C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting

Old 03-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting

My C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting om my 1990 there are no codes no flashing lights both the head unit. And the programmer were sent to bate.com for repair because of fault code had them refitted two months ago worked ok Yesterday could not turn the heating down all the other functions work ie the blower speed,heated rear window the only other thing i noticed was when i hold in the two fan speed buttons for five seconds to enter diagnostic mode to two zeros only show once i release the buttons were as before they came on when the buttons were held down could the problem be a cracked gear wheel in the actuator ?

Last edited by Gary Bagley; 03-10-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

My guess is that your head unit has failed. This would not be the first rebuilt unit that failed after a short amount of time.
The following users liked this post:
Gary Bagley (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:44 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Bagley
My C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting there are no codes no flashing lights both the head unit and the programmer were sent to bate.com for repair because of fault code had them refitted two months ago worked ok yesterday could not turn the heating down all the other functions work ie the blower speed heated rear window the only other thing i noticed was when i hold in the two fan speed buttons for five seconds to enter diagnostic mode to two zeros only how once i release the buttons were as before they came on when the buttons were held down could the problem be a cracked gear wheel in the actuator ?
Are you saying you can't control the digital display where when you adjust the temperature rocker switch and it will change the display from 60 to 90, is it stuck at 90?

OR

Can you control the display but heat is always coming out of the vents?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Every so often my car does this. It will be stuck on 90 and won't go back down, or stuck on 60 and won't go back up. The control head contacts need to be cleaned in mine. Since I'm too lazy to do it, I just push on the trim piece directly adjacent whichever button isn't working and then press the button with my other hand. So far that has been working, at least for now.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:13 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Default C68 HVAC system – Mix door problem - 94

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Are you saying you can't control the digital display where when you adjust the temperature rocker switch and it will My C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting there are no codes no flashing lights both the head unit and the programmer were sent to bate.com for repair because of fault code had them refitted two months ago worked ok yesterday could not turn the heating down all the other functions work ie the blower speed heated rear window the only other thing i noticed was when i hold in the two fan speed buttons for five seconds to enter diagnostic mode to two zeros only how once i release the buttons were as before they came on when the buttons were held down could the problem be a cracked gear wheel in the actuator ? , is it stuck at 90?

OR

Sorry i did not make myself clear the display changes from 60 to 90 but the blend door will not move from the full hot Position
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Are you saying you can't control the digital display where when you adjust the temperature rocker switch and it will change the display from 60 to 90, is it stuck at 90?

OR

Sorry i did not make myself clear the display changes from 60 to 90 but the blend door will not move from the full hot Position
Old 03-10-2018, 02:15 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Every so often my car does this. It will be stuck on 90 and won't go back down, or stuck on 60 and won't go back up. The control head contacts need to be cleaned in mine. Since I'm too lazy to do it, I just push on the trim piece directly adjacent whichever button isn't working and then press the button with my other hand. So far that has been working, at least for now.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:16 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
My guess is that your head unit has failed. This would not be the first rebuilt unit that failed after a short amount of time.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

OR

Old 03-10-2018, 04:44 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

On my 95 I can remove the blower motor resistor/transistor assembly (blower speed module) and look in the heater case with a flashlight. I can see the temp door move. Once a piece of the foam seal around the evap core came loose, and was caught inbetween the hvac case and the temp door. So it wouldn't move to full cold. All I had to do was reach in and take it out.
Gary Bagley (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
On my 95 I can remove the blower motor resistor/transistor assembly (blower speed module) and look in the heater case with a flashlight. I can see the temp door move. Once a piece of the foam seal around the evap core came loose, and was caught inbetween the hvac case and the temp door. So it wouldn't move to full cold. All I had to do was reach in and take it out.
Tried your idea not that took the blower module out nothing stuck it door go someone to try the temp button no movement and couldn't hear any noise
Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

The programmer drives the blend door motor. I have repaired several programmers for bad capacitors which caused bad display information and no control on the control head, however never fixed one for this symptom but I guess it is possible.

The blend door motor should probably be looked at first. If the drain for the evaporator plugs up, the water will back up into the evaporator case and run into the motor. Over time it will rust and possible get jammed up. It's all plastic except for the motor which is the source of rust and debris.

Only two screws hold the motor on but you can't see it until you drop the plastic knee shield out of the way (that’s the big effort). It's keyed, only goes on one way and has a connector. You can then move the blend door with your fingers. It comes apart easy but don’t get the gears messed up as the feedback potentiometer is calibrated and if you get it misaligned it will never work correctly.
Gary Bagley (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

OP - punctuation might help!

What year?

Year matters when discussing the actuator operation. Your thoughts in your original post seem likely! Actuator location changes dependent upon year.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Default Heater/AC Problem (blend door

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - punctuation might help!

What year?

Year matters when discussing the actuator operation. Your thoughts in your original post seem likely! Actuator location changes dependent upon year.
it is a 90 not sure what punctuation got to do with it
Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

The programmer drives the blend door motor. I have repaired several programmers for bad capacitors which caused bad display information and no control on the control head, however never fixed one for this symptom but I guess it is possible.

The blend door motor should probably be looked at first. If the drain for the evaporator plugs up, the water will back up into the evaporator case and run into the motor. Over time it will rust and possible get jammed up. It's all plastic except for the motor which is the source of rust and debris.

Only two screws hold the motor on but you can't see it until you drop the plastic knee shield out of the way (that’s the big effort). It's keyed, only goes on one way and has a connector. You can then move the blend door with your fingers. It comes apart easy but don’t get the gears messed up as the feedback potentiometer is calibrated and if you get it misaligned it will never work correctly.
Thanks for your advise mine is a 1990 so the blend motor is on the top and does not look easy to access
Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

OR

The rocker switch does change the display from 60 to 90
But heat always comes out of vent blower speed works and vent controls
Old 03-10-2018, 04:37 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gary Bagley
The rocker switch does change the display from 60 to 90
But heat always comes out of vent blower speed works and vent controls
Thanks for your advise mine is a 1990 so the blend motor is on the top and does not look easy to access
Well that does change my advice. From what I remember and reading the Forum, some of the earlier C4s used rods to connect the motor to the blend door. Don't know if the rods disconnect, something binds or if the motor just does not drive.

I also remember in the early programmers 2 resistors go bad and cause problems. Can't remember what, see what I can find.

Possibly some others more familiar with the early C4s will fill in the "gaps" in my advice and give some additional information.

Last edited by pcolt94; 03-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Gary Bagley (03-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting

Old 03-11-2018, 03:27 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

Well that does change my advice. From what I remember and reading the Forum, some of the earlier C4s used rods to connect the motor to the blend door. Don't know if the rods disconnect, something binds or if the motor just does not drive.

I also remember in the early programmers 2 resistors go bad and cause problems. Can't remember what, see what I can fine.

Possibly some others more familiar with the early C4s will fill in the "gaps" in my advice and give some additional information.
The rod was only used up till 1989
the 1990 has the blend door motor mounted on top of the heater box
Old 03-11-2018, 03:34 AM
Gary Bagley
Advanced

is it possible to access the lead for the blend door motor by removing the r/h carpeted panel.
to get to the lead like the one in the photo ?

Last edited by Gary Bagley; 03-11-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Have a 90 when there are C68 head issues disconnecting the battery for a few seconds will reset it = normal operation.

Insure there is good vacuum the hose connection / connector @ the rear of the intake is prone to fail.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C68 hvac is stuck on the hot setting