Alarm goes off. How do I disable it - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Alarm goes off. How do I disable it

Reply

 
 
 
Old 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM
  #1  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Alarm goes off. How do I disable it

I have disconnected the wires from the exterior door lock, I have installed a bypass for the starter interrupt relay, I have jumpered the wire for the Alarm module relay behind the center dash control panel...
What else can I do to disengage the thing
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 PM
  #2  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 1,110
Thanked 168 Times in 156 Posts
Default

What year?


If 84-89, unplug and remove (if desired) the alarm module. That'll do it.
If 90-96, I don't remember if it has a stand-alone "theft" module, I don't think it does. The alarm logic is within the CCM. I'd try connecting the lt grn disarm wire from the door lock to ground at all times. That should keep it from arming, but I've never tried it myself.
ihatebarkingdogs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 AM
  #3  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post
What year?


If 84-89, unplug and remove (if desired) the alarm module. That'll do it.
If 90-96, I don't remember if it has a stand-alone "theft" module, I don't think it does. The alarm logic is within the CCM. I'd try connecting the lt grn disarm wire from the door lock to ground at all times. That should keep it from arming, but I've never tried it myself.
it's a 89.. you are talking about the module behind the glove box area (that is IF there was a glove box)
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM
  #4  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 1,110
Thanked 168 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Yes, it is in the area above the passenger's feet.


Please double-check me on the association between the VATS and the Entry theft alarm. My recollection is hazy. I THINK the two systems are separate except the theft module (if triggered) tells the VATS module not to allow fueling/cranking. So if you remove the theft module, the VATS module will still enable fueling because you have the key bypassed, it is still present, and sending the required fuel-enable signal to the ECM.
ihatebarkingdogs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:32 PM
  #5  
checkur6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 460
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dozerman1 View Post
I have disconnected the wires from the exterior door lock, I have installed a bypass for the starter interrupt relay, I have jumpered the wire for the Alarm module relay behind the center dash control panel...
What else can I do to disengage the thing
Is a C7's alarm sensitivity adjustable?
checkur6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM
  #6  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post
What year?


If 84-89, unplug and remove (if desired) the alarm module. That'll do it.
If 90-96, I don't remember if it has a stand-alone "theft" module, I don't think it does. The alarm logic is within the CCM. I'd try connecting the lt grn disarm wire from the door lock to ground at all times. That should keep it from arming, but I've never tried it myself.
I unplugged that module and dthe car won't start. Even after the alarm went off, horn blowing, I unplugged it and it did nothing. Had to disconnect the battery to shut it up
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM
  #7  
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 667
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

The alarm system would be useless if it was easy to silence. The VATS system and alarm system are separate systems on the early c4's. The alarm is disabled by turning the door key on either side. The door key switch does not set the alarm but turning it to the unlocked position grounds a wire to the alarm system to disable it. Either door lock switch should silence the alarm. I had a bad switch on my passenger side for years, If I unlocked that door first and opened it the alarm would sound. Then I had to unlock the driver side with the key to silence it. When that switch failed I couldn't couldn't shut off my alarm. With the door panel off you can unplug the connector that goes to the switch and jumper the green and black wires together to silence the alarm. If you replace the door lock switches, be advised there is a left and right side. They look the same but will not work if reversed because they are opposite internally. Don't ask how I know that.
RWDsmoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:00 PM
  #8  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 1,110
Thanked 168 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dozerman1 View Post
I unplugged that module and dthe car won't start. Even after the alarm went off, horn blowing, I unplugged it and it did nothing. Had to disconnect the battery to shut it up
You unplugged the wrong module. You need to unplug the THEFT module. The theft module and system has nothing to do with starter or fuel disable in an 86-89. It only honks the horn if the door(s) or hatch is opened while set.


If the car won't start, and still honks the horn, you have unplugged the VATS module. Wrong one.
ihatebarkingdogs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 PM
  #9  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

[QUOTE=ihatebarkingdogs;1597059362]You unplugged the wrong module. You need to unplug the THEFT module. The theft module and system has nothing to do with starter or fuel disable in an 86-89. It only honks the horn if the door(s) or hatch is opened while set.


If the car won't start, and still honks the horn, you have unplugged the VATS module. Wrong one.[/Q
Please tell me exactly where theis module is located.
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:10 PM
  #10  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke View Post
The alarm system would be useless if it was easy to silence. The VATS system and alarm system are separate systems on the early c4's. The alarm is disabled by turning the door key on either side. The door key switch does not set the alarm but turning it to the unlocked position grounds a wire to the alarm system to disable it. Either door lock switch should silence the alarm. I had a bad switch on my passenger side for years, If I unlocked that door first and opened it the alarm would sound. Then I had to unlock the driver side with the key to silence it. When that switch failed I couldn't couldn't shut off my alarm. With the door panel off you can unplug the connector that goes to the switch and jumper the green and black wires together to silence the alarm. If you replace the door lock switches, be advised there is a left and right side. They look the same but will not work if reversed because they are opposite internally. Don't ask how I know that.
With the engine running I opened the door and the alarm went off. I shut the engine down and then used the key to try and shut the horn off... It didn't work.. I had to disconnect the d...m battery, again....So now what?
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM
  #11  
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 667
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Did you try the door key in both doors? Even if they are unlocked it still takes the key to silence the alarm. I think the fuse for the alarm in in the auxiliary fuse panel behind the radio bezel but that also disables normal function of the horn.
RWDsmoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 PM
  #12  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke View Post
The alarm system would be useless if it was easy to silence. The VATS system and alarm system are separate systems on the early c4's. The alarm is disabled by turning the door key on either side. The door key switch does not set the alarm but turning it to the unlocked position grounds a wire to the alarm system to disable it. Either door lock switch should silence the alarm. I had a bad switch on my passenger side for years, If I unlocked that door first and opened it the alarm would sound. Then I had to unlock the driver side with the key to silence it. When that switch failed I couldn't couldn't shut off my alarm. With the door panel off you can unplug the connector that goes to the switch and jumper the green and black wires together to silence the alarm. If you replace the door lock switches, be advised there is a left and right side. They look the same but will not work if reversed because they are opposite internally. Don't ask how I know that.
When you say door lock switch, do you mean the button switch in the door jam at the rear of the door. It has a gray and also a black wire....
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM
  #13  
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 667
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dozerman1 View Post
When you say door lock switch, do you mean the button switch in the door jam at the rear of the door. It has a gray and also a black wire....
I believe "door lock cylinder switch" is the correct term. I incorrectly called it a door lock switch. I apologize for adding to the confusion. The switch I'm referring to is mounted inside the door on the back of the exterior door lock cylinder. The wires are light green and black. When you insert your door key from outside the car and turn it, it unlocks the door and disables the alarm.

While working on the system it helps to open the hood and unplug the wires to the horns. Then you can hook the battery cable back without all the annoying noise. You will still hear the horn relay clicking behind the center of the dash so if it stops clicking you have the alarm off. There is a connector behind the door panel that should be easy to reach with the panel off. If you use a piece of wire or other conductor to momentarily connect the two wires (light green and black, the side going towards the front of the door) it should send the signal to disable the alarm.

Last edited by RWDsmoke; 04-23-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: I left out a step.
RWDsmoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 PM
  #14  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke View Post
I believe "door lock cylinder switch" is the correct term. I incorrectly called it a door lock switch. I apologize for adding to the confusion. The switch I'm referring to is mounted inside the door on the back of the exterior door lock cylinder. The wires are light green and black. When you insert your door key from outside the car and turn it, it unlocks the door and disables the alarm.

While working on the system it helps to open the hood and unplug the wires to the horns. Then you can hook the battery cable back without all the annoying noise. You will still hear the horn relay clicking behind the center of the dash so if it stops clicking you have the alarm off. There is a connector behind the door panel that should be easy to reach with the panel off. If you use a piece of wire or other conductor to momentarily connect the two wires (light green and black, the side going towards the front of the door) it should send the signal to disable the alarm.
That clears the air. However, do you have any idea what the switch I was talking about does.. It's not the one for the interior lights, that one is the fender well and is actuated by opening the door. I checked....
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 PM
  #15  
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 667
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dozerman1 View Post
That clears the air. However, do you have any idea what the switch I was talking about does.. It's not the one for the interior lights, that one is the fender well and is actuated by opening the door. I checked....
That is the switch that turns on the "door ajar" light.
RWDsmoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 PM
  #16  
dozerman1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Sheridan Texas
Posts: 41
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke View Post
That is the switch that turns on the "door ajar" light.
Got it..Thanks!
dozerman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 AM
  #17  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 1,110
Thanked 168 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Both modules are up above the RH hush panel. In the picture they are both close to each other. The VATS module looks like it has a bracket that is mounted to the dash structure with nuts on studs. The ALARM module looks like it slips into a spring-thingy bracket. The picture isn't super clear, and I don't recall exactly where the modules are. It's been 25 years since I had the dash apart in my 88 which had both modules.
ihatebarkingdogs is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alarm goes off. How do I disable it


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: