C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT 4 idle and misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 0 mph

First thing I did was to check for vacuum leaks the old school way, starting fluid sprayed on vacuum lines. Saw no changes or Rpm rise. I’ll check again. When I cleaned MAFS I took some of that cleaner cleaned the throat of TB. Didn’t have any throttle body cleaner here and was afraid to spray that cleaner into engine. Will pick up some TB cleaner and use. Thanks for your ideas..!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Default Continued surging

Cleaned MAFS and throttle body again. Looked more for vacuum leaks but none found. Changed PCV valve. Only code car has ever shown was P0154, O2 sensor 2nd bank , sensor 1. Has only shown up twice and cleared itself both times at highway speed. So I bought the correct O2 sensor, called a garage and took it in to have changed. Mechanic not as old as my hunting boots says 02 won’t cause that surge but he can find it. Anyway...Two hours later he’s says think it’s the intake but I need to take to Chevy place. Older mechanic looks it over and gets it to idle temporarily ok by messing with the opti vac hoses. Says leak is down there but will need to pull distribution to be able to get to hoses and bring it back and leave it so it can be cool. As you might guess this is gonna be costly. My question is can I get to and change the vent line and vac line on the opti without pulling water pump..?

Last edited by Capt. Ron; 04-24-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Yes. Opti vent hoses can be changed without disturbing water pump.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:44 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevova
Yes. Opti vent hoses can be changed without disturbing water pump.
Thanks...that’s what I was hoping. I found this part # for the hoses 12558921 but nothing comes up. Will do more research and try to find a YouTube or two. Thanks again...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Ron
Cleaned MAFS and throttle body again. Looked more for vacuum leaks but none found. Changed PCV valve. Only code car has ever shown was P0154, O2 sensor 2nd bank , sensor 1. Has only shown up twice and cleared itself both times at highway speed. So I bought the correct O2 sensor, called a garage and took it in to have changed. Mechanic not as old as my hunting boots says 02 won’t cause that surge but he can find it. Anyway...Two hours later he’s says think it’s the intake but I need to take to Chevy place. Older mechanic looks it over and gets it to idle temporarily ok by messing with the opti vac hoses. Says leak is down there but will need to pull distribution to be able to get to hoses and bring it back and leave it so it can be cool. As you might guess this is gonna be costly. My question is can I get to and change the vent line and vac line on the opti without pulling water pump..?
Wait, I don't understand this at all. The vent hose to the opti from the intake just sucks in air. There's no restriction on it at all. So it's already an open "leak" by design. The hose could be full of holes or completely disconnected and it wouldn't change the amount of air entering the engine. All of this is to say that this isn't a source of a vacuum leak. A leak would be a place that doesn't normally suck air into the engine that's now sucking air in; whereas the opti vent hose always sucks unrestricted air into the engine. Something here isn't making sense.

ETA: My original advice remains. I strongly recommend doing a datalog to figure out what the sensors are seeing and what the PCM is commanding. Again, the fact that it runs fine in open loop mode (when cold) tells us this probably isn't a constant mechanical problem like a vacuum leak. The Factory Service Manual for a 96 C4 will contain lots of troubleshooting decision trees for issues like this.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 04-24-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Wait, I don't understand this at all. The vent hose to the opti from the intake just sucks in air. There's no restriction on it at all. So it's already an open "leak" by design. The hose could be full of holes or completely disconnected and it wouldn't change the amount of air entering the engine. All of this is to say that this isn't a source of a vacuum leak. A leak would be a place that doesn't normally suck air into the engine that's now sucking air in; whereas the opti vent hose always sucks unrestricted air into the engine. Something here isn't making sense.

ETA: My original advice remains. I strongly recommend doing a datalog to figure out what the sensors are seeing and what the PCM is commanding. Again, the fact that it runs fine in open loop mode (when cold) tells us this probably isn't a constant mechanical problem like a vacuum leak. The Factory Service Manual for a 96 C4 will contain lots of troubleshooting decision trees for issues like this.
I did buy the service manual. I don’t have any diagnostic tools other than a code reader. I have seen the trees and appreciate your suggestions very much but a bit more than I can do. I have taken to two garages and both used their scanners and both had no real clue as to the issue...?? Guess I need better mechanics...I do get what your saying about the opti vacuum. I think that 95 was the first year to vent and was designed to keep moisture out.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

I think that 95 was the first year to vent and was designed to keep moisture out. [/left]
That's correct, 95 was the first year. It pulls in fresh, filtered air from the intake snorkel, through the distributor, and then into the vacuum port on the intake. So that's just air being sucked into the engine all the time, no restriction.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Default Continuing problem...

In addition to what’s mentioned in the above posts...I now have replaced the IAC, the TPS, looked for more vacuum leaks...No change. Took it to Chevy place. They called said that they’re not sure what the cause is...Tested sensors, checked for leaks, nothing they did stoped the idle surge. They are recommending a new ECM but no guarantees....
Old 07-15-2018, 09:31 PM
rhandle
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Does it only happen with the air conditioner on? What happens when you switch it off
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Originally Posted by rhandle
Does it only happen with the air conditioner on? What happens when you switch it off
Same with A/C on or off...
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great thread! My 96 LT4 has a multipul misfires code as well. Like, if i am in 4th rolling at 30 mph, the car has a backfire hiccup thru the intake if i get on it, but then runs like gangbusters after. My idle is 1000 rpm.

Last edited by MikieG1971; 07-15-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Scott442
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 94 auto runs normal in closed loop but when warmed up will surge in drive and the idle will fluctuate. Recently while experiencing the issue I disconnected the engine coolant temperature sensor on the water pump and the idle was normal. Plugged it back in and the symptoms returned. I have a new sensor to install once I have some free time and feel like wrenching in 100+ degree heat.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scott442
My 94 auto runs normal in closed loop but when warmed up will surge in drive and the idle will fluctuate. Recently while experiencing the issue I disconnected the engine coolant temperature sensor on the water pump and the idle was normal. Plugged it back in and the symptoms returned. I have a new sensor to install once I have some free time and feel like wrenching in 100+ degree heat.
Not to be pedantic, but in this case terminology matters. When the car is started cold or operating at WOT, it is in open loop mode, not closed loop. In open loop mode it's ignoring a number of the sensors that it uses to control the engine in closed loop mode.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Scott442
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the catch Matthew. I sheepishly admit that I proofread my post multiple times before posting.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scott442
Thanks for the catch Matthew. I sheepishly admit that I proofread my post multiple times before posting.
LOL, I've done that a few times, and in fact I had to catch the same error in my own reply before I posted it. It's easy to do.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Default Injectors

[QUOTE=96GS#007;1596980198]Check the impedance on the injectors. They should be around 12 ohms. Injectors going bad drive the PCM crazy (via the o2 sensors) once it enters closed loop. Have seen this on several C4s and now that the LT4 is 22 years old, it’s bound to happen on some of them.[/QUOTE

All 8 Show 12 to 12.5.....??

Last edited by Capt. Ron; 07-18-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Default Back on my own.

Chevy place checked every sensor, unplugged vacuum hoses to check, removed throttle body cleaned with new gaskets. Corvette guy came to see...ordered new PCM. The one that came in could not be programmed so sent back and they just said come get car we don’t know...?? They have much better scanners and skill than me so back on my own...could it be PCM..? What sticks key in my mind is the idle only acts up when speedo says 0. 1 MPH and idles fine...Coukd PCM be bad...Car runs great, looks great. Still a slight miss in 6th if your still at 60 but smooths Out. I’m am a loss...Any good Corvette shops in SE GA or NE Fl you can recommend. Done all I know to do...

Get notified of new replies

To LT 4 idle and misfire.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have an obd II scanner that does live data? My car had the erratic idle when the engine coolant temperature sensor connector was on it's way out. It randomly jump way up in rpms for a few seconds and drop back down like it had a mind of its own. The idle jumps when the connector loses connection. At full resistance the computer reads this as -140F and tries adjust for it (really high idle). You will see it in the odb II scanner. This is the sensor that goes into the front of the engine. Once I saw the -140F on the scanner when the idle went high, I proved it was the connector by cutting it off, stripping the wires and using alligator clips to by pass and it ran perfect.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:01 PM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Default Scanner

I do not have that type of scanner but if someone can recommend one I’ll look into it...Tired of this problem. Mechanic at Chevy place had seen a post on here similar and he said he unplugged this sensor and made no difference. Is this the sensor that goes to the analog gauge..it seems to run hotter than the digital one. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Mechanic at Chevy place had seen a post on here similar and he said he unplugged this sensor and made no difference. Is this the sensor that goes to the analog gauge..it seems to run hotter than the digital one. Thank you for your help.
Unplugging the sensor would cause it to see infinite resistance though, which tells the computer the engine is at -140F. The mechanic would have had to jump across the two terminals of the connect, like haxx did (except maybe you can do it without cutting off the connector by using a paper clip or something). Then the computer would think the engine is really warm, and if that makes it run well then you know it's the temp sensor.

Quick Reply: LT 4 idle and misfire.