C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just installed Maximizer LT headers and the "Core Shifters" short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 PM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Just installed Maximizer LT headers and the "Core Shifters" short throw shifter

Title. I was able to squeeze into a shop at the school that my dad works for so we were able to borrow a lift to do the work over Friday and Saturday (yesterday). Total time for both was about 12 hours but everything's in there! So in more detail, I replaced the stock manifolds and cats with catless stainless steel headers from the eBay brand "Maximizer" (who apparently also sell almost exact headers under the name OBX on eBay). For those of you who aren't aware, they come with circular port holes instead of the oval/D port holes like they should. I know that some people have used dremels to grind the port holes out but I didn't really care enough to do it on mine. We ran into a small problem as we couldn't get the air tube pieces to come out of the manifolds since the LT headers have the ports for them (for whatever reason). Ended up plugging the top inlet and using epoxy to temporarily plug the two ports on the headers while we ordered specialized plugs for them. Cut the stock exhaust to allow the included piping to fit into it and then used clamps to clamp everything shut. It's leaking slightly at the two clamps but I plan on changing the exhaust eventually anyway and it's barely noticeable in the meantime. Everything else bolted up right away, though. Just lots of cursing and frustration trying to work in the little room that's available. I ended up going with the Maximizer headers since they were on a random flash sale a few months ago; $250 plus $75 in shipping...couldn't pass it up. I'm glad I got them since the car seems much, much more responsive with them. She also has the deeper tone that I've been looking for, though it's quieter than I'd like it to be. The exhaust I plan on getting will obviously do-away with the giant mufflers and resonator so I'm sure it'll sound much more lively afterwards.

As for the shifter, jeez. The shifting feel makes it feel like an entirely different car. For those of you who don't know, the Core Shifters shifter is based on the discontinued Hurst shifter and I also got one of their shifter *****/***** since the factory one was a bit worn out. Shifting to every gear is much more precise and quicker. While I was originally worried about getting rid of the reverse lock-out function, I can say without a doubt that it's not a problem at all.

Weirdly enough, when we first started her up, the "Check ASR" light was on and kept coming on for the first 3-5 drives last night and obviously ASR/ABS wasn't working. As of this morning, the light is off and while I haven't been able to check if ABS is working, ASR is so I'm not sure what that was. No check engine lights, though!

Overall, it was a long job but the car is much more enjoyable to drive. Now I'll probably be sending the ECU in for a tune. Next significant project is probably to put nice Corbeau A4 or Evolution seats in her.

EDIT: Yes, I know I have a leaking valve cover gasket and it's messy...I have the gaskets, now I just need the time....

Last edited by StanJarensky; 06-16-2019 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
84 4+3 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:26 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Nice. On the port mismatch... a small amount of it isn't really a big deal especially stock. As you add more power it somewhat compounds but the center to center area is more important honestly. Iirc Some of the L98 manifolds blocked a decent chunk of exhaust port from the factory... the switch to D ports with the older style manifolds I believe. I may be remembering wrong though.

Enjoy.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 PM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Nice. On the port mismatch... a small amount of it isn't really a big deal especially stock. As you add more power it somewhat compounds but the center to center area is more important honestly. Iirc Some of the L98 manifolds blocked a decent chunk of exhaust port from the factory... the switch to D ports with the older style manifolds I believe. I may be remembering wrong though.

Enjoy.
That's what I figured. There are ideas to go supercharged eventually, but if that happens, I plan on buying a crate or used LT1, tearing it down to upgrade the internals, and drop it in and keep the factory block on the side. If that does happen, I'll probably swap to Hooker 3" or ARH 3". For now, this is more than good enough.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:51 PM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Sorry for bumping such an old thread of mine--

I just wanted to post a video I took this morning using a crappy GoPro knock off to give an idea of exhaust sound for anyone who may be interested in a similar "Ebay" setup. Just to reiterate: I have Maximizer long-tube headers and a chambered exhaust from HighFlo. I don't think the combined ~$1500 is too bad--especially since I did them separately. The car has been tuned ever since I put the headers on and I never put the car on a dyno before or after so I'm not sure about any performance improvements, if any, but she sounds mean!

Best pulls are at 2:30, 5:40, 9:30, and 12:15.

Last edited by StanJarensky; 08-26-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:18 PM
Scott Rasmussen
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

How much of a job/pain was it to install the short shifter? I have one but never installed it because I couldnt get the pin out. Not sure if its worth it or should just sell it.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:23 PM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott Rasmussen
How much of a job/pain was it to install the short shifter? I have one but never installed it because I couldnt get the pin out. Not sure if its worth it or should just sell it.
It's as easy as it is to get underneath the car.
Once you're underneath the car and can get to the top of the trans to knock the pin out of the lever, everything else is easy.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Bill Chase
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

Want to sell it? Please send pm with pics and a price. I have cash and can pay right now if you are serious about selling.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:57 PM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Chase
Want to sell it? Please send pm with pics and a price. I have cash and can pay right now if you are serious about selling.
Even if he doesn't sell, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy one again. Out of every mod I've done to my C4 so far, the short throw shifter is easily the most enjoyable one.

Core-Shifters is the one I used. $160.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Scott Rasmussen
Instructor

the one I bought is a Core Shifter
Old 08-27-2020, 10:18 AM
Bill Chase
Pro

the one I bought is a Core Shifter
yes, they bought the hurst tooling and it is essentially identical to the Hurst from all I have read.. do you want to sell it?
Old 08-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Bill Chase
Pro

Originally Posted by StanJarensky
Core-Shifters is the one I used. $160.
Did you by chance save the original shift **** from your original shifter? The previous owner of my 91 put a goofy "fuckinfast" 6 speed shift ball on it. I would buy the original **** from you if it is in decent shape.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:55 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

why not add a x-pipe in place of the resonator and see how that sounds, the C4 exhaust flows nicely
Old 08-27-2020, 11:06 AM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Originally Posted by vette196
why not add a x-pipe in place of the resonator and see how that sounds, the C4 exhaust flows nicely
I may elect to do that in the future but I think I'd need to look into electronic valves for it at that point. The current setup can already be ear-piercing loud near dividers and in tunnels if you have the top off. Surprisingly it doesn't drone at all so I definitely don't want to mess that up.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I may elect to do that in the future but I think I'd need to look into electronic valves for it at that point. The current setup can already be ear-piercing loud near dividers and in tunnels if you have the top off. Surprisingly it doesn't drone at all so I definitely don't want to mess that up.
That is my plan. I have the x-pipe to the mufflers and want to add headers. I heard the system set up like this has little to no drone. So $800 for headers to a stock system is less expensive than the corsa $1400+ system....better bang for the buck
Old 08-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

If you looking to buy a short shifter I have one for sale in the for sale section.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Bill Chase
Pro

Originally Posted by Fiberbundle
If you looking to buy a short shifter I have one for sale in the for sale section.
I saw that, I have read a lot of reviews on the B&M ripper and most guys seem to all agree the increased shift effort is not good, the ones that like it are drag racers. For street and road race use it is pretty much unanimous that the Hurst/core design that Chris Reinhart designed has the best feel, 40% less movement, 1.5" shorter, and less than 50% increase in shift effort, and the B&M is notchy, also takes over 2.5 times the force of a stock unit to shift it. Nice shifter, just not desirable for my application.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Scott Rasmussen
Instructor

I think I sent you a link to the pictures.
The following users liked this post:
Bill Chase (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Bill Chase
Pro

I think I sent you a link to the pictures.
yes, I got them. Had to take my step son school clothes shopping, and be back to work by 4 this morning.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Bill Chase
Pro

It's as easy as it is to get underneath the car.
Once you're underneath the car and can get to the top of the trans to knock the pin out of the lever, everything else is easy.
did your car originally have the black tag zf with reverse lift ring? Or is it a blue tag crash through reverse stock?

My car originally has the black tag with lift ring for reverse, I am curious how much force it takes to get into reverse with the core shifter? Knowing my luck I would be rowing gears from 5th to 6th and slam it into reverse.. how does it feel going to reverse?

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed Maximizer LT headers and the "Core Shifters" short throw shifter

Quick Reply: Just installed Maximizer LT headers and the "Core Shifters" short throw shifter