C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Recommend brake rotors from Rock Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Recommend brake rotors from Rock Auto

Looks like I'll need to replace my front brakes. But it's been about 5 years since replacing the rotors/pads. I used Wagner Thermoquiet pads, and so will probably stick with those again since they lasted so long and I didn't have any rotor warping. The front rotors are Autozone rotors.

Anyways, was looking at getting some rotors off of Rock Auto to save a little. Not sure which brands are considered good? And also looking at getting those Dorman Speed Bleeders so I can quickly flush the break fluid vs. spending all day letting them gravity bleed.

Last edited by colter; 03-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:02 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I did all four corners last year using a power stop kit from RA.

PowerStop makes different levels form stock replacement to track day kits. You can go to their website enter your cars details and determine what kit you want. Then select that part number at RA.

Their kits run from $180 to around $325 for both axels.

They also have single axel kits.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by colter
Looks like I'll need to replace my front brake pads. The rotors have never been turned. So not sure if they can be turned or not. Was thinking of just getting new rotors anyways.

Anyways, was looking at getting some rotors off of Rock Auto to save a little. Not sure which brands are considered good?

And also looking at getting those Dorman Speed Bleeders so I can quickly flush the break fluid vs. spending all day letting them gravity bleed.
Take it to some place like autozone. They can turn it for you. They can tell you if it can be turned. From past experience, they would check it at 3 or more points and if it can't be turned, they sure as hell don't want to be liable. One of two things will be turned. The rotor will be turned or the customer will be turned away.

Cheap is cheap for a reason. Good and cheap don't usually go together. You can cheap out on buying a new paint job, for example. Put a cushion on the seat because it is "holy". Brakes are not the place to be cheap. Don't care if I can drive my car. I do care if I can stop it.

So do it 2 man. "Open. Down. Close. Up". I did it for years before I bought a bleeder that pushes fluid through the reservoir but I also have 5 vehicles and a bike.

Last edited by aklim; 03-07-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by colter
It's my understanding that all or most rotors are cheap junk. i.e. they don't make good rotors anymore. At least from 5 years ago last I looked at it. Last I read the rotors are all Chinese garbage now.

Remember people saying just get the cheapest rotors you can because they all are the same now. Probably will just look at the cheapest name brand on Rock Auto like Raybestos or something.

Don't mind paying more for better quality, but don't want to pay more when the quality isn't any better than the cheaper rotors.

And cheaper on Rock Auto doesn't mean the quality is worse. Because Rock Auto also sells the same items you can get at the local auto parts store, just that they have better prices.
If you are taking the exact same make and model, RA probably is cheaper. That said, whether the make and model is good depends on the spec. I can make anything you want in China from crap to excellent depending on what you tell me to make.

EBC Brakes has US or UK factories. For my car, you can get a $35 rotor (OEM Replacement aka cheapest crap) or all the way to $98 slotted and dimpled (more resistant to fading) or $106 for a slightly quieter set.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Try Bendix Titanium Metallic for some seat of the pants stopping power ... get the Bendix rotors too ... got mine from Summit Racing 'cause I couldn't find them anywhere else ... on the down side (for you "Corvette" guys) they are dirty .....

Last edited by C409; 03-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:02 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I installed the Centric Premium rotors (from RA) a few years ago and they have been good so far. I also took a chance on the Centric ceramic pads all around. I don't think I would use them on a track day, but they are fine around town.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
If you are taking the exact same make and model, RA probably is cheaper. That said, whether the make and model is good depends on the spec. I can make anything you want in China from crap to excellent depending on what you tell me to make.

EBC Brakes has US or UK factories. For my car, you can get a $35 rotor (OEM Replacement aka cheapest crap) or all the way to $98 slotted and dimpled (more resistant to fading) or $106 for a slightly quieter set.
What rotors do you use for the street? I'm probably going to go with either EBC or Centric High Carbon rotors.

I ended up getting some OEM PBR front brake pads. The same type as the factory used.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:47 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Advance auto parts has a great deal on a front and rear powerstop kit right now. Pads and rotors for like 130 bucks.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM
woody41
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with Raybestos rotors from Rock Auto and Hawk HPS pads on my 91. The brakes are quiet, smooth. I used a Power Stop 'kit' (rotors and pads) on my Lincoln MK VIII and they also worked very well.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Advance auto parts has a great deal on a front and rear powerstop kit right now. Pads and rotors for like 130 bucks.
Actually, I was able to pick up some new front OEM PBR semi-metallic pads. They are the same ones that came on these cars from the factory.

Still deciding on the rotors. Probably looking at either EBC or Centric High Carbon rotors.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

I over heated my brakes and warped the rotors a couple years ago on a run through the hills in W.Va. Replaced all four with drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads from Brakemotive. No more problems and very little dusting.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
I did all four corners last year using a power stop kit from RA.

PowerStop makes different levels form stock replacement to track day kits. You can go to their website enter your cars details and determine what kit you want. Then select that part number at RA.

Their kits run from $180 to around $325 for both axels.

They also have single axel kits.
How do you feel with powerstop? Better than stock? Improvements?

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend brake rotors from Rock Auto

Quick Reply: Recommend brake rotors from Rock Auto