C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch feels spongy and car is nearly impossible to get into gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Clutch feels spongy and car is nearly impossible to get into gear

just about 2 months ago (I think?) I replaced the master and slave cylinders on my clutch, because the clutch was a little spongy and was not disengaging, making it very difficult to get the car into gear.

I replaced the cylinders, bled the system, and TADA! it worked and I'm back on the road.

Fast forward to today, when on my way to work I'm noticing that the clutch pedal feels a little soft, and that getting the car into first is kinda hard. By the time I get home for the night (just about 30 miles total for the day) I'm having to rev-match to get into any gear. Even had to turn the car off and start it in gear to get it moving at a stop sign. Note: it didn't really roll with the clutch pedal down and the car in gear when I started it. Pumping the clutch at first made it firmer, but the effectiveness of that technique diminished over time.

When I got home I checked the clutch fluid. It was a little dark but looked pretty clean overall. It definitely wasn't low. Pumping the pedal made no visible difference in the clutch fluid in the reservoir, and I didn't see anything leaking either above or below.

Another possibly important note, we had a particularly cold snap last time I had trouble with the clutch, and it was considerably colder today (~freezing) than it has been the last few weeks, when it was in the 60s.

SURELY the new hydraulics I put in can't be bad already, right?

HELP!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

i wouldnt rule that out no. sounds like hose expansion (im talking out my but here because no dont know if there is rubber or if there if its all steel) or, cylinder sucking air?
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

so I went out and played with it for a little bit. when I first tried to start the car, the clutch went straight to the floor and BARELY engaged (or is it disengaged? I think you know what I mean though). If I released any pressure the car jumped forward.

Playing with it for a while, if I pumped the pedal, it got pretty stiff. If I let off the pedal and let it sit for even 10-15 seconds, it got significantly softer, but as long as I keep a little pressure on the pedal it seems to hold its firmness.

VT, there IS a little bit of rubber right at the bottom, where the slave cylinder connects. It will be a few days before I can jack it up and inspect the hose.

I'm thinking it has to be hydraulics-related. I'm not losing fluid anywhere I don't believe-the level is good and I can't see anything. I'm throwing in a photo of the fluid. It's a little dark but I didn't flush the lines when I redid the hydraulics, so there was probably a little something left in the line.

It's really surprising how FAST it became an issue. In less than 15 miles it went from 'maybe that's a little soft?' to 'I can't shift at all'.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

That's awful dark for only 2 months of use.
Bfenty (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JimLentz
That's awful dark for only 2 months of use.
what causes clutch fluid to get dark? Also, like I said, I didn't flush the lines (although they did drain pretty well, considering I had the slave cylinder off) so it's possible there was some crap in the lines. I stuck my finger in and it came up clean-I don't think it's quite as bad as it looks in the photo.

Still-what would cause that to happen? And how would it affect the clutch?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

I think you'll find it in the hydraulics. That fluid does look very dark. Maybe it's just the light.
Bfenty (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

hmmm. How would you guys recommend I proceed? I completely agree it is something in the hydraulics. I'd be shocked if it were either of the cylinders.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:44 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Check the hose. Also check for residue on the linkage up under the dash. Could be bleeding out the seal. I have heard of them going bad out the box... Lots of reading scared me when I did mine 5 years ago. Start with the basics. Air is getting in somewhere.
Bfenty (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

One thing-when I replaced the slave cylinder, it attached to the line slightly differently than original that put the line at a weird angle. I'm wondering if that might play a part, might have put extra pressure on line.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Check the hose. Also check for residue on the linkage up under the dash. Could be bleeding out the seal. I have heard of them going bad out the box... Lots of reading scared me when I did mine 5 years ago. Start with the basics. Air is getting in somewhere.
Actually I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if it were bleeding out under the dash since I was just in there fixing the clutch disengage switch for the Cruise Control.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Actually I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if it were bleeding out under the dash since I was just in there fixing the clutch disengage switch for the Cruise Control.
True. It also may not actually be leaking much if any fluid out. Even when my stuff completely died, pumping the clutch allowed you to drive around normal for a while as long as you topped off. Couple hundred miles showed no measurable drop in fluid even though I would lose pedal pressure.

In that case, pump up the clutch good and well and get some hose clamp pliers on the hose. Disengage the clutch and clamp the line. Let it sit for a while. If the pressure plate creeps back down it's the slave. If it holds something is wonky in the master. Perhaps the seal is lose in the bore and it's just bleeding itself back into the reservoir.

iirc the test in my service manual is to press in the clutch and shift between forward and reverse around 10 times and see if it grinds.
Bfenty (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Sounds like air in the system which would cause the fluid to darken. I would bleed the system again and go from there.
Bfenty (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:39 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

I went through similar hell with my clutch hydraulics a few years ago. I’d replace them, it would work, then one day the pedal would be mush. I could pump it up and it would work the next day mush again. I replaced the cylinders a few times. Same result. On the advice of a forum member I flushed all of the DOT3 out of the clutch system and filled/bled with DOT5. The pedal has been perfect ever since and releases in full. It even eliminated a squeak which I always thought was the TOB sliding or pivot ball but was likely internal to the slave cylinder. Food for thought. DOT 3 and 5 are not compatible, I flushed a lot of fluid through with a vacuum bleeder (Venturi operated off line pressure from a compressor). I don’t believe DOT 5 absorbs water, which means any water that makes its way into the system may pool and cause rust, I plan on annual flushes of the system.

Also the dark fluid could be the hydraulic line decomposing, if not the o-rings in the cylinders.
Bfenty (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Sounds like air in the system which would cause the fluid to darken. I would bleed the system again and go from there.
First thing I would have done. Rebleed the system.
Bfenty (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys. I'll start by bleeding the system-that should have been my first thought as well. Should I be worried about air getting in somehow? Or is it possible that something like a change in temperature has exacerbated a problem of air that I already had in there?

I just don't want to have to worry about my clutch going out all the time.

First things first. I'll bleed it over the weekend and post results, and we can go from there.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:37 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Thanks guys. I'll start by bleeding the system-that should have been my first thought as well. Should I be worried about air getting in somehow? Or is it possible that something like a change in temperature has exacerbated a problem of air that I already had in there?

I just don't want to have to worry about my clutch going out all the time.

First things first. I'll bleed it over the weekend and post results, and we can go from there.
The clutch hydraulic system on C4's can be tricky to bleed so keep at it. Sometimes even when you think it's bled well and the pedal is good there can be air trapped somewhere.

If it continues after multiple bleeds i'd start looking the hydraulic line. They can fail from heat and age. Also make sure the connections are solid and leak free.
Bfenty (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Would blocking the rear wheels and jacking the front end of the car up onto jackstands, imposing an angle, allow any of the air to escape?
Bfenty (03-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch feels spongy and car is nearly impossible to get into gear

Old 03-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Would blocking the rear wheels and jacking the front end of the car up onto jackstands, imposing an angle, allow any of the air to escape?
I don't know if that will work but it's a good out-of-the-box solution.

Thanks guys for talking me through this one. I was incredibly frustrated at first, I hate fixing things twice.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:09 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Change that fluid out immediately, and bleed the system to get fresh fluid into everything. I replaced (rebuilt) my original clutch cylinders 2 years ago and the same 2 year old fluid is still perfectly clear today.

Speaking of which, it's about time to flush mine too...
Bfenty (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:53 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like a bad master cylinder to me. What brand is the one you recently installed?
Bfenty (03-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Clutch feels spongy and car is nearly impossible to get into gear