C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heavy Duty Coolant Fan Control (overheat issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:56 PM
mr-natural
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Heavy Duty Coolant Fan Control (overheat issues)

I have an L98 installed in my 58 but want the fans to kick on much sooner than the 228° output from the Coolant Fan Temp Sw. or the C1 output that relies on the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Any suggestions are welcome. Currently I have a manual dash mounted switch to turn on the larger of my two fans but the smaller one (dependent on C1 output) never kicks on. I've got a DeWitt aluminum (stock replacement dimensions) radiator but still have overheating problems due to the high temp design of the L98 fan control.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If your fan is controlled by the CTS, not the ECM, change your CTS to the ACDelco D1855B, and the fan should turn on at 215*, and off at 200*

Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM
mr-natural
Instructor

Hot Rod Roy, I'm trying to use both the Coolant Fan Temperature Switch to control the HD fan and then use the Coolant Temperature Sensor to control the primary fan. Your suggestion for the CFTS is good and I'll buy one but that leaves the CTS and it's input to the ECM.

Last edited by mr-natural; 03-13-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

OP - What year L98 and what ECM is used for control?

1226870 '85 OR 1227165 ECM '86 - '89 OR 1227727 '90+

Very important to be discussing the correct engine controls. Fan control varies somewhat ECM to ECM/year to year if you will.

Having 2 fans and the Dewitt then you could and likely have a very different than hinted control. 1st by the ECM and the 2nd by a separate switch or whatever. Is the fan arrangement something that was purchased from DeWitt or yet another vendor into the mix?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

I don't have any idea what L98 you have, or what sensors are used in the L98's. My L83 spec is 238* on/ 201* off. The ACDelco sensor works great in my engine. If your sensor turn on temp is too low, your fan will never shut off, because the thermostat will be trying to get the engine up to a higher temp. You want the fan to turn on only after the thermostat is fully open.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM
mr-natural
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - What year L98 and what ECM is used for control?

1226870 '85 OR 1227165 ECM '86 - '89 OR 1227727 '90+

Very important to be discussing the correct engine controls. Fan control varies somewhat ECM to ECM/year to year if you will.

Having 2 fans and the Dewitt then you could and likely have a very different than hinted control. 1st by the ECM and the 2nd by a separate switch or whatever. Is the fan arrangement something that was purchased from DeWitt or yet another vendor into the mix?
Sorry for not being more specific. I've got an 87 L98 with the 1227165 ECM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mr-natural
Sorry for not being more specific. I've got an 87 L98 with the 1227165 ECM.
Do you know for a fact that it's (fan with ECM control) is wired correctly? You say 'never' so I'd think you leave the 'demand fan' OFF and let the temps get to 226° or greater and see if it does. If you want to maintain control of that fan by the ECM then you would have to have the PROM altered to the desired value.

If your 'demand fan' keeps the temps below what the CTS is seeing then it will never turn on.

Have you ever had a scanner on it to actually confirm what the ECM is seeing for coolant temps? Your particular situation I'd think requires that. I'd think that you could actually use only a scanner to determine the actual coolant temps that exist and compare to whatever you have for an IP gauge.

Whose shroud/fan arrangement are you using? Fan diameters?

Changing the 'demand fan' to a CFS as suggested by HRR I believe needs to be avoided until the actual running temps are evaluated in your particular situation (ARIZONA). There should certainly be 'specialty' CFS available but would likely require specialty bushing for cylinder head installation.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM
mr-natural
Instructor

WVZR-1 I designed, and had built, the fan shroud which has two fans. The larger one is a 12" Perma-Cool rated at about 2,300 CFM and a 10" Perma-Cool rated just a bit lower. Both fan P/Ns are now discontinued so I'm not exactly certain of the CFM ratings. I just got a scan tool so I'll take your advice and look at the temps using it. I'll get back to you once I figure out how to use it. However, what does CFS stand for? I reread the posts by HRR and couldn't pick up the meaning.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

WVZR-1 I designed, and had built, the fan shroud which has two fans. The larger one is a 12" Perma-Cool rated at about 2,300 CFM and a 10" Perma-Cool rated just a bit lower. Both fan P/Ns are now discontinued so I'm not exactly certain of the CFM ratings. I just got a scan tool so I'll take your advice and look at the temps using it. I'll get back to you once I figure out how to use it. However, what does CFS stand for? I reread the posts by HRR and couldn't pick up the meaning.
I used CFS (Coolant Fan Switch) - then it's easily understood we're not talking about device intended for ECM control of 'all' ECM temp related functions. I slip sometimes or just comment using same as what's in a thread but I've tried to correct that. CTS/ECT are more frequently used for ECM/PCM conversations.

You want to do several controlled drives using the scanner. Traffic - temp/humidity etc. Not quite the time of year for a 'worst conditions' but you'd have a base that you could compare to in 'heat of mid/late summer'. HRR in this thread used CTS and assumed everyone understood.

You could also use the scanning results to confirm IP Gauge accuracy.

What do you have for a thermostat?

The 'catch' with most current CFS available is the 'variance/tolerance' they're built with. An original GM/ACD hasn't been done for likely very many years. An acceptable after-market is mentioned to be on @ 221° with a +/- of 8°. I don't recall ever seeing an on/off of the ACD HRR mentions, only ON/closed. I always thought that resellers maybe created that

Ideally I'd think you would use a 2 terminal that has makes and breaks specifically assigned and probably more stringent QC.

Here's a temp switch manufacturers reference - in this list an SW505 is the ACD equivalent mentioned.

http://www.wellsve.com/showall_ds_fans.php

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-14-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

ACDelco response to question about CTS (Coolant Temp Switch*) D1855B:

What are the on off specs for this switch?
Answer:
200 off/215 on
June 13, 2016
*FSM nomenclature.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Here's a link to some good info from another talented member:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-switch.html

Old 03-14-2018, 07:27 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
ACDelco response to question about CTS (Coolant Temp Switch*) D1855B:

HRR comment: What are the on off specs for this switch?
Answer:
200 off/215 on
June 13, 2016

*FSM nomenclature.

You need to remember every number mentioned is 'design/engineered' information and no OEM will ever mention tolerances in there comments - NEVER -

Your comment regarding ACD in 2016? I believe ACD likely ceased production years before that. Was it accurate when they did? Yes but with 'tolerances'!!

***Anyone with issues 'today' needs to confirm all!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-14-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

You need to remember every number mentioned is 'design/engineered' information and no OEM will ever mention tolerances in there comments - NEVER -
WVZR-1, why are you throwing rocks at me? I'm only presenting info that I believe might be a help to the OP. GreggPenn found the same info in 2012. Are you faulting his information, also? I think we all realize that every specification has a +/- tolerance. Certainly there are tighter tolerance devices, if you're willing to pay for military grade ($$$) parts! I've been using the D1855B since 10/2006.

Can you verify your info that the Wells SW505 is the same as the ACD D1855B?

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 03-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

WVZR-1, why are you throwing rocks at me? I'm only presenting info that I believe might be a help to the OP. GreggPenn found the same info in 2012. Are you faulting his information, also? I think we all realize that every specification has a +/- tolerance. Certainly there are tighter tolerance devices, if you're willing to pay for military grade ($$$) parts!

Can you verify your info that the Wells SW505 is the same as the ACD D1855B?
I ain't tossing rocks

This ain't a C4 where you check for the lower deflector, clean the trash from the condenser/radiator and drive on.

1st of all there's no reason for the OP to even consider a 'recess pin' specific switch. I see absolutely no advantage, another reason I posted the link to temp related control devices. I also asked him to explain the cooling fan arrangement. He answered all with information I understood. I think I 'get it'.

I can tell you that if you take the GM 14043275 or ACD D1855B to nearly any auto parts jobber you'll be presented with a switch of similar specifications.

A NAPA equivalent just mentions on at 213 - 229 A NAPA purchase advantage might be the 36mo warranty. NAPA is FS112.

Regarding the OP - He mentions having a scanner and I imagine pockets 'deep enough' to resolve a cooling issue. I've seen same/similar issue 1st hand with many projects. Cooling is almost always an issue.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

http://dccontrol.com/constant_temper...ontrollers.htm I've been using one of these for many years on my 86. It works great. Just set it at the temperature you want and it varies the fan speed (from 0 - 100%) to maintain that temperature.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 PM
mr-natural
Instructor

I ain't tossing rocks

This ain't a C4 where you check for the lower deflector, clean the trash from the condenser/radiator and drive on.

1st of all there's no reason for the OP to even consider a 'recess pin' specific switch. I see absolutely no advantage, another reason I posted the link to temp related control devices. I also asked him to explain the cooling fan arrangement. He answered all with information I understood. I think I 'get it'.

I can tell you that if you take the GM 14043275 or ACD D1855B to nearly any auto parts jobber you'll be presented with a switch of similar specifications.

A NAPA equivalent just mentions on at 213 - 229 A NAPA purchase advantage might be the 36mo warranty. NAPA is FS112.

Regarding the OP - He mentions having a scanner and I imagine pockets 'deep enough' to resolve a cooling issue. I've seen same/similar issue 1st hand with many projects. Cooling is almost always an issue.
Gentlemen all, here's the latest. Using a scan tool proved easier than it should be and it did reveal that my primary fan (the one controlled by the ECM) did not come on at 228°. I didn't want to go higher than that as because I'm gun shy - don't want to warp the newly installed heads. I manually switched on the aux fan and it lowered the temp to about 212°. This was done in my garage on a cool AZ day but the temps sort of tracked with the 58 dash gauge. So from what you folks have mentioned and the link to posts by GreggPen it appears I can purchase a CTS that may take care on 1/2 of my problem but that leaves getting the primary to turn on at say 200°. I'm running a 160° thermostat which behaves exactly like the 180° one I replaced. I know this all makes sense since I'm obviously limited in my cooling by not getting both fans to come on.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:38 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Gentlemen all, here's the latest. Using a scan tool proved easier than it should be and it did reveal that my primary fan (the one controlled by the ECM) did not come on at 228°.

Do you know for a fact that your fan is wired correctly? You can do anything you like regarding switches etc but if the fan you wish to control isn't wired correctly you'll accomplish nothing! Do you have the '87 FSM (or any year) to use as a guide for cooling fan wiring?

*****You're relying on a dash gauge of the '58? Is this a restoration piece, an original or perhaps a quality retro gauge? You're using what for a sending unit to that gauge? Brand & part#? Is it correct for the gauge?

*****I see maybe 5 different threads regarding your TEMP GAUGE

You can't do the cooling evaluations in a garage or sitting still!

Your TEMP GAUGE sender is between 1 & 3 (left) or 6 & 8 (right)?

Back in '13 you had a conversation with 'MrWillys' regarding PROM tuning, that conversation was regarding cooling. What did you do then?

This has nothing to do with 'cooling' but has your 'cold start' been eliminated or defeated? If it has that gives you another coolant port available for switch, sender for evaluations.

Going back to your original post -I don't understand why you've got the 'smaller' fan looking for ECM control. Typically the ECM would control a primary fan and usually the larger of the 2. Are these fans 'side by side' or just how are they arranged in your fabricated shroud?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-16-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Heavy Duty Coolant Fan Control (overheat issues)

Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 AM
mr-natural
Instructor

WVZR-1 thanks for all the feedback here's a few facts:
1. I do not recall how I resolved the temp gauge issue I had years ago where the gauge would peg in 10 seconds or so.
2. The gauge is original and unaltered but I did do a characterization long ago and have every reason to believe it's a "good" indicator of temp.
3. I have not had any reprogramming done. Once I get all major issues resolved and VSS installed I'll look into that.
4. My cold start issue was resolved once I learned just how radical my cam was and I increased my idle speed to about 950 RPM.
5. I do have an 87 FSM and that is how I wired the car. When shorting pins 1 & 2 at the ALDL the primary fan comes on as it should
6. While I do not have the original specs for the model fans I purchased from Perma-Cool the current specs for a 10" fan show 50 CFM (2,350 CFM) greater flow than the flow of the 12" fan. Therefore I don't think it's an issue that I'm using the 10" as primary. Below is a photo of my custom designed shourd & fans.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

WVZR-1 thanks for all the feedback here's a few facts:
1. I do not recall how I resolved the temp gauge issue I had years ago where the gauge would peg in 10 seconds or so.
2. The gauge is original and unaltered but I did do a characterization long ago and have every reason to believe it's a "good" indicator of temp.
3. I have not had any reprogramming done. Once I get all major issues resolved and VSS installed I'll look into that.
4. My cold start issue was resolved once I learned just how radical my cam was and I increased my idle speed to about 950 RPM.
5. I do have an 87 FSM and that is how I wired the car. When shorting pins 1 & 2 at the ALDL the primary fan comes on as it should
6. While I do not have the original specs for the model fans I purchased from Perma-Cool the current specs for a 10" fan show 50 CFM (2,350 CFM) greater flow than the flow of the 12" fan. Therefore I don't think it's an issue that I'm using the 10" as primary. Below is a photo of my custom designed shourd & fans.
Interesting shroud/fan arrangement.

I understand your comments!

Look and see if both of these sensor/sender are actually present and wired in your car. Sender/sensor to the left is 'cold start' - if it ain't wired/in use/functional I have an idea. Dumb idea? I know not!!!!

Name:  CTS_&_Cold_Start_Thermo_Switch.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  68.8 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

You either program the computer to turn fan on when u want,

Or you install a temp switch to do it for you through a relay.

Ebay has 180on/165off $20 3/8" NPT inline switches for example.

You will need the corresponding thermostat

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 03-17-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Coolant Fan Control (overheat issues)