C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Three Targa Top Designs

Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 AM
LT4Runner
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Three Targa Top Designs

Hey everyone. This past weekend I had the opportunity to pick up a nearly mint condition blue smoke targa top for my 96. I had thought that there were only two targa top designs, one from 84-88 and then the 89 and up.

After some research I learned that there are actually three top designs. The early 84-86, late 86-88, and finally the 89-96. Apparently all tops share the same rear locating mounts, but each windshield mount is a unique design.

To make things even more interesting the actual mounting brackets for the windshield are all interchangeable assuming you can find brackets from a donor vehicle to match your top.

Here are some great photos that I found on mirrorrockcorvette.com.

The 84-early 86 mounts

Late 86-88

89-96

I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble of swapping out my 96 windshield mounts to be able to run this top as that would render my fiberglass top obsolete. Anyway If anyone is looking for the early acrylic top design in near mint condition keep an eye out on the parts for sale section. I'll be listing it as soon as I have time to get some decent photos.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Aside from the 'hardware' you need to confirm it's actually a GM top, maybe a re-lens of a GM top OR maybe after-market.

Is the surround molding metal? Center of the rear edge maybe 2" forward should be a what's referenced as a 'glass bug'. Is the 'glass bug' there" A snapshot of the 'glass-bug' might help identify originality.

Now that you know there's 3 and it ain't the later, which is it?
The following users liked this post:
LT4Runner (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:53 AM
LT4Runner
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the early 84-86. I initially thought it would fit but the locator "nubs" should have been a dead giveaway. I wrongfully assumed that these would fit in the knockouts of my windshield trim where the factory convertible top locators reside.

Get notified of new replies

To Three Targa Top Designs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Three Targa Top Designs