C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any good write ups on how to remove a C4 door? Yes...the whole door!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Any good write ups on how to remove a C4 door? Yes...the whole door!

Can't find anything on this one. Everything I find just deals with the skins or panels. Anyone know where there's a write up to take the whole door off of a C4? Or, anyone done it and have advice? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
Can't find anything on this one. Everything I find just deals with the skins or panels. Anyone know where there's a write up to take the whole door off of a C4? Or, anyone done it and have advice? Thanks!
I believe the bolts holding the door hinges holding the doors on are 10mm and there are six in all. The lower fender panel will have to come off to get to the lower hinge bolts. Try to get a pencil outline of the hinge to door surfaces before loosening anything. It'll help on alignment once the door is back on.

Interior panel will have to come off so you can disconnect all the wiring from everything in the door. You can kneel by the car and gently use a knee as a support while taking the hing bolts out. Once they are all out, pull the door handle open so you can take the door off. When you put it back on, push the door gently closed with the window all the way up to make sure it lands where it's supposed to against the windshield, targa, and halo weatherstripping. You also want to make sure opening and closing the door won't rub against your fender panel or hood.

Had mine off to redo the hinge bushings, just a quick recap of how I did it.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

When I was painting my car I made a jig for my floor jack which made it easy to do by myself.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:26 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I believe the bolts holding the door hinges holding the doors on are 10mm and there are six in all. The lower fender panel will have to come off to get to the lower hinge bolts. Try to get a pencil outline of the hinge to door surfaces before loosening anything. It'll help on alignment once the door is back on.

Interior panel will have to come off so you can disconnect all the wiring from everything in the door. You can kneel by the car and gently use a knee as a support while taking the hing bolts out. Once they are all out, pull the door handle open so you can take the door off. When you put it back on, push the door gently closed with the window all the way up to make sure it lands where it's supposed to against the windshield, targa, and halo weatherstripping. You also want to make sure opening and closing the door won't rub against your fender panel or hood.

Had mine off to redo the hinge bushings, just a quick recap of how I did it.
Thanks! I kinda gave up, and found some generic GM door removal videos, taking out the hinge pins, but I think I might like yours better for what I am doing. Always helps to have 'vette specific guides to go by. Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:27 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
When I was painting my car I made a jig for my floor jack which made it easy to do by myself.
That's awesome. I might be needing to do something like that too!

Get notified of new replies

To Any good write ups on how to remove a C4 door? Yes...the whole door!

Quick Reply: Any good write ups on how to remove a C4 door? Yes...the whole door!