C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Aux Cooling Fan Connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:48 PM
JTSK
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1985 Aux Cooling Fan Connection

Can someone tell me if this connector peeking over the front edge of the radiator shroud is the connector for the aux fan? And if it is, which side is ground? I'm asking because the previous owner hacked the fan wiring something terrible and I'm trying to get it back right.

thanks, Aux fan connection?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:43 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I may be able to help but your pic is too close.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

hate to disagree with the barking dog guy, but that appears to be the inline harness connector for the aux fan. here's my 85 (unplugged to show the connector type). the actual (aux) fan motor wiring harness is a red and black wire that comes up through the shroud and grommet where the plug and receptacle connect as shown in my pic. the OP has a red and black wire coming through the radiator shroud (less grommet), at the bottom of his photo, so I've got to ask, what's plugged into that part of that harness?

(note the black color coding for ground identification)

Last edited by Joe C; 04-02-2018 at 06:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JTSK (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:21 AM
JTSK
Advanced

Joe C, thank you thank you, thank you! I had suspected it was, but your picture is a huge help! The previous owner removed the factory primary cooling fan, and hacked the wires connecting the aux fan to an aftermarket fan he installed, and of course he hacked those wires too. (chopped the connectors and used speaker wire) Now that I have the aux sorted out, I am moving on to find the wires that originally went to the primary cooling fan.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:48 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by JTSK
Joe C, thank you thank you, thank you! I had suspected it was, but your picture is a huge help! The previous owner removed the factory primary cooling fan, and hacked the wires connecting the aux fan to an aftermarket fan he installed, and of course he hacked those wires too. (chopped the connectors and used speaker wire) Now that I have the aux sorted out, I am moving on to find the wires that originally went to the primary cooling fan.
- glad I could help. the wiring for the main cooling fan breaks out of a harness just to the left of the power steering fluid reservoir. it routes up and around to the main fan motor.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

OP - You have the FSM to confirm relay and fan wiring? As heavily modified as you hint there's much to confirm. Your connector in the first post I might have expected blk/red & blk wire, blk/red being black with red tracer/stripe + and blk being ground as mentioned. If wires at your connector aren't blk/red & blk I believe you need to confirm the colors of the wire. The weather-pack certainly hints a correct connector but wire colors and testing confirms.

Your SPID shows the V08 option?

I believe you start at the relays and confirm moving forward.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - You have the FSM to confirm relay and fan wiring? As heavily modified as you hint there's much to confirm. Your connector in the first post I might have expected blk/red & blk wire, blk/red being black with red tracer/stripe + and blk being ground as mentioned. If wires at your connector aren't blk/red & blk I believe you need to confirm the colors of the wire. The weather-pack certainly hints a correct connector but wire colors and testing confirms.

Your SPID shows the V08 option?

I believe you start at the relays and confirm moving forward.
w/WVZ on this one - start with a FSM (pg 124) and fan relays. quick note, the main fan is ECM controlled, and the aux fan via a cooling fan temp switch (located, RH cylinder head near oil dip stick). hopefully, everything and anything that was bubba'd can be un-bubba'd. good luck....
Old 04-02-2018, 07:15 PM
JTSK
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the help. I do have a FSM on order, but not here yet and yes, my SPID does show code V08. I have not actually checked the wires to the connector yet, but before I do anything I will be verifying and checking the wiring schematics. It's definitely had some bubba work on it!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:48 PM
JTSK
Advanced

UPDATE: This afternoon, I cleaned the grime off of the wires to the connector in my first post, and one side is black/red, and the other is black. I also found a cut black/red wire and black wire in the bundle, which is where the PO apparently spliced the aftermarket fan he once had in. Still awaiting the arrival of my FSM to confirm, but I believe I'm on the right path to getting the fan wiring sorted out, and hooked up correctly. Thanks for the info and help everyone.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

UPDATE: This afternoon, I cleaned the grime off of the wires to the connector in my first post, and one side is black/red, and the other is black. I also found a cut black/red wire and black wire in the bundle, which is where the PO apparently spliced the aftermarket fan he once had in. Still awaiting the arrival of my FSM to confirm, but I believe I'm on the right path to getting the fan wiring sorted out, and hooked up correctly. Thanks for the info and help everyone.
Where are you located and did you buy paper or digital FSM?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 PM
JTSK
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Where are you located and did you buy paper or digital FSM?
I'm in Memphis, TN and I opted for the book. Due in by Friday.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM
JTSK
Advanced

UPDATE: The FSM came in and I was able to confirm the wiring for both the primary and auxiliary fans and now they are wired properly and the computer is controlling them as it should, and the hack wiring from the PO has been eliminated. Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this! Your help is deeply appreciated. Now, on to the next issue!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Joe C
Race Director

UPDATE: The FSM came in and I was able to confirm the wiring for both the primary and auxiliary fans and now they are wired properly and the computer is controlling them as it should, and the hack wiring from the PO has been eliminated. Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this! Your help is deeply appreciated. Now, on to the next issue!

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Aux Cooling Fan Connection

Quick Reply: 1985 Aux Cooling Fan Connection