C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 C4 Corvette Muffler Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 C4 Corvette Muffler Size

I want to replace my stock mufflers with Black Widow Venom 250 Series on my exhaust, they offer a 2.5" and a 3". Which one would I need? Or will neither fit? I've looked and cannot find the stock muffler pipe size...
Old 03-05-2018, 09:01 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

The stock pipe is 2.75" (although it necks down to 2.5" at entry to the mufflers). So the 2.5" would need to be expanded or an adapter used. The 3" would be too big.

I am not familiar with those mufflers, but take a look at your stock mufflers before you buy. The mufflers have a mounting bracket that holds up the back end of the muffler and most new or generic mufflers won't have that. In addition, the pipes angle toward the center of the car, so generic mufflers won't fit the stock system very well.

If they are a generic muffler, plan on spending some time trying to custom fit them both to the car and to the exhaust system.

Good luck.

Also, welcome to the forum from another Central Illinois member.
The following users liked this post:
Snake2543 (06-18-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 01:11 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

OP, I think you got a good answer from QCvette. My reply is off topic, except to say I am going to be installing Allen's chambered muffler eliminators on my '96 CE this spring. But mostly I wanted to say hi to a couple other central IL C4 guys. I'm near Washington, darn close to Mackinaw. Maybe I'll see you guys at a cruise in or Car n Coffee some time!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Brenden Rogers
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking to do somthing along this line too. Any information about how it turned out or things to know when doing it would be helpful.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM
turtle96
Racer

Got my Allen's chambered eliminators installed. The parts did not fit that well. The eliminator pipes did not orient the tips straight out the back of the car which required an adapter to be made. Fortunately my exhaust guy is very meticulous and gave me a great result. I also had him install the crossover (H) pipe.

They might not have been an easy fit but the sound is fantastic!! It is not obnoxiously loud at all, just throaty enough to let you know you're driving something. I get some light crackling on overrun even though I have the LT1 auto. I love it. In my case, around 2300-2400 rpm there is a resonance / drone if you are in the throttle, such as pulling a grade. Accelerating through that rpm, you hear it but it sounds good. This rpm translates into almost 80 mph in top gear, and it's not bad while cruising at that rpm, but I will rarely do that. Cruising 65-75 mph you can hardly hear the engine, to the point you almost wouldn't know any change had been made from the stock system.

So, happy camper here with the Allen's chambered muffler eliminators.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:34 AM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by turtle96
Got my Allen's chambered eliminators installed. The parts did not fit that well. The eliminator pipes did not orient the tips straight out the back of the car which required an adapter to be made. Fortunately my exhaust guy is very meticulous and gave me a great result. I also had him install the crossover (H) pipe.

They might not have been an easy fit but the sound is fantastic!! It is not obnoxiously loud at all, just throaty enough to let you know you're driving something. I get some light crackling on overrun even though I have the LT1 auto. I love it. In my case, around 2300-2400 rpm there is a resonance / drone if you are in the throttle, such as pulling a grade. Accelerating through that rpm, you hear it but it sounds good. This rpm translates into almost 80 mph in top gear, and it's not bad while cruising at that rpm, but I will rarely do that. Cruising 65-75 mph you can hardly hear the engine, to the point you almost wouldn't know any change had been made from the stock system.

So, happy camper here with the Allen's chambered muffler eliminators.
First reply so hopefully this is how I do it correctly. Feelin like an old man.

I believe I’ve seen your car at Cars And Coffee this year a time or two! Though I’ve seen a few C4s there, mine had been the only black one so far at the Saturday events (I think the only 6 speed as well). She’s beat up, but the best I could really afford for being 16 at the time. If yours is the CE I saw it was absolutely stunning! It’d be neat to see each other.

I’ve considered going cheap and straight piping the mufflers, I imagine the chambered eliminators sound fairly similar. I may try it out. If I don’t like it I’ve decided on the Magnaflow mufflers with LT1 tips. Apparently the lowest grumble you can get for the C4s! Not raspy like straight pipes usually are.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy and forgot I posted this thread!

Last edited by Snake2543; 06-18-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 AM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by QCVette
The stock pipe is 2.75" (although it necks down to 2.5" at entry to the mufflers). So the 2.5" would need to be expanded or an adapter used. The 3" would be too big.

I am not familiar with those mufflers, but take a look at your stock mufflers before you buy. The mufflers have a mounting bracket that holds up the back end of the muffler and most new or generic mufflers won't have that. In addition, the pipes angle toward the center of the car, so generic mufflers won't fit the stock system very well.

If they are a generic muffler, plan on spending some time trying to custom fit them both to the car and to the exhaust system.

Good luck.

Also, welcome to the forum from another Central Illinois member.
Ended up passing on the Black Widows thanks to your comment and from hearing them on an LT1 (sounded like straight pipes but raspier and with a lot of vibration). Either going to test my luck with straight pipes, or end up going with the Magnaflow LT1 tip mufflers.

Thanks for the help! Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM
turtle96
Racer

Originally Posted by Snake2543

First reply so hopefully this is how I do it correctly. Feelin like an old man.

I believe I’ve seen your car at Cars And Coffee this year a time or two! Though I’ve seen a few C4s there, mine had been the only black one so far at the Saturday events (I think the only 6 speed as well). She’s beat up, but the best I could really afford for being 16 at the time. If yours is the CE I saw it was absolutely stunning! It’d be neat to see each other.

I’ve considered going cheap and straight piping the mufflers, I imagine the chambered eliminators sound fairly similar. I may try it out. If I don’t like it I’ve decided on the Magnaflow mufflers with LT1 tips. Apparently the lowest grumble you can get for the C4s! Not raspy like straight pipes usually are.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy and forgot I posted this thread!
I have been at Cars and Coffee with my car twice this year. Mine is the only CE I've seen there so that probably was me - convertible with red interior. I appreciate your comment. I was lucky to get a car that has been well loved. I think I saw your car last time I was there (June event). The black looks great. I saw a red ZR-1 there a couple times too. It's cool to see C4s out and about. I don't see many around.

I won't be at C&C in July but I plan to be there in August. Hope we can meet then.

Regarding the exhaust, I did a lot of reading up on it. I was concerned that almost every muffler replacement I read about (other than Corsa which I wasn't going to swing $$-wise), there were complaints of drone, which I wanted to avoid. I consistently read that the chambered deletes did not drone so I took a chance. It has a very small range of resonance like I described above, just 100-200 rpm, but I'm very happy with the change. If you go regular muffler deletes or Magnaflows, I'd like to hear what it sounds like on your car for comparison - hopefully in August! Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

I have been at Cars and Coffee with my car twice this year. Mine is the only CE I've seen there so that probably was me - convertible with red interior. I appreciate your comment. I was lucky to get a car that has been well loved. I think I saw your car last time I was there (June event). The black looks great. I saw a red ZR-1 there a couple times too. It's cool to see C4s out and about. I don't see many around.

I won't be at C&C in July but I plan to be there in August. Hope we can meet then.

Regarding the exhaust, I did a lot of reading up on it. I was concerned that almost every muffler replacement I read about (other than Corsa which I wasn't going to swing $$-wise), there were complaints of drone, which I wanted to avoid. I consistently read that the chambered deletes did not drone so I took a chance. It has a very small range of resonance like I described above, just 100-200 rpm, but I'm very happy with the change. If you go regular muffler deletes or Magnaflows, I'd like to hear what it sounds like on your car for comparison - hopefully in August! Good luck with your decision.
I believe I actually parked right next to you at one of the C&C events then! It was a silver CE!

I may do pipes within a month or so, Magnaflows would not likely happen til next spring. I have heard many great things about Magnaflows, and it seems like most people with droning issues did not extend the tips past where the stock tips end. I have very very very minor drone even on stock exhaust (have to try to hear it to faintly hear it). Most people do not extend the tips far enough past the body and that causes drone. I read that if the Magnaflows are extended an extra half inch or so past stock reach you will not have droning. I obviously have no personal experience and can’t 100% vouch for that.

When I get the engine issues fixed I should be on my way to a new exhaust set up!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 AM
turtle96
Racer

Yeah I think we did park right next to each other. I remember your black C4. I will look for you in August! Hope you get your car up and running quick (and cheap). Exhaust is more fun to spend money on than repairs
Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Yeah I think we did park right next to each other. I remember your black C4. I will look for you in August! Hope you get your car up and running quick (and cheap). Exhaust is more fun to spend money on than repairs
Thanks, and we’ll run into each other eventually!

Really wish my money was going towards fun parts and not repairs
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 PM
DykstraMotorsports
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Fellow Central Illinois C4 owner checking in.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Ended up passing on the Black Widows thanks to your comment and from hearing them on an LT1 (sounded like straight pipes but raspier and with a lot of vibration). Either going to test my luck with straight pipes, or end up going with the Magnaflow LT1 tip mufflers.

Thanks for the help! Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the welcome!
have the Magnaflow LT1 style on my LT4. even with headers and 3 inch center pipe they are quiet
Old 06-21-2018, 03:13 PM
turtle96
Racer

Originally Posted by DykstraMotorsports
I'm close to Washington. Good to see Central IL represented on here.
The following users liked this post:
DykstraMotorsports (06-21-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DykstraMotorsports
Welcome! I’m from Mackinaw, small town between Bloomington and Peoria
Old 06-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by johno504
have the Magnaflow LT1 style on my LT4. even with headers and 3 inch center pipe they are quiet
Oh wow, are they louder than stock at least? I want something that adds some noise but isn’t too loud or raspy, hence why I’m not too sure about pipes.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:07 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Oh wow, are they louder than stock at least? I want something that adds some noise but isn’t too loud or raspy, hence why I’m not too sure about pipes.
yes, somewhat louder at high RPM (5,000+) but around town sounds stock. I was a little dismayed at the lack of "noise" to be honest, as my system is far from stock.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 C4 Corvette Muffler Size

Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by johno504
yes, somewhat louder at high RPM (5,000+) but around town sounds stock. I was a little dismayed at the lack of "noise" to be honest, as my system is far from stock.
Damn, hopefully it would be louder on my LT1, as the stock setup seems very restricted. Almost sounds like I’m pushing air out instead of revving. How is the change in sound? Does it have a lower grumble to it?
Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

To lower the tone (but not the sound volume) you might "consider" leaving your stock exhaust alone and instead invest your $$ in a set of long tube headers. On my stock 95 this produced a much lower sounding rumble. Of course I also have the hot cam and that really adds to the "sound" not to the volume. And because I retained the stock exhaust from the cats on back...... I have no drone.

I considered the Corsa system ... but to me (and to some others) that system sounds just too "raspy".

For me the LT headers are the cat's meow. I did it 70,000 miles ago and I'm still really glad that I did.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 PM
Snake2543
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
To lower the tone (but not the sound volume) you might "consider" leaving your stock exhaust alone and instead invest your $$ in a set of long tube headers. On my stock 95 this produced a much lower sounding rumble. Of course I also have the hot cam and that really adds to the "sound" not to the volume. And because I retained the stock exhaust from the cats on back...... I have no drone.

I considered the Corsa system ... but to me (and to some others) that system sounds just too "raspy".

For me the LT headers are the cat's meow. I did it 70,000 miles ago and I'm still really glad that I did.
Thanks for the reply! I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of headers. I’ve heard plenty of good things about the LT headers! I will likely go with those, and maybe some mufflers or a cat with higher flow for a bit more noise.

Quick Reply: 1994 C4 Corvette Muffler Size