C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 will not stay running. Please help

Old 04-07-2018, 11:34 PM
frytex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1987 will not stay running. Please help

Took a 1987 Vette to get an oil change and did a duel cleaning, there they push a cleaning into the intake and it cleans everything then you turn the car off wait restart it and smoke comes out everywhere like seafoam but better. It started and blew some smoke like it was supose to. Then they took it out to test it and it ran great. Then it started sputtering and would die. Now it will not start. I got the car from some one who had it setting in a barn for a few years. Put new gas in it and he had the fuel pump changed out. Not sure where the fuel filter is but can't understand why it will not start. Any help will help.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:19 AM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try this

So here is a hillbilly way to see if it's a fuel starvation issue. Disconnect the intake tract to expose the butterflies (I'm assuming TPI) and a take a straw and open the butterflies and dump an couple ounces of fuel in the I take (no more than that!) Then try to start it. If it fires then you have a fuel issue. If it doesn't even try, then it's time to look elsewhere. I also assume it ran ok before the seafoam treatment?
​​​​​​If so, it is possible, and I've seen it happen when they push that cleaner too fast and end up burning valves. Compression test might be in order.
Hope you get it figured out.

Dan
Old 04-08-2018, 04:14 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by frytex
Took a 1987 Vette to get an oil change and did a duel cleaning, there they push a cleaning into the intake and it cleans everything then you turn the car off wait restart it and smoke comes out everywhere like seafoam but better. It started and blew some smoke like it was supose to. Then they took it out to test it and it ran great. Then it started sputtering and would die. Now it will not start. I got the car from some one who had it setting in a barn for a few years. Put new gas in it and he had the fuel pump changed out. Not sure where the fuel filter is but can't understand why it will not start. Any help will help.
Hi

First check for any codes (check engine light)
Could be fuel pump, check the fuel pressure it should be around 38 psi. The MAF sensor cannot cope with water or anything sprayed on it if its damaged the car wont run.
You can unplug the MAF and see if it helps the ecm will use a default maf value, also check the EGR valve has not jammed open from backfire. Check it opens and closes, good luck.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

A duel is a contest to the death. Is that the sort of "cleaning" you are talking about? Wait. Don't tell me. I don't want to know when the authorities come knocking.

Without know what crap they put in, I suspect the only cleaning that was done is on your wallet so I really wouldn't recommend that again. All you get is a smoke show.

Let's start with the basics. Assuming you have air, let's check for fuel pressure and see what happens. If it is running, I would do a WOT test and see what it does also at idle with the fuel pressure regulator hose off. Since you can't get it running, lets see if it gets to full pressure when you turn the car to run BUT do not crank. See if it holds that pressure. After which, lets try spark. Make sure you have a steady blue flame. Also, it will be hard to see if the plug wires are leaking since it isn't running. Go over the car again. Did they get the plug wires right? Did they connect the MAF correctly? (I have doubts since if not connected, it will default to programmed values. OTOH, they may have screwed something up with the smoke show. Do you have a scanner? NOT a code reader, a scanner which can give data values?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM
frytex
Racer

Update: They did a fuel System cleaner this is from a lube and oil change place. it is suppose to clean the injectors, the lines and everywhere the fuel goes. They have now checked it and fuel is getting to the rails, but will not start like it is not getting gas. does anyone know if the alarm system shuts the flow of fuel to the engine and if so how do you turn off the security system. I am reaching now just trying to find something
Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Update: They did a fuel System cleaner this is from a lube and oil change place. it is suppose to clean the injectors, the lines and everywhere the fuel goes. They have now checked it and fuel is getting to the rails, but will not start like it is not getting gas. does anyone know if the alarm system shuts the flow of fuel to the engine and if so how do you turn off the security system. I am reaching now just trying to find something
How do you KNOW that you are getting enough fuel pressure to the rail? Did you check it? I'd turn the key to run position and see if you got full pressure Then see if it holds. After that take a noodles light to the injector harness and see if it pulses If it does, I suspect the injectors were screwed up by the cleaner since Multecs do not like anything but gasoline That includes ethanol and whatever snake oil they pump in.

Edit: Go to Autozone and borrow a fuel pressure tester and an injector noid light tester and report back.

Fuel Pressure Tester

Noid Light

Last edited by aklim; 04-09-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it turn over and not fire or does it not turn over at all? If the VATS is active, the car will not turnover at all.

[QUOTE=aklim;1596960809]How do you KNOW that you are getting enough fuel pressure to the rail? Did you check it? I'd turn the key to run position and see if you got full pressure Then see if it holds. After that take a noodles light to the injector harness and see if it pulses If it does, I suspect the injectors were screwed up by the cleaner since Multecs do not like anything but gasoline That includes ethanol and whatever snake oil they pump in.

Edit: Go to Autozone and borrow a fuel pressure tester and an injector noid light tester and report back.

Make sure the pump actually is putting out what it needs to and then move on to diagnosing if it is getting a spark. Those Multecs are temperamental, well worth upgrading to some Bosch D3s if you plan on seriously running the car or daily driving. Also agree with making sure the MAF didn't get messed up with the cleaning. Also, if you pulled it out of a place that it sat for a long time unattended and in disrepair, those harness retention clips like to break and let the harness drape on the block and manifolds causing it to melt through connectors, etc. (ask me how I know that one...)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 PM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

[QUOTE=JasBass;1596963433]Does it turn over and not fire or does it not turn over at all? If the VATS is active, the car will not turnover at all.

Originally Posted by aklim
How do you KNOW that you are getting enough fuel pressure to the rail? Did you check it? I'd turn the key to run position and see if you got full pressure Then see if it holds. After that take a noodles light to the injector harness and see if it pulses If it does, I suspect the injectors were screwed up by the cleaner since Multecs do not like anything but gasoline That includes ethanol and whatever snake oil they pump in.

Make sure the pump actually is putting out what it needs to and then move on to diagnosing if it is getting a spark. Those Multecs are temperamental, well worth upgrading to some Bosch D3s if you plan on seriously running the car or daily driving. Also agree with making sure the MAF didn't get messed up with the cleaning. Also, if you pulled it out of a place that it sat for a long time unattended and in disrepair, those harness retention clips like to break and let the harness drape on the block and manifolds causing it to melt through connectors, etc. (ask me how I know that one...)
Ickkkk, I'm heading for the corner with popcorn on this one....

Dan
Old 04-09-2018, 09:21 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=7 Devil's;1596963744]
Originally Posted by JasBass
Does it turn over and not fire or does it not turn over at all? If the VATS is active, the car will not turnover at all.

Ickkkk, I'm heading for the corner with popcorn on this one....

Dan
Cause that really helps the OP
Old 04-09-2018, 10:58 PM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

[QUOTE=JasBass;1596963889]
Originally Posted by 7 Devil's

Cause that really helps the OP
In all truth I don't know that wiring harness well enough to be much help, otherwise I would offer my opinion. I've built lots of hot rods but never messed with too many Corvettes.
I can offer diagnostic ideas all day long, but other have already offered that with more knowledge of that chassis than I have.

​​​​​​Dan
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 AM
frytex
Racer

UPDATE- The car is now running, changed out the old spark plugs and put new ones in and gapped them to make sure it was good, New wires were also put on. we have fire, next replaced the fuel injectors they were very wet inside as were the spark plugs. Once we changed out the injectors the car will now start and running fine. never do a fuel cleaning on that year of Vette.

[QUOTE=JasBass;1596963433]Does it turn over and not fire or does it not turn over at all? If the VATS is active, the car will not turnover at all.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:27 AM
aklim
Team Owner

UPDATE- The car is now running, changed out the old spark plugs and put new ones in and gapped them to make sure it was good, New wires were also put on. we have fire, next replaced the fuel injectors they were very wet inside as were the spark plugs. Once we changed out the injectors the car will now start and running fine. never do a fuel cleaning on that year of Vette.
First off, it is NOT the year of Vette. It is the Multec injector that doesn't like anything besides gas. IOW, it is even going to be an issue in an F-body or a truck if they have that injector. As suggested, change the injectors like you did. Second if you really want to clean the injectors, use a service to do it or at the very least, take the injectors to some place with a flow bench so you can see what the spray pattern and volume is. Compare it to spec volume and you can see if it is flowing incorrectly or not. These snake oils are like cleaning a room blindfolded. At the end of the day, you don't really know what you have cleaned and how much is left to be cleaned.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 AM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

QUOTE=aklim;1596974764]First off, it is NOT the year of Vette. It is the Multec injector that doesn't like anything besides gas. IOW, it is even going to be an issue in an F-body or a truck if they have that injector. As suggested, change the injectors like you did. Second if you really want to clean the injectors, use a service to do it or at the very least, take the injectors to some place with a flow bench so you can see what the spray pattern and volume is. Compare it to spec volume and you can see if it is flowing incorrectly or not. These snake oils are like cleaning a room blindfolded. At the end of the day, you don't really know what you have cleaned and how much is left to be cleaned.[/QUOTE]<br /><br />I would tend to agree with that position. I can't speak specifically to the Multec injectors but I do know that those types of injection in cleaning systems are improperly applied and thus cause problems. In the shop we use a pressurized system without the help of the on board fuel pump. In addition we follow manufacturer recommendations for both process and cleaning agents used. Those are a bit more involved than $39.99 lube shop variety and actually show some benefit in tests.<br />tests.<br />That being said most of the other are just what was stated...snake oil.<br /><br />Dan
Old 04-12-2018, 02:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 7 Devil's
I would tend to agree with that position. I can't speak specifically to the Multec injectors but I do know that those types of injection in cleaning systems are improperly applied and thus cause problems.

In the shop we use a pressurized system without the help of the on board fuel pump. In addition we follow manufacturer recommendations for both process and cleaning agents used. Those are a bit more involved than $39.99 lube shop variety and actually show some benefit in tests.<br />tests.<br />That being said most of the other are just what was stated...snake oil.<br /><br />Dan
I think when the injector was designed, it was done without ethanol in mind. Once it was past the point of no return, well, they continued it just like Ford did with the diode in the 4R100 trans, for example.

IDK. I have asked them before for laboratory tests and most I got was a sheet of testimonials. IIRC, someone mentioned Seafoam did the dog and pony show with 2 motors, one ran with Seafoam and the other without. Take it apart and show how clean the Seafoam one was vs the other one. Not really a laboratory test.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:19 PM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

I think when the injector was designed, it was done without ethanol in mind. Once it was past the point of no return, well, they continued it just like Ford did with the diode in the 4R100 trans, for example.

IDK. I have asked them before for laboratory tests and most I got was a sheet of testimonials. IIRC, someone mentioned Seafoam did the dog and pony show with 2 motors, one ran with Seafoam and the other without. Take it apart and show how clean the Seafoam one was vs the other one. Not really a laboratory test.
Most are dog and pony shows, true. In the case of manufacturer reccommendations, it's really more about them saying that chemical mixture won't harm the injector. It's easy to have an "independent" laboratory develop results for nearly any product.
i guess it comes down to preference and experience. The GM treatment I use I feel helps. I usually see a small increase in mileage and throttle realonse. The throttle response could be enitrely due to the the MAF cleaning that I do at the same time as a seppsese service. Just my thoughts.

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 will not stay running. Please help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1987 will not stay running. Please help