C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any gizmos to have the cooling fans come on earlier?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:00 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default Any gizmos to have the cooling fans come on earlier?

Does anyone have a solution to having the engine cooling fans come on "earlier" than the factory specifications?

I live in Texas and summer is fast approaching and I'd like to see if I can get the fans to come on about 200-205-ish. I realize the engine are designed to run at 225-230 but I've never been a fan.

I put in a new lower degree fan temp sensors on my C4 and now the auxiliary comes on at 205 instead of 228. The car, AC and owner are much happier so I wondering if C5s have something similar?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

This is probably a C5 Tech section question, but I suspect the answer lies in the ECM.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lots of good information about the C4 cooling system here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...peratures.html

As long as the radiator is in good condition and there is nothing trapped between the tubes and fins of the radiator and A/C condensor or dirt and debris between the two components, the car should survive summer heat.

As you noted, the C4 cooling system was designed to handle higher coolant temps and that was done to reduce emissions. Test mule C4's were driven at the GM Proving Grounds in AZ in temps of 115 degrees F and higher. GM spent a lot of time and money to make sure the C4 had a good cooling system.

Also, make sure that the air dams below the nose of the car are in place and in good condition. C4's are "bottom-breathers" and those air dams are designed to direct air up into the condensor and radiator.

It a good idea to flush and refill the coolant every 2-3 years with a good quality green coolant and distilled water. Make sure the radiator hoses are in good shape. Old, weak hoses can collapse and reduce the flow of coolant.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:08 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
This is probably a C5 Tech section question, but I suspect the answer lies in the ECM.
Geesh... my wife is correct; I AM an idiot.

I meant to post this in the C5 tech section but got fat fingers.

This what happens when you have two different generations and are hopping between forum sections.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:54 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Geesh... my wife is correct; I AM an idiot.

I meant to post this in the C5 tech section but got fat fingers.

This what happens when you have two different generations and are hopping between forum sections.

Been there, done that.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 04-04-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

Just goes to show that whatever generation you have, 3,4 or5 the problems are all the same.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:29 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

The fans on the C5 are controlled by the PCM. There is a kit made by SAC City Corvette that has a manual version that you can turn on the high speed fan:

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/HardWireCoolit.html

You also can get someone to tune your car to change the temps the fans come on.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by zachaeous
The fans on the C5 are controlled by the PCM. There is a kit made by SAC City Corvette that has a manual version that you can turn on the high speed fan:

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/HardWireCoolit.html

You also can get someone to tune your car to change the temps the fans come on.
I was charged $260 to reprogram just the fan temp setting on my 96 LT4. thought that was excessive , but over heating is no longer an issue , car runs cool and I no longer have to fiddle with on/off fan over ride switch , wayyyy mo betta .
The following users liked this post:
Kalel152 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

If you are having trouble keeping your car cool or just want to see a bit lower temperatures you might look at the following information.

Your cooling system is probably like most with the 16 lb radiator cap. This combined with anti-freeze protects you to roughly 260 Degrees F.
If you remove the pressure cap the car will boil over near the 212 degree mark.

One common misconception is that Anti-freeze helps your car stay cool, some people even run more than 50%. I saw one guy who had overheating issues in his Japanese car and we found that he had changed the anti-freeze to PURE anti-freeze(A/F). That caused the car to overheat because anti-freeze does little to cool your car down. It does have good lubricants in it which help the water pump seal last a few years.

In Texas I doubt you see below freezing as often as we do in the northern States. Your anti freeze ratio should be lower, as low as you can go without risking damage from freezing.

Be sure to replace the radiator cap every five years or so, the springs wear out. A faulty cap will cause your car to run hotter if it can't hold 16 pounds pressure.

Red Line Synthetic Oil makes something called "Water Wetter" and I have been using it in both of my Corvettes with great success.
according to their web site this is how it works.
"These products include a unique agent that lowers temperatures by reducing or eliminating bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces"
This is taken from the Red Line website:
https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter

I am using less than 20% A/F, a bottle of Water Wetter and distilled water in my radiators. I still use the 16 lb. radiator cap and my engines run nice and cool. I replace the radiator caps every five years as I also flush everything on that same schedule.

If your radiator is a few years old (and Aluminum)you might try cleaning it with "Coil Cleaner". Coil Cleaner is usually a mild phosphoric acid that takes the corrosion off of aluminum coils. It is used on home AC units as preventative maintenance. It will make your radiator nice and clean if you have an aluminum radiator. I also clean the AC condenser with it as it is aluminum.

I don't drive either Corvette in the really cold weather so the need for freeze protection is minimal.

I hope that this little bit of information can help you keep your Beautiful Corvette cruising all summer long without issues. Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM
RWC4PHX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you reprogram the cooling fans on a 1994 since it is not an OBDII?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:15 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by RWC4PHX
Can you reprogram the cooling fans on a 1994 since it is not an OBDII?
Don't think so....BUT I am no expert. only reference I have seen for reprograming was the 96 only C4.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:39 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by johno504
Don't think so....BUT I am no expert. only reference I have seen for reprograming was the 96 only C4.
So you know.,..You can. I reprogrammed my 89 to come on lower after swapping from the OEM 195 stat to a 180. (383 conversion too).
Old 07-06-2018, 02:37 AM
94c4er
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but will need a Program such as Tuner CATS and the temp is set in Celsius so you need to figure out what temp you want them to come on and off and convert the number to Celsius.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 94c4er
Yes, but will need a Program such as Tuner CATS and the temp is set in Celsius so you need to figure out what temp you want them to come on and off and convert the number to Celsius.
If the temps are set to Celsius, set the temp to 100*, which is 212* F, you should be good...if you have Tuner CAT, that is...hmmm wonder where I can get TunerCat...

D.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:06 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

my LT4 is set at 95C on , 90C off with 180 thermostat.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
the car will boil over near the 212 degree mark.
Actually 50/50 mix boils at closer to 225F.

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
It does have good lubricants in it which help the water pump seal last a few years.
Sorry, but water pump seals do no require any kind of "lubricant" to last a few years. That is LORE. My boat's water pump is proof of that; 1000 hours and 26 years old....it's never been "lubricated" in it's life.

FYI, My 'Vette runs fine and cool in 100+F temps. I've even dual driven auto crossed it in 100*F and engine temp never got above 215 (w/the AC on). I use plain old 50/50 ELC and decent PM.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

FWIW, TunerPro cooling fan tables are in Farenheit. Two sets -- one with A/C on...the other OFF.

Get notified of new replies

To Any gizmos to have the cooling fans come on earlier?

Quick Reply: Any gizmos to have the cooling fans come on earlier?