C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to lower idle rpm on a 1984 C4

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM
nlneilson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to lower idle rpm on a 1984 C4

Specifically how do you get to the idle adjusting screw ????

I took the top of the air cleaner housing off..

Does the bottom of the air cleaner housing need to be removed to adjust the idle ---- or what ???
Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by nlneilson
Does the bottom of the air cleaner housing need to be removed to adjust the idle ---- or what ???
Please don't take this the wrong way...but if you don't know the answer to that...you shouldn't be messing with the throttle stop adjusting screw. Yes, you would need to remove the lower air cleaner housing, and then punch out a tin cap that is limiting access to the adjusting screw.

Idle speed should be controlled by the Idle Air Control valve & ECM. If the idle speed is beyond the ability of the ECM/IAC to control it, then you most likely have a sizable vacuum leak. Fix the vacuum leak.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-16-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 PM
nlneilson
Advanced

Thanks I appreciate all the advice I can get. I saw images where adjustment can be made straight down after removing a plug. My shop manual has the adjustment from the back almost horizontal. I will take the bottom of the air cleaner off and get a good tach. I like the Carter AFB, I have about a half dozen, The Holleys remind me of flushing a toilet.
This C4 is the first gas injected, I have several diesel injected equipment.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

My shop manual has the adjustment from the back almost horizontal.
Yep...that's where/how it is. I'll re-state that the problem is most likely a vacuum leak, and the throttle stops shouldn't need an adjustment.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:39 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I saw images where adjustment can be made straight down after removing a plug. My shop manual has the adjustment from the back almost horizontal.
If that's what your shop manual suggested, you need a new manual! What book do you have? If it's a Chilton or Haynes, please relegate those to the bottom of your bird cage.

The idle speed is controlled by the computer. The adjustments on your throttle bodies are used to balance the two throttle bodies. I have 240,000 miles on my '84, and those adjustments have never been touched! That's why they welded them at the factory!

Tom is correct. Find your vacuum leak. Think of it this way: If things are right, the computer will control both fuel and air to give you the correct idle speed. If you have a vacuum leak, the computer can't control the air flow, so the only thing it can do to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio, so the engine will run, is to provide more fuel, so the idle speed will therefore be too high! Way different than a dumb carburetor!

Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 PM
nlneilson
Advanced

Thanks Hot Rod Roy and Tom

The manual I got was downloaded from Tradebit for $19 I would not recommend it as the images are poor and apparently some of the data is incorrect. Maybe the computer chip was reprogrammed.
I will check for vacuum leaks, WD 40 works good for that, although cheaper I don't like to use propane, especially in boats.

The reason I want to lower the rpm is it shifts hard into reverse and forward plus I don't like it idling that high.

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
If that's what your shop manual suggested, you need a new manual! What book do you have? If it's a Chilton or Haynes, please relegate those to the bottom of your bird cage.

The idle speed is controlled by the computer. The adjustments on your throttle bodies are used to balance the two throttle bodies. I have 240,000 miles on my '84, and those adjustments have never been touched! That's why they welded them at the factory!

Tom is correct. Find your vacuum leak. Think of it this way: If things are right, the computer will control both fuel and air to give you the correct idle speed. If you have a vacuum leak, the computer can't control the air flow, so the only thing it can do to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio, so the engine will run, is to provide more fuel, so the idle speed will therefore be too high! Way different than a dumb carburetor!

Last edited by nlneilson; 03-16-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

How high is "high"? Should idle ~600 RPM or so.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM
nlneilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
How high is "high"? Should idle ~600 RPM or so.

800 + sometime. when i blip the throttle it will stay at 1200 to 1400 for a short time before dropping below 1000
the dash reading is inconsistent, I need a good tach.
I called a local AAmco about the shifting, he has worked on many Vettes, he will do an initial check at no charge.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:46 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Here is a link to some great pictures showing the procedure for balancing the throttle bodies. The article is for a 82 Crossfire but the same basic procedure. It will show where the plugs and adjustment screws are if you ever need that:

http://www.thecubestudio.com/Crossfi...yBalancing.htm

On my 84 I had vacuum leaks all over my engine including the top plate of the manifold. I got my idle back by fixing these leaks.

I did re-balance the throttle bodies after reaming out the throttle shaft bores on my throttle bodies and I installed bushings for the shaft to run in.

Last edited by zachaeous; 03-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:15 PM
nlneilson
Advanced

Thanks zachaeous I did a brief scan of your links, they should be very helpful.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Thanks zachaeous I did a brief scan of your links, they should be very helpful.
It would be a wise idea to follow Tom's and Zachaeous' suggestions about vacuum leaks before you do any throttle body balancing procedures. If you have vacuum leaks, the balancing procedure will be a waste of time!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:18 PM
nlneilson
Advanced

Yes , checking for vacuum leaks will be a priority.

Get notified of new replies

To How to lower idle rpm on a 1984 C4

Quick Reply: How to lower idle rpm on a 1984 C4