C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700R4 1984 Crossfire C4 , shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:44 AM
Toolman1972
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 1984 Crossfire C4 , shifting issues

Good evening everyone,

I picked up a 84 Crossfire as a bit of a project , runs decent , interior is a bit ratty but I’m getting it together.
So I was gonna take it for a quick spin up the road a mile after changing oil , took off , hammered it a bit .
Won’t shift out of low .
i can manually move the the selecter , no change , rock solid low and rock solid reverse.
I haven’t checked the kickdown cable adjustment yet , but when I had it in the lift tonight I noticed what I assume is the VSS connector ( drivers side - tailshaft housing ) two wire plug , wires are both cut about 1/2 up the trans and connector is chewed up
What controls the upshift ?
And with the VSS wires cut my Speedo shouldn’t work ? Correct ? But it does
Now I know this car sat for at least a year , quite possibly had some water damage from what I’ve seen , ( local low lying creek flood ) the floors were dry but the seat brackets were rusty ,
looking for some pointers , I did just order a pigtail connector for the VSS , just not entirely sure what I should be looking for .
trans fluid is clean , had a cooler line leaking and I’m changing those out tomorrow.
Any pointers would be appreciated!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:53 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman1972
Good evening everyone,

I picked up a 84 Crossfire as a bit of a project , runs decent , interior is a bit ratty but I’m getting it together.
So I was gonna take it for a quick spin up the road a mile after changing oil , took off , hammered it a bit .
Won’t shift out of low .
i can manually move the the selecter , no change , rock solid low and rock solid reverse.
I haven’t checked the kickdown cable adjustment yet , but when I had it in the lift tonight I noticed what I assume is the VSS connector ( drivers side - tailshaft housing ) two wire plug , wires are both cut about 1/2 up the trans and connector is chewed up
What controls the upshift ?
And with the VSS wires cut my Speedo shouldn’t work ? Correct ? But it does
Now I know this car sat for at least a year , quite possibly had some water damage from what I’ve seen , ( local low lying creek flood ) the floors were dry but the seat brackets were rusty ,
looking for some pointers , I did just order a pigtail connector for the VSS , just not entirely sure what I should be looking for .
trans fluid is clean , had a cooler line leaking and I’m changing those out tomorrow.
Any pointers would be appreciated!
Hi
The governor can be a problem if the gears strip it wont let the trans shift out of first, first check the trans fluid if its low it can also fail to shift out of first.

The governor is on the left side of the transmission, has a round cover.
Just google c4 corvette governor replacement it can be done while in the car if its the governor.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:56 AM
Toolman1972
Intermediate

Yes I read something on the governor issue, I’m sorta thinking it might just be low fluid level , I checked it , but odds are it wasn’t really warmed up enough . And with the cooler lines leaking , it’s possible

Im still confused on the VSS , if the Speedo is working with the VSS wires cut , where is the Speedo getting its signal ?
Odd ....
Old 03-25-2018, 03:26 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman1972
Yes I read something on the governor issue, I’m sorta thinking it might just be low fluid level , I checked it , but odds are it wasn’t really warmed up enough . And with the cooler lines leaking , it’s possible

Im still confused on the VSS , if the Speedo is working with the VSS wires cut , where is the Speedo getting its signal ?
Odd ....
Are you "sure" the speed sensor wires are cut, at the tranny or at some intermediate point? If your TV, throttle valve, cable was not set right, you may have fried the tranny, one symptom of that is "stuck in first gear".
Old 03-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Toolman1972
Intermediate

Yes I’m , 100% positive they were cut , I took the plug out of the VSS , soldered about 8” of new wire in just a couple hours ago ....
so we will see once I get the cooler lines back on and fluid topped off ..
id still like to know more about this VSS , I can’t see how it could be disabled and still have a functioning Speedo

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 1984 Crossfire C4 , shifting issues

Quick Reply: 700R4 1984 Crossfire C4 , shifting issues