C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Throttle cable to ASR

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Throttle cable to ASR

My cable on my 93 Ruby 6spd. is very loose. Will need to adjust and wondering if that was the reason why the speedometer would malfunction and go out at times. Sensor and gear on transmissiin was ok.
Started while in the fuel economy run at Eureka Springs last fall. I would let the car coast at idle with clutch in or trans in neutral. Car would at times get upto over 50 mph coasting and I would allow it to lug down more in higher gears going up a grade before shifting down.
Because of no speedometer and odometer at times my mileage fell short of the distance for the course event, and was disqualified. If I could have based it on the length course, I would have had over 37 mpg. A 93 Ruby ZR1 won in it's class with over 37mpg.
Any other thoughts abought the cable causing the problem and the computer not being able to understand what was going on. Disconnecting the battery would reset the computer and it would get the speedometer working again.

Last edited by scotth48; 02-21-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Not related. It seems a code should have set in the asr. Did you check drive gear on transmission output shaft? connector for VSS including seal?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Removed the speed sensor and hooked it up to an electric drill and checked out ok. Connector and wire leads appeared to be ok. The problem would start when engine was lugging just before downshifting.
One thing I did not check yet would be a wheel sensor.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Wheel speed sensors set codes and are not related to speedometer. If you spun vss with drill and speedometer worked. I would look at speedometer drive gear. The drive gear is on output shaft it's clipped in place. If clip fails gear can move away from driven gear or spin on shaft.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I wouldn't think the drive gear on a ZF would 'wander' in/out if the drive retainer busted, I'd think it would wander and stay disengaged. The retainer is only similar to the 4L60 in function but different.

Is the car a stock rear axle ratio or ratio changed and maybe since the drive/driven require generally changed to correct speedo/odo. Just curious.

An intermittent VSS is unusual but certainly is a possibility. Maybe you just change the connector using new connector shell and use your wire/terminals. I don't recall if the connector is 'pull to seat' or not. I'll look.

Does this car do 'this speedo/odo error' often or just the once at a very inconvenient time? A VSS is cheap for the M6.

Was/is a VSS error recorded in the ECM? Being intermittent and infrequent as you mention I doubt you'd see a SES. Scan for History codes.

I have to ask - if this is something you experienced previous to the event? Ever? I'd think you might have noticed and corrected or asked before the event. Knowing the length of the even and your ODO - what was the discrepancy?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:02 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

If I recall I put my finger in the housing to see if the drive gear would turn or not, it didn't.
One thing I did not do was have the vss hooked to the drill while plugged in. I could do that using my old vss I now have as I had put the new one in as part was nearly 25 years old.
Is there a sensor in the rear axle. Loss of sdeedometer seem to happen when I would be going slow and would hear a clunking noise and both lights would come on asr and abs.
Still have plenty of winter left before I start working in a cold garage in Michigan. At least getting some more things to check.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by scotth48
If I recall I put my finger in the housing to see if the drive gear would turn or not, it didn't.
One thing I did not do was have the vss hooked to the drill while plugged in. I could do that using my old vss I now have as I had put the new one in as part was nearly 25 years old.
Is there a sensor in the rear axle. Loss of sdeedometer seem to happen when I would be going slow and would hear a clunking noise and both lights would come on asr and abs.
Still have plenty of winter left before I start working in a cold garage in Michigan. At least getting some more things to check.
I wouldn't have thought a TPS Module error that screwed with the algorithm used for IMPG/MPG calculation would create speedo/odo errors. Doing the coasting etc I actually thought a TPS Module etc because you mentioned ASR/MPG/IMPG etc.

You haven't mentioned the odo error compared to the event.

Do you have ASR/ABS codes? TPS Module ain't the TPS sensor.

The way you were driving you couldn't count out an intermittent that 'confused' the ECM.

The new VSS was done after the event? There's only 4 WSS and none in the rear axle!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-22-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I wouldn't think the drive gear on a ZF would 'wander' in/out if the drive retainer busted, I'd think it would wander and stay disengaged. The retainer is only similar to the 4L60 in function but different.

Is the car a stock rear axle ratio or ratio changed and maybe since the drive/driven require generally changed to correct speedo/odo. Just curious.

An intermittent VSS is unusual but certainly is a possibility. Maybe you just change the connector using new connector shell and use your wire/terminals. I don't recall if the connector is 'pull to seat' or not. I'll look.

Does this car do 'this speedo/odo error' often or just the once at a very inconvenient time? A VSS is cheap for the M6.

Was/is a VSS error recorded in the ECM? Being intermittent and infrequent as you mention I doubt you'd see a SES. Scan for History codes.

I have to ask - if this is something you experienced previous to the event? Ever? I'd think you might have noticed and corrected or asked before the event. Knowing the length of the even and your ODO - what was the discrepancy?
At the event was the first time and did not throw a code for the vss or history. Once on the way home it happened several times. Once I just turned key off on expressway, coasted than turned it back on and it reset.
I don't seem to find the paper that I had codes written on, so will need to check them again. I know it did not throw any for vss or history.
Stock rear axle on 6spd, and around 104,000 miles more or less now!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by scotth48
At the event was the first time and did not throw a code for the vss or history. Once on the way home it happened several times. Once I just turned key off on expressway, coasted than turned it back on and it reset.
I don't seem to find the paper that I had codes written on, so will need to check them again. I know it did not throw any for vss or history.
Stock rear axle on 6spd, and around 104,000 miles more or less now!

ASR/ABS codes are done differently than just the typical ECM for a VSS code. There's no WARNING LIGHT retained if it's intermittent, the History codes should be retained until cleared. I don't believe a battery connection will clear ASR/ABS - that's from recollection - I haven't looked.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

Try using this video as a guide to troubleshoot VSS.
Check the video at about 3 minute mark. While driving the car see if the problem occurs in the Climate Contoller as well. This will guide you in the direction as to what the problem may be

The following users liked this post:
3betsvette (02-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle cable to ASR

Quick Reply: Throttle cable to ASR