C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Inherited an 88

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 AM
SemiCompetent
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inherited an 88

Hey all, brand new to the forum and to Vettes in general. I recently inherited a stock 1988 that’s been parked in a garage for the last 10 years. I figure, since I have a bunch of work to do anyway, I might as well look into some upgrades for the car and I was hoping you guys could tell me start. I’m completely new to modding and I’ll be honest, I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the research I’ve been doing. I figure I have 2 to 3k that I can put into the upgrades. Also, while I’ve done a lot of general maintenance and repairs, I’ve never really tore an engine or rear apart before
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

welcome.....do some searches there are a few good threads on how to modify an L98. There is also lots of help here.....however.....I'l read up a little more about c-4's....great cars but complex. There are really no easy mods that are effective that are cheap....the money for your budget will get you wheels and tires or maybe an exhaust system....get's pricier when you get to the engine....I think Vader 86 had the best thread about what you can do and cost. I'd think about keeping it stock for a while....my 2 cents.....either way, lots of really smart guys here who will help you....

Last edited by playsdixie; 03-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I would say catch up all the maintenance first, and replace anything that might be worn out, such as tires or brakes or whatever.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I would say catch up all the maintenance first, and replace anything that might be worn out, such as tires or brakes or whatever.
What he said.
Get it running and see if it lives up to your expectations or not first before spending a lot of $$ on mods. Until you know what it is, you won't know what it needs. No reason the throw money around needlessly.
My 2 cents.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM
SemiCompetent
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been advised to replace the intake gaskets as part of the general "get her back on the road" work, so I thought while I was in there maybe a new intake, tb, etc would be in the works. I guess all of my research tells me that it's not that simple with this engine. I actually drove the car a few times before it got parked so I know it's fun to drive. Fortunately when my uncle parked it, he parked it in the garage on dollies so the tires are pretty much brand new, and when we towed it to my house, the brakes seemed to work well. It's the interior that's going to need work, but I'm not really worried about that at the moment.

On a separate note, do you guys think I need to drop the gas tank entirely, or is there a good way to drain it? Also, what do I do with the dead gas that I drain out of it?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:23 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by SemiCompetent
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been advised to replace the intake gaskets as part of the general "get her back on the road" work, so I thought while I was in there maybe a new intake, tb, etc would be in the works. I guess all of my research tells me that it's not that simple with this engine. I actually drove the car a few times before it got parked so I know it's fun to drive. Fortunately when my uncle parked it, he parked it in the garage on dollies so the tires are pretty much brand new, and when we towed it to my house, the brakes seemed to work well. It's the interior that's going to need work, but I'm not really worried about that at the moment.

On a separate note, do you guys think I need to drop the gas tank entirely, or is there a good way to drain it? Also, what do I do with the dead gas that I drain out of it?
Whats the issue with the intake gasket ?
As far as the fuel goes, I would try and get it started before I worried about that.
If there is absolutely a good reason to drain all the fuel, then I would disconnect a fuel line and jumper the fuel pump relay, then the fuel pump will just pump it all out. Corvette fuel tanks don't come out all that easily.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 AM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I would agree with general maintenance first, 10 years is a long time to sit and as you drive the car things that seemed fine yesterday may be a problem today like suspension bushings, u joints, etc. Absolutely get that gasoline out of there and re fill with fresh gas. Do not try and start the car with that old gas. Best case, it will run with fresh gas. Worst case, you'll need to replace the fuel pump. You don't want to push that junk into your injectors. I agree with trying to jumper the fuel pump to drain the tank, flushing the pump is a good idea. You may end up replacing you fuel pump shortly anyway. Good idea to change the fuel filter too.

Expect things to have problems as you drive the car more. Oil seals around rotating shafts may start to leak after sitting in one spot for that long. Brake master and calipers may leak after a flush, they will need to be rebuilt or replaced as they come up. Clutch master and slave too if so equipped. None of this is major stuff but it could pile up.

As for mods, there are tons of threads on where to start on an l98. I have a thread about making 300 whp on a budget. My favorite way to make power on an l98 is with an intake manifold and cam. If you have an auto replacing the rear gears is a good beginning mod too.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'd disconnect the fuel line at the filter and power the pump on by applying 12V to terminal G of the ALDL (i think its G, its in the manual). Drain it all, and try to put Sugar-free gasoline in there.

You need the Helm FSM, buy one.

Brake fluid, coolant, oil, etc. Coil/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/ignition module.

Get it running good and drive for 6 months before you spend any money on upgrades.

Last edited by vader86; 03-23-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:53 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would say before you start modding the car, figure out what you really want to do with it. Will it just be a weekend cruiser, daily driver, race car. If you start modding it now, and decide to take it racing (like auto crossing) you may find your mods throw you into a higher class that yo can't compete in unless you throw a ton more mods at it. Look at the rules for any organization you plan to run with.

If it is just a cruiser to go out to eat, car shows, parades, etc. There really isn't a need to add all the mods to it.

If it will be a daily driver, getting it reliable is your biggest concern.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:22 PM
SemiCompetent
6th Gear

Thanks for the advice all, I guess I was getting pretty far ahead of myself on this. Part of it is, living in PA and not having a garage of my own, the weather has been putting a huge damper on the work I need to do; so I've had plenty of time to think about other things that I could do. Time to rein that in a bit.

@Pattern - I don't know that anything is wrong with it, but a mechanic friend of mine suggested that it should be part of the work in getting her on the road
@Thurman - It is an automatic so, once everything else is done, I guess I'll be figuring out how to do the gears
@Vader - I already bought the Chilton, but I'll definitely order the Helm as well. No kidding on the sugar free gas - the worst part is that I have no idea how much gas is in it currently. I already bought all of the stuff you mentioned, just waiting for the weather in the NE to cooperate.
@Vettehardt - Call it a semi-daily driver from mid spring to early fall, no real racing in the future. Probably some shows once we get to that point, but reliability will be a priority to be sure

I'll definitely keep a running update of the progress. I hate getting this the way i did, but I've always wanted a Vette, so I'm just excited to get this all worked out.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:10 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

The more parts you change the more uncertainty you add. Make her a good runner first.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

The 88's had some new improvements over the earlier C4's. You have a good year to start with.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:26 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

If you are to inherit a C4 a 1988 model is a good one to get. There are many improvements that Chevrolet made between 1987 and 1988. I have an 1988 Coupe with the automatic transmission.

Have you ever owned a Corvette before? Are you familiar with Corvettes? Are you mechanically inclined? This is very important.... If you are not good with mechanical things like cars then you better start looking for somebody near your home who "Knows" Corvettes.

These cars are 30 years old now and they usually need a complete updated maintenance to make it a good reliable road car. Your car may look okay on the outside but will need lots of TLC to get it into a "driver" condition.
When I bought mine I had the four tires replaced and all the fluids changed including brake fluid, transmission fluid and even power steering fluid. I then installed four new rotors and rebuilt the calipers.

The ABS system on your C4 is not an easy piece to fix and few mechanics even have the proper tools. The parts are getting harder and harder to find in working condition. By the way, your ABS equipment is behind the drivers seat, at least it is on my 1988.

The brakes are awesome on the 1988 C4! I have a 1968 C3 427 (L-71) Convertible and adjusting the parking brake is a nasty job. The 1988 C4 has a whole different setup, the brakes have a pull type emergency brake which uses a cable and is simple to work on. My ABS lines rusted out to the point where I stepped hard in my driveway and the pedal went to the floor. I ordered the kit from Classic Tubing and am replacing them as we speak.

Before you turn into "Speed Racer" with your C4 take your time and really "learn" the car. These cars are very capable and even dangerous in the hands of somebody unaccustomed to the power and handling characteristics of a Corvette. These cars need to be driven by somebody who respects the car and what it was designed for.

I bought my 1988 back in 1998, it has been a great car and fun to drive. I have done nothing to "Hop it up" as I have plenty of HP from my C3's 427 Big Block. The 1988 on the highway got 30 mpg! I love the performance, styling and comfort of the C4. I am getting my 1988 all cleaned up and ready for another season.

My car after sitting for a couple years would not start primarily due to the rusted/blocked pressure fuel line. I had to run new fuel lines both supply and return. The only thing close to "modifying" my C4 was done by removing the exhaust from the Catalytic converter back. I then installed a Hi-Flow catalytic Converter and a "Chambered" exhaust from Allen's Stainless Exhaust located in Indiana I believe. It sounds really nice and is quiet in the car.

Take your time, "learn the car", work on the car and REALLY enjoy the heck out of Chevrolet's greatest product!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:06 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

If your Vette has been sitting on "new" tires for 10 years they may look good but could be an accident waiting to happen. Many forum folks feel that after 5 years or so its time to replace regardless of the mileage. If you decide to keep them for awhile just don't get too frisky, especially in the twisties.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM
SemiCompetent
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Have you ever owned a Corvette before? Are you familiar with Corvettes? Are you mechanically inclined? This is very important.... If you are not good with mechanical things like cars then you better start looking for somebody near your home who "Knows" Corvettes.
This is my first 'Vette and I am not familiar with Corvettes in particular. I am mechanically inclined, it's just that there are some things I have not done and do not have the equipment to do. I have done work on an engine up to replacing intake gaskets, but I've never worked with, or removed cylinder heads and I've never done anything with the cam, pistons, crankshaft, etc. I've never tore apart the front of an engine for the water pump or timing chain, mostly due to equipment and space restrictions. I've done exhaust work, as long as it didn't require a torch as I do not trust myself with a torch under a car. I've done a lot of brake work, but nothing with the ABS controllers, etc. If I find something I can't do that can be done in my driveway I definitely know people that can help with that. If this ends up needing a shop, I have 2 that have never done me wrong, so I'm not too worried about this.

Last edited by SemiCompetent; 03-28-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Inherited an 88

Quick Reply: Inherited an 88