C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 DeWitt radiator install ????

Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 92 LT1 DeWitt radiator install ????

Well it happened, my OEM radiator failed. I bought a new DeWitt "direct fit" radiator and it arrived last Thurs (3 days ago). I was watching a guy on youtube put one in his 92 (automatic, mine is a 6 speed) and his radiator came with spacers to increase the distance from the fans to the thicker radiator. Mine didn't come with those spacers. Before I start this project, does anyone know if I need those spacers? Hopefully, I don't, as there ain't much room in there because of the AC dryer (canister) that is mounted on the back of the radiator housing. Maybe Summit didn't package them in there. Anyone do this recently?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 11:56 AM
93Blackrose
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes you need them. (1 spacer for the top, 1 for the bottom)

Originally Posted by Strick
Well it happened, my OEM radiator failed. I bought a new DeWitt "direct fit" radiator and it arrived last Thurs (3 days ago). I was watching a guy on youtube put one in his 92 (automatic, mine is a 6 speed) and his radiator came with spacers to increase the distance from the fans to the thicker radiator. Mine didn't come with those spacers. Before I start this project, does anyone know if I need those spacers? Hopefully, I don't, as there ain't much room in there because of the AC dryer (canister) that is mounted on the back of the radiator housing. Maybe Summit didn't package them in there. Anyone do this recently?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 11:59 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

First order of business is to call DeWitts and ask them if there should have been spacers, I would think.

DeWitts states the radiators are the same, except with or without transmission cooler.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:22 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,271 Likes on 859 Posts

Thanks
Summit has nothing to do with the packaging of the rad or the contents. Dewitt does that.

Which rad did you get? The single row or double row?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:55 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My DeWitt double row came with the spacers. There is enough room for the AC dryer with the new radiator.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Strick
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Summit has nothing to do with the packaging of the rad or the contents. Dewitt does that.

Which rad did you get? The single row or double row?
Double row. 1139090M Also the packaging didn't seem complete as there was only 3 styrofoam corners that secure the radiator in the box. No instructions and a baggie of used bolts and screws. I wonder if this was sent to another customer and they returned it missing the spacers? Hummmm. We'll find out Monday.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:42 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,271 Likes on 859 Posts

Double row. 1139090M Also the packaging didn't seem complete as there was only 3 styrofoam corners that secure the radiator in the box. No instructions and a baggie of used bolts and screws. I wonder if this was sent to another customer and they returned it missing the spacers? Hummmm. We'll find out Monday.
Sounds like you may have gotten a return. Here is how mine came packaged. I will say, I was much more pleased with the way my Ron Davis Radiators have been packaged in the past.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:19 PM
drcook
Safety Car

It should have been marked as an open box return unless someone pulled a fast one on Summit. They are open today and have customer service reps available.

I would call them and ask what the deal is also.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 561 Posts

I just put the single row in my 96. The single row uses the same side tanks as the double row. I was shipped the spacers. I called to ask if it was a mistake and they said I DID need them. I used them. It was not as simple of an install as I expected. On the bottom there are a piece of aluminum that fits next to the rubber mounts. There is a grand total of 1/16" clearance so it was hard to get lined up. When I finally got in in the only exact spot it could go and the drain was perfectly centered in the plastic cutout for it the top left radiator tube was tight to the plastic shroud. I could not get the radiator hose on without carving some shroud away. Would have been a way easier install if a little more clearance was given with the mounts and the tube welded in 1/4" more to the left.
The following users liked this post:
Strick (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

I agree with the statement 'sounds like a return". It should have had the two plastic spacer bars and instruction sheet. Call John tomorrow and he can ship you out a set. Below is the tech sheet on that They are now using a foam machine and the package is ups proof.

Tech sheet

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 04-08-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Strick (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I agree with the statement 'sounds like a return". It should have had the two plastic spacer bars and instruction sheet. Call John tomorrow and he can ship you out a set. Below is the tech sheet on that They are now using a foam machine and the package is ups proof.

Tech sheet
I agree. Mine was packed way different. As Tom said they have a foam machine that locks the radiator into the box and it can not move. There is a large foam molded holder in all four corners.
GRKLGHTNG (04-15-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Strick
Race Director

Hi Tom, I went back and really looked though the packing material and found the plastic spacers. Don't I feel stupid. But, thank you for the instruction sheet. I'll call Summit and see if I can stop the request for the spacers. The spacers I got were plastic, not aluminum. Thank you so much for your help. BTW, the radiator is a piece of art. It's a shame the shroud covers it up.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Strick
Race Director

This might be the first DeWitt install on a C4 with an electric water pump and a camber brace. I hope there is room.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I put the single core unit in a few years ago and with the spal fans. Went over to Dewitts and showed them a problem with holes not drilled in proper place and John fixed that and the the a/c canister holes so it wouldn't hit fan. Also they made a bushing for the upper hose bracket to be used .
Great unit and service from John.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Strick
Race Director

This is the hardest job I've been exposed to on my Vette. Getting the condenser and radiator to stay in the bottom rubber support grommets while putting on the upper shroud has me puzzled. Any suggestions? The trimming of the upper mounting rubber supports detailed in the instructions is right on. Getting at the 6 screws (3 on each side) is also kicking my butt, however, I first have to get the upper shroud on with the radiator and condenser in place. The Factory Service manual made it look so simple.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:00 PM
drcook
Safety Car

This might be the first DeWitt install on a C4 with an electric water pump and a camber brace. I hope there is room.
only AND an electric water pump. I have the 2 row in my car with a camber brace

Getting at the 6 screws (3 on each side) is also kicking my butt, however,
to get them out the first time is a pain. you have to remove parts to get down in there and get room to get wrenches/sockets/extensions in

when I did mine, one of the forum members made a statement that triggered a "well duh" moment for me.

When putting it back together run the bolts in from the other side. that way you are putting the nuts on from an open area. once you look at it from that perspective, all you can say is "well duh" why didn't they do it that way from the beginning.

here you can see the spacer and the camber brace

Last edited by drcook; 04-10-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Strick
Race Director

I got it in and there was room. Good thought on putting the 6 bolts in from the other side, but I managed (a 1/16th of a turn a time).

One minor thing caused a little problem. The screws DeWitt gave to replace the shorter ones had a different thread that didn't work well with the slip nuts. I found some finer threaded screws that worked with the original slip nuts, but I broke one slip nut and it took out a little of the upper housing shroud where the slip nut slides on. Got it fixed, but Tom if you are watching, on my 92, my threads are much finer than the threads you have in the packaging. Otherwise, I think I'm just about finished. One last note, it took 2 people to set the upper shroud so the rubber mounts line up. Now to find some GM spring clamps for my new hoses.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 DeWitt radiator install ????

Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 PM
drcook
Safety Car

but I managed (a 1/16th of a turn a time).
yeah, me too. it was an after the fact duh moment
Old 04-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I got it in and there was room. Good thought on putting the 6 bolts in from the other side, but I managed (a 1/16th of a turn a time).

One minor thing caused a little problem. The screws DeWitt gave to replace the shorter ones had a different thread that didn't work well with the slip nuts. I found some finer threaded screws that worked with the original slip nuts, but I broke one slip nut and it took out a little of the upper housing shroud where the slip nut slides on. Got it fixed, but Tom if you are watching, on my 92, my threads are much finer than the threads you have in the packaging. Otherwise, I think I'm just about finished. One last note, it took 2 people to set the upper shroud so the rubber mounts line up. Now to find some GM spring clamps for my new hoses.
I agree the threads were different on my 96 also. When done how much clearance did you have between the top driver side radiator hose connector to the plastic shroud? Were you able to get the hose on easily?
Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I have a top radiator clamp that came on my 96 with a date code of 1-96 if you want it. PM me if you do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 LT1 DeWitt radiator install ????