C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 c4 tpi .no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 AM
Titto Caasttillo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 c4 tpi .no spark

Hello guys I'm new here I want to say thanks in advance I really hope you all can help me out with my car I'm so stressed out already. This what I have done so far.
1.i put new distributor, rotor and cap msd. Ignition control module Acdelco.
My car was working fine with the old distributor now that I was expecting to start it,it doesn't .that's all I did replace the distributor.... What the car does is this.. Cranks but not starts.. When my fusible link under the ecm is unplugged ,I have spark but I don't have fuel in the rails, and when it's plugged back. I have gas but no spark. I replaced the ecm and it was the same problem. Please guys any help I hope you all make time to help me out that's in advance.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the new distributor correct for the car? What's the part number?

Are all connections plugged in? There should be 3 plugs that connect to the distributor. Also check the connections, try wiggling the connections to the distributor while cranking and see if you get anything. One or more of the wires may not be getting a good connection, check them.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:01 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I borrowed this from a previous post Loooong ago-- I had a hunch so I checked; "Double check oil pressure sending unit and sensor, ecm needs a 4psi signal to fire injectors and pull in FP relay. It may have been easy to knock off the wire loose when swapping distributor. The engine should start from the fuel in the intake, but "should" shut off if no signal. It isn't actual pressure, it's signal to ecm."

Also, check the TPS, if the unit reads WOT it will not start.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 03-23-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
"ecm needs a 4psi signal to fire injectors and pull in FP relay.
No, that is not how it works. The oil pressure switch is a backup system, to the fuel pump relay. If the fuel pump relay fails, you crank the engine and when the oil pressure switch sees 4+ PSI, it closes, sending power to the fuel pump. THe oil pressure switch has no influence over the fuel pump relay.

If I were the OP, I'd be putting the original distributor back in. He says that it was working fine with the original on.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

If I were the OP, I'd be putting the original distributor back in. He says that it was working fine with the original on.
Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Kind of what I was thinking too.
I'm with these guys unless the OP comes back with a much better explanation of what was bought and installed.

New distributor and new control module doesn't mix then went on to mention replacing ECM. Did OP mean maybe just MSD cap, rotor and ACD module?

Fusible link H (under ECM provides power to ECM and OPS)

There seems to be much going on in the original post.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-24-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 c4 tpi .no spark

Quick Reply: 1990 c4 tpi .no spark