C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 4+3 Transmission Removal for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default 1985 4+3 Transmission Removal for Dummies

Hey! I decided to start a new thread since the topic has changed pretty significantly. For background you can catch up on the Overdrive problems I've been having HERE.

At this point I think I need to drop the entire transmission to take the OD out and rebuild it. This is well beyond anything I've done before. From reading online, it seems like something I should be able to do, but I've no idea where to start. Can someone help me out by explaining what I need to do to drop the transmission from a 1985 with the manual 4+3? I'm also going to swap the clutch while I'm at it so if there are any additional instructions for that I'd appreciate it. Please assume I'm an idiot in anything you write. I've done a decent amount of work on this car but I'd rather have something over-explained than miss a step. I have looked through the forums and people have talked about dropping a C-beam (what's that?), unbolting the bell housing (again, what's that?). I am not familiar enough with the terminology to understand what they're talking about.

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:35 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I'm not that familiar as well but the c beam I believe holds the rear of the trans. It's a sort of cross member it mounts to I think. The bell housing is basically what encases the flywheel. Part is on the block and part on the trans and they mate together with bolts.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

use jack to support trans pan but use a piece of plywood to disribute force better. like a 7"x7" piece

remove dizt cap, unbolt driveshat, u need rear tires off the ground for this, sisconnect the shifter arms from under the car and all other electrical elements

remoce cbeam, no biggie just put wrench on the top and let it bind against the fiberglass as u unthread the bottom.

might need rubber mallet and small piece of 2x4 to move c beam around

once dshaft and c beam out, gently lower the trans a very small amount. its going to rotate on the engine mounts. stop lowering it when u can access the two TOP bellhousing bolts. block the oil pan on engine as u r about to disconnect trans from block. un bolt the clutch from belhousing (im fuzzy here)

unbolt the trans from block.

watch that all electrical wires and paraphanailia are out.
Bfenty (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

That trans does not balance well on a floor jack and is heavy. This is not an easy job. Try to find someone locally that can help. It's pretty easy to break something or hurt yourself if you're not careful or familiar with how it all goes together.
Bfenty (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Well I’m going to get to do it twice-going to pull the OD off the donor car, refurb it, and then put it on my car. Tons of fun!

not looking forward to this job but it needs to be done. I’ve got a buddy who has done several transmission jobs before that’s offered to help me so I’m not completely on my own.

Will i I need to drop the exhaust? Some people have mentioned doing that.

How much time time will this take? I’ve seen estimates of 3-4 hours. I assume that is on the low side of things.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
That trans does not balance well on a floor jack and is heavy. This is not an easy job. Try to find someone locally that can help. It's pretty easy to break something or hurt yourself if you're not careful or familiar with how it all goes together.

how different than a 700r4?

i would say that was awkward too. i was careful unloading and my dad helped me reinstall.
Bfenty (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

how different than a 700r4?

i would say that was awkward too. i was careful unloading and my dad helped me reinstall.
I would think with the overdrive unit hanging off the back it would be pretty large/heavy. The 700r4 will at least balance like a normal trans on a Jack....
Bfenty (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Make sure to disconnect the battery before you begin.

Gary
Bfenty (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by yd328
Make sure to disconnect the battery before you begin.

Gary

Pulling a 4+3 is not out of the Question,
First Given the Age of Vehicle Get your Favorite Nut Buster spray Weather it is a Homemade or Manufactured Solution. Spray the Exhaust Collector Studs, the Middle Hanger strap and Muffler bolts under rear bumper and let soak same for the U-Joint Strap Bolts, Remove the Air Inject Pipe From Catalytic Converter. (Note if your car Has the Crimp Clap Find replacement clamp or have a plan on how to reconnect, A Quick Tac weld in a spot you could grind out later if needed)

Under the Hood Disconnect Battery, Remove Plenum Extension Plate, (the Flat plate over Distributor) Loosen the Distributor Cap. (otherwise you may brake Cap when Engine is tilted down Later) Disconnect your T-V Cable from Throttle Body, just unclip it from the Throttle (the cable that should be running under the Plenum Tubes)

Remove Exhaust it will come down Manifold to bumper in 1 piece.
remove U-joint straps Wrap joint caps with tape to keep them together and not loose Needle Bearings, Remove Drive Shaft if you have enough Room. (side Project Good time to replace U-Joints if needed) Loosen Most rear 21mm Bolt (Leaving it in the Car as a Hinge. Some say remove C Beam I found if you remove it the Rear will twist up and makes it a Bear to get the Beam back in), Remove the One in front of it by U-Joint.

Remove the Shifter Arm Bolts (Take a Picture before doing Just so you know the Arm Directions, from the top pointing down on T-10, pointing UP on O-D) Remove the T-V cable Tube from O-D.

Side Note you may want to Remove O-D unit Pan and drain ATF before removal of transmission and put pan back on is a must, or use a Trans. Tail Shaft Plug because it can get Messy real quick.

Remove Trans Cooler Lines, Electrical Connections.

Loosen the Two 18mm bolts at Rear of Transmission, at this time you will Hopefully have enough room for the removal of Drive Shaft if you already have it out, without having to Knock the pinch point Flat Seam in Rear. Once drive Shaft is out Support the Transmission (a Motorcycle Jack works)remove the loosened 18mm bolts. Carefully slide the C-Beam to the side of Transmission, DO Not Pry Against the Output Shaft!!

With Transmission Supported Remove the Four Bolts That Hold the T-10 Unit (Main Transmission) Lower Transmission on Trans. Jack Make sure the Breather Tube is coming with Trans. There could be a Clip holding it to Bell Housing Bolt and Wiggle & Shake Toward Rear the Transmission Should slide out leaving the Bell Housing on the car.
To remove the Bell Housing, unbolt Slave Cylinder, Remove the Flywheel Cover bolts and just let hang there hanging on the Starter, remove the Bell Housing bolts give a tug or a smack with a Mallet

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ack-61232.html

Last edited by s carter; 02-21-2018 at 10:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by s carter:
Bfenty (02-21-2018), Mike Blanchard (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Mike Blanchard
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
Pulling a 4+3 is not out of the Question,
First Given the Age of Vehicle Get your Favorite Nut Buster spray Weather it is a Homemade or Manufactured Solution. Spray the Exhaust Collector Studs, the Middle Hanger strap and Muffler bolts under rear bumper and let soak same for the U-Joint Strap Bolts, Remove the Air Inject Pipe From Catalytic Converter. (Note if your car Has the Crimp Clap Find replacement clamp or have a plan on how to reconnect, A Quick Tac weld in a spot you could grind out later if needed)

Under the Hood Disconnect Battery, Remove Plenum Extension Plate, (the Flat plate over Distributor) Loosen the Distributor Cap. (otherwise you may brake Cap when Engine is tilted down Later) Disconnect your T-V Cable from Throttle Body, just unclip it from the Throttle (the cable that should be running under the Plenum Tubes)

Remove Exhaust it will come down Manifold to bumper in 1 piece.
remove U-joint straps Wrap joint caps with tape to keep them together and not loose Needle Bearings, Remove Drive Shaft if you have enough Room. (side Project Good time to replace U-Joints if needed) Loosen Most rear 21mm Bolt (Leaving it in the Car as a Hinge. Some say remove C Beam I found if you remove it the Rear will twist up and makes it a Bear to get the Beam back in), Remove the One in front of it by U-Joint.

Remove the Shifter Arm Bolts (Take a Picture before doing Just so you know the Arm Directions, from the top pointing down on T-10, pointing UP on O-D) Remove the T-V cable Tube from O-D.

Side Note you may want to Remove O-D unit Pan and drain ATF before removal of transmission and put pan back on is a must, or use a Trans. Tail Shaft Plug because it can get Messy real quick.

Remove Trans Cooler Lines, Electrical Connections.

Loosen the Two 18mm bolts at Rear of Transmission, at this time you will Hopefully have enough room for the removal of Drive Shaft if you already have it out, without having to Knock the pinch point Flat Seam in Rear. Once drive Shaft is out Support the Transmission (a Motorcycle Jack works)remove the loosened 18mm bolts. Carefully slide the C-Beam to the side of Transmission, DO Not Pry Against the Output Shaft!!

With Transmission Supported Remove the Four Bolts That Hold the T-10 Unit (Main Transmission) Lower Transmission on Trans. Jack Make sure the Breather Tube is coming with Trans. There could be a Clip holding it to Bell Housing Bolt and Wiggle & Shake Toward Rear the Transmission Should slide out leaving the Bell Housing on the car.
To remove the Bell Housing, unbolt Slave Cylinder, Remove the Flywheel Cover bolts and just let hang there hanging on the Starter, remove the Bell Housing bolts give a tug or a smack with a Mallet

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ack-61232.html
What an AWESOME posting!!!! thank you very much!

I'd just add, NOT to do this without the harbor freight transmission jack... and to make sure the drivesaft is out before fully trying to remove the Cbeam... that Cbeam is a reali PITA.. no room whatsoever to work around it...

Mike B
Old 10-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Mike Blanchard
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Hey! I decided to start a new thread since the topic has changed pretty significantly. For background you can catch up on the Overdrive problems I've been having HERE.

At this point I think I need to drop the entire transmission to take the OD out and rebuild it. This is well beyond anything I've done before. From reading online, it seems like something I should be able to do, but I've no idea where to start. Can someone help me out by explaining what I need to do to drop the transmission from a 1985 with the manual 4+3? I'm also going to swap the clutch while I'm at it so if there are any additional instructions for that I'd appreciate it. Please assume I'm an idiot in anything you write. I've done a decent amount of work on this car but I'd rather have something over-explained than miss a step. I have looked through the forums and people have talked about dropping a C-beam (what's that?), unbolting the bell housing (again, what's that?). I am not familiar enough with the terminology to understand what they're talking about.

Thank you!
How did you make out? I'm going through this right now.... :-)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mike Blanchard
How did you make out? I'm going through this right now.... :-)
Still haven't had time to get to it. I'll let you know

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 4+3 Transmission Removal for Dummies

Quick Reply: 1985 4+3 Transmission Removal for Dummies