C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel Play and Alignment Play

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:55 PM
93vetteC4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Play and Alignment Play

Hello all,

-- Longtime lurker, new poster.

I have a 93 C4 with some interesting issues with my steering. I have quite a bit of steering play all the time -- but my most concerning issue is that the alignment (wheel straight on position) will change after taking sharp curves.

For instance, I go around a right turn very fast, my wheel will now be 5 degrees right when driving straight.

On the interstate, if I go over a bridge and it is a left hand turning bridge I will feel the wheel abruptly change direction upon hitting the long straight bump that is usually present at the start of a bridge. This can be terrifying sometimes, and after exiting this turn my wheel will now be 5 degrees left when driving.

The car drives straight, no pull, and I've had it aligned by multiple shops.

I had some play in the front wheels when shaking them up and down when the car is jacked up, so I replaced all of the ball joints. I also had a shop tell me that the ball joints were the cause of my steering issues. Fixing the ball joints did nothing for my issues.

I've had another shop tell me that it was the steering rack.

I can't feel any play in the outer tie rods when jacking the car up.

What would cause this type of issue? Should I just go ahead and replace all of the steering components (rack, tie rods)?

Last edited by 93vetteC4; 04-06-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

One of the disappoints in the excellent C4 suspension is a "rag" joint is used to attach rack to steering shaft. I would look there.
The following users liked this post:
93vetteC4 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 05:58 PM
93vetteC4
4th Gear

Wouldn't the faulty rag cause an overall slop in steering, but not necessarily the alignment shift?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

There is something moving in your suspension. I had a 1990 5.0 Mustang that could not hold an alignment, the tops of the struts were moving.

Take a look in where the shims are on the top a-arms. Check if all is tight. Then check the bushings holding the rack in place.

It could be the rack itself. I had another car if you bumped up against the stops it would change the position of the wheel.

Can you put it up on jack stands and watch from underneath as a couple helpers hold the steering wheel and the others push and pull on the wheels ?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure that the bushings holding the rack to the frame have no slop. Check it by having someone move the steering wheel several inches back and fourth while watching for side to side movement of the rack from underneath.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM
93vetteC4
4th Gear

For anyone looking at this post who have the same issues, I believe that it is the bushings as Jeff78 mentioned. I am trying those now and will see what happens.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Agree with others on bushings being a likely culprit.

For whaf its worth, I had a worn rag joint in my car. It resulted in a slop feeling in the steering wheel but did not exhibit the symptoms described by the OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Play and Alignment Play

Quick Reply: Wheel Play and Alignment Play