have to hassle with it on longer trips since I fill up only when empty. That said, a couple of questions.

Did you get the cold start injector serviced, while everything is out? FIC does that.

When you cleaned the throttle body, did you take the IAC solenoid out and gently spray the pintle, clean all passages with the IAC housing off and the top plate off? Reassemble with fresh gaskets? Many people don't do that part. I'd also have done the coolant bypass which makes it easier to take off in future.

I don't care if he is ASE or God certified. He should know better. So either he is an idiot or trying to bend you over and shove it in without lube. Run like hell.
The cold start injector will be taken care of. Yes, the throttle body was done exactly as you stated. The throttle body coolant passage was incredibly clean and no damage inside. As far as the mechanic, no, he's not my mechanic. He was just I guy I spoke with who is a mechanic.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
Honestly, I do alot of my own work and I do have a FSM. The comment the mechanic made just seemed a bit strange to me. I had never heard of his suggestion being something I should consider. I agree that the fuel pressure regulator controls the pressure. Not the fuel pump.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM
aklim
Team Owner

The cold start injector will be taken care of. Yes, the throttle body was done exactly as you stated. The throttle body coolant passage was incredibly clean and no damage inside. As far as the mechanic, no, he's not my mechanic. He was just I guy I spoke with who is a mechanic.
Then life is good.

OK. When I go to a shop for work I cannot do (tools or beyond me), I normally discuss with the mechanic what I need done, how long it takes, what parts are needed, etc. After which, I go to the Service Advisor and tell him "I want XXX doing this job. It should take YYY hours and I ordered the parts already. What day can we do this?". If XXX is not there that day, I reschedule. I am VERY particular about my mechanics. If he isn't your mechanic, fine. Don't ever let him work on it. my $0.02
Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Honestly, I do alot of my own work and I do have a FSM. The comment the mechanic made just seemed a bit strange to me. I had never heard of his suggestion being something I should consider. I agree that the fuel pressure regulator controls the pressure. Not the fuel pump.
And you wonder why I don't let my wife talk to mechanics? All she can do is get the keys from the counter. Do not talk to the mechanics. If they have any questions, they can call me. I already paid. Do not look at them in the eye. Last time she did, they talked and got my mechanic confused since I was supposed to be handling that part of the job and he called me to confirm.

Some things she handles and I rubber stamp like my doctor's questions and some things I handle and she doesn't get involved. Less confusion.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Just curious, my '90 has the original pump and 50K miles. Do they normally just fail suddenly or does it warn you its time to change?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mickey5
Just curious, my '90 has the original pump and 50K miles. Do they normally just fail suddenly or does it warn you its time to change?
Pump can be sudden as can injectors. Multecs are not going to get along with ethanol and. Most gas has some. That I would change. They get clogged slowly so you won't notice that it is going south till it is really bad.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:26 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey5
I've had a couple (not corvettes but GM products) that got louder before they failed. Of course I never put 2 and 2 together until I'm stuck in a walmart parking lot. Then put walbro pumps in and they're twice as loud as the failing ones even though they working great.

Last edited by pacoW; 02-22-2018 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (02-25-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pacoW
I've had a couple (not corvettes but GM products) that got louder before they failed. Of course I never put 2 and 2 together until I'm stuck in a walmart parking lot. Then put walbro pumps in and they're twice as loud as the failing ones even though they working great.
Why would you put 2 and 2 together? You were busy. When the car broke down, you had time to think while waiting for the tow truck
Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
Ha ha ha...my good friend w/a '88 5.0 had a noisy, "grinding" fuel pump. I told him as he was leaving my house one day, "You better replace that soon before it takes a dump on you".

"No, no", he says, "fuel pumps don't just go out on you, it'll start to lose power first before it dies. I'll change it then."

I told him I didn't agree with his prediction, but whatever. He left my house. About 25 minutes later he called me...fuel pump took a dump, and I got to go help him change it...in the Walmart Parking lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Can new injectors cause fuel pump to go bad?

Quick Reply: Can new injectors cause fuel pump to go bad?