C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Snap Rings vs Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:43 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Snap Rings vs Heater Core

Okay, guys and gals, I'm getting down to the wire on my '91 rebuild; however, two of the toughest jobs have yet to be done. They are (1) remove the snap rings in the differential without a $30 pair of specialty pliers I'll only need one time, and (2) remove and replace the heater core, which I'll need some of the time. Here's where I presently stand--the differential is sitting on my workbench with the batwing removed, and inside the car the interior has been totally removed, including carpeting. Which project would you tackle first, the snap rings or the core? I'm curious if there's any justification for doing one before the other. Maintaining my sanity is a given!

SnorT91Man

Last edited by SnorT91Man; 04-22-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
Okay, guys and gals, I'm getting down to the wire on my '91 rebuild; however, two of the toughest jobs have yet to be done. They are (1) remove the snap rings in the differential without a $30 pair of specialty pliers I'll only need one time, and (2) remove and replace the heater core, which I'll need some of the time. Here's where I presently stand--the differential is sitting on my workbench with the batwing removed, and inside the car the interior has been totally removed, including carpeting. Which project would you tackle first, the snap rings or the core? I'm curious if there's any justification for doing one before the other. Maintaining my sanity is a given!

SnorT91Man
I would go with the Heater Core, Get the most Frustrating thing out of the way. The rear you said it is sitting on the bench that you can deal with a cold drink next to you and work on in Peace as the weather gets warmer. As for the Snap Ring Pliers check and see if the local Parts store has a Loan a Tool, or just buy it you may say I won't need it but you may or a Friends might.

It's better to Have the right tool than to Loose your mind and Knuckles.

Last edited by s carter; 04-22-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:42 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Can't speak to the heater core (knock on wood), but you'll need a good pair of snap ring pliers with short 90 degree tips for the diff. No getting around it. If not for removal, definitely for assembly.

Get notified of new replies

To Snap Rings vs Heater Core

Quick Reply: Snap Rings vs Heater Core