C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optidoctor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Optidoctor

As I have said in a few posts I am very very happy with the rebuilt opti I got from the optidoctor (Brad). It seems very well put together and well tested. My car runs better than ever. I know he posts on here and would like him to chime in on a few questions:
1. What does he do when he "Rebuilds"
2. When he rebuilds a non ventilated opti does he automatically update it to ventilated along with install directions.
3. How confidant is he that if he tests a used Mist. sensor that it will keep working.
4. What does he use to seal the case.
5. Does he offer a service to just TEST an opti.
6. Can he post pictures so the talented on here can rebuild their own.
7. Does he always replace the bearing or just check it.
8. Does he sell parts to rebuild your own.

I am going to send him an email to see if he will reply. I hope he does. Dan

Popular Reply

04-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Optidoctor
Cruising

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I am happy to share some of my Optispark experience. It is a nice side business that I am hoping to slowly grow. I believe the key is accumulating Mitsubishi sensors for the future.
1. I disassemble and clean everything. Remove corrosion. Replace the bearing. Re-assemble with Loctite and sealer. Add ventilation capability to the older Optispark base plate (assuming the owner wants to add ventilation). Install MSD's rotor, cap and center section. Test it and make a video to show that it works.
2. I am happy to add ventilation to any of the 1st generation Optispark's that I sell. I do it for no additional cost. I think it is really important! Some do not want to modify the design and prefer to keep it as is. I respect their thinking, but as some one who has taken apart countless cores, you want ventilation.
3. The key is keeping the sensor dry and clean. Sealing and ventilation determine the length of time that the sensor is going to see the disk clearly.
4. It's a high temperature sealing product that is used in the petroleum industry. I researched the sealer for a long time. I did not want to use a silicone based sealant.
5. Yes, I have done this several times. It is very easy to do. I charge $40 typically, less if there is an interesting story associated with the need to test it.
6. I'm a DIY guy and i'm all for helping people out, but this is a bad idea. You will probably only need to do this one or two times in your life. Getting all the parts together and finding a method to press in a bearing without losing the timing is just too much trouble.
7. I almost always replace the bearing. Occasionally, I will get one that is like new and I will re-use it. My LT-1 has an ACDelco unit in it that I refurbished. It was only 8 months old when it died, so I re-used the bearing.
8. I have never been asked. I think it would appeal to very few people. These few people would be excellent help if you ever find yourself shipwrecked on an uninhabited island.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:37 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

6. Can he post pictures so the talented on here can rebuild their own.
now why would he do that and kill his cash cow ? he has made himself a side niche business, not real high volume but enough to supplement some bad habits, posting the how-to's would just throw away pieces of his investment in time, research, tools if any.

Last edited by drcook; 04-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GRKLGHTNG (07-15-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drcook
now why would he do that and kill his cash cow ? he has made himself a side niche business, not real high volume but enough to supplement some bad habits, posting the how-to's would just throw away pieces of his investment in time, research, tools if any.
Because the % of people that really want to do that is not huge. Also when you add up the retail price of the MSD cap and rotor and a new bearing plus new hoses, filter, check valve and sealant the $280.00 does not sound so high. Also, if you rebuild your own (which if I had the parts I would try) you can't test it. Not a giant thing for me as I am retired and if I have to take it all apart it is not a giant thing just a pain. The base looks pretty all beadblasted (I know you can't really see it). Also, he might want to start wholesaling bearings, caps and rotors and sealant. Who knows. I will be interested if he posts. Thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Brad became a MSD supplier so he could get the parts at a reasonable amount. But to wholesale them ? He would get caught up in that MSRP thing. Plus, given his volume, he would not be able to compete with Summit Racing. Especially once you add in their perks, Summit Bucks, $20.00 off a $100.00 mailers.

You know his cost is not going to be what Summit's cost is, given the huge amounts of merchandise they sell. Plus they will price match, ANYONE's that has them in stock.

It is like having the ZF-Doc post up detailed directions with pictures on how to rebuild a ZF transmission.

It is bad business to give away your practices and procedures for free.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcook:
GRKLGHTNG (07-15-2018), Whaleman (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

It is like having the ZF-Doc post up detailed directions with pictures on how to rebuild a ZF transmission.

It is bad business to give away your practices and procedures for free.

100%
Old 04-24-2018, 03:03 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I wasn't sure about the MSD cap as some on here have voiced there concern. So I asked Brad about the MSD, here is his reply:

The MSD caps are really nice. They seal well because of MSD's O-ring design, look great and are very robust. The polymer that surrounds the high voltage terminals and wire traces in the face of the cap is custom made from DuPont for this application. It insulates completely and does not break down with time. The MSD rotor is superior to any other. The conductor is brass and the base is very robust. MSD uses more than 2X the material used in an OEM rotor. MSD has also offered me a nice discount for buying in bulk.
The following 4 users liked this post by vette196:
GRKLGHTNG (07-15-2018), pbellone (05-05-2019), RalfKramden (05-02-2018), Whaleman (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 04:05 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Well, it appears (as is the usual case) that many people know way more about this than me. I love this forum as there are so many people who know so much and are willing to take the time to share. Thank you all very much!!! Dan
Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I see the cap and rotor on Summit is $163.95. Dan
Old 04-24-2018, 05:31 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Is he using used mitsubishi optical sensors?

or did he somehow find a source for new ones?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

From reading his ads on ebay he does have a source for NEW Mitsubishi sensors for the early spline drive but must use tested used units for 95-96. If he does come on I will let him correct this if I am wrong. Dan

Last edited by Whaleman; 04-24-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Well, it appears (as is the usual case) that many people know way more about this than me. I love this forum as there are so many people who know so much and are willing to take the time to share. Thank you all very much!!! Dan
If you found out a way to help pay for your Vette parts and also do a service to fellow car buffs at the same time, would you give it away for free ? I doubt that. Plus you can figure out he is not making a killing. He has to buy opti's from junkyards to have some on stock. Then buy the components, even if MSD gives him a discount, it still won't be at the level Summit or Jegs gets due to carrying all of MSD's components, not just the parts needed to fix Opti-sparks. Add in the cost of the packaging (he packages very well), the time to make a video for his customers to share their Opti functioning and he doesn't make a killing on us.

Most everything you said in the first post made reasonable sense except about him giving away his techniques and such.

The only disagreement was in hoping he would give it away free.

Last edited by drcook; 04-24-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

If you found out a way to help pay for your Vette parts and also do a service to fellow car buffs at the same time, would you give it away for free ? I doubt that. Plus you can figure out he is not making a killing. He has to buy opti's from junkyards to have some on stock. Then buy the components, even if MSD gives him a discount, it still won't be at the level Summit or Jegs gets due to carrying all of MSD's components, not just the parts needed to fix Opti-sparks. Add in the cost of the packaging (he packages very well), the time to make a video for his customers to share their Opti functioning and he doesn't make a killing on us.

Most everything you said in the first post made reasonable sense except about him giving away his techniques and such.

The only disagreement was in hoping he would give it away free.
I can't disagree with anything you said!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Optidoctor
Cruising

I am happy to share some of my Optispark experience. It is a nice side business that I am hoping to slowly grow. I believe the key is accumulating Mitsubishi sensors for the future.
1. I disassemble and clean everything. Remove corrosion. Replace the bearing. Re-assemble with Loctite and sealer. Add ventilation capability to the older Optispark base plate (assuming the owner wants to add ventilation). Install MSD's rotor, cap and center section. Test it and make a video to show that it works.
2. I am happy to add ventilation to any of the 1st generation Optispark's that I sell. I do it for no additional cost. I think it is really important! Some do not want to modify the design and prefer to keep it as is. I respect their thinking, but as some one who has taken apart countless cores, you want ventilation.
3. The key is keeping the sensor dry and clean. Sealing and ventilation determine the length of time that the sensor is going to see the disk clearly.
4. It's a high temperature sealing product that is used in the petroleum industry. I researched the sealer for a long time. I did not want to use a silicone based sealant.
5. Yes, I have done this several times. It is very easy to do. I charge $40 typically, less if there is an interesting story associated with the need to test it.
6. I'm a DIY guy and i'm all for helping people out, but this is a bad idea. You will probably only need to do this one or two times in your life. Getting all the parts together and finding a method to press in a bearing without losing the timing is just too much trouble.
7. I almost always replace the bearing. Occasionally, I will get one that is like new and I will re-use it. My LT-1 has an ACDelco unit in it that I refurbished. It was only 8 months old when it died, so I re-used the bearing.
8. I have never been asked. I think it would appeal to very few people. These few people would be excellent help if you ever find yourself shipwrecked on an uninhabited island.
The following 6 users liked this post by Optidoctor:
BBNJKen (04-27-2018), cardo0 (07-16-2018), GRKLGHTNG (07-15-2018), pbellone (05-05-2019), Red 91 (04-27-2018), Whaleman (04-24-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Thank you very much for responding! I appreciate it. Dan
Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Optidoctor
Cruising

Default Mitsubishi sensors

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

Im always on the hunt for Mitsubishi sensors. I drove up to GM country and purchased several boxes of unused Mitsubishi sensors for the Optispark I. It was a great find. I have not had any similar luck with Optispark II sensors. All of my Optispark II sensors are cleaned and tested, re-used sensors. It is clear to me that Mitsubishi stopped making new sensors long ago. I try to purchase used OEM or AC Delco rebuilds for $70 each in an effort to accumulate Mitsubishi sensors. It appears that some of the AC Delco rebuilds don’t have Mitsubishi sensors, so I take a loss some of the time.
cardo0 (07-16-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Have you ever seen a 2 where the unit was dry and clean and the sensor just failed internally?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Optidoctor
Cruising

Default mitsubishi sensors never die

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Have you ever seen a 2 where the unit was dry and clean and the sensor just failed internally?
Not yet. They all work after careful cleaning so far. I have seen a few of the Optispark I Mitsubishi sensors that I couldn't bring back with cleaning.
cardo0 (07-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Optidoctor

Old 04-26-2018, 09:21 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Optidoctor
Thank you for giving me a little more understanding about the opti spark,and when jesus calls my opti home I will order 1 from you. I do enjoy supporting members,who keep our dreams alive.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Here is a potentially silly question but my 94 is getting ready to turn 60k miles and is bone stock. Car runs perfect so should I leave well enough alone or consider removing and cleaning my original Opti and adding ventilation?
Old 05-02-2018, 12:32 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo Vert
Here is a potentially silly question but my 94 is getting ready to turn 60k miles and is bone stock. Car runs perfect so should I leave well enough alone or consider removing and cleaning my original Opti and adding ventilation?
Leave it alone. If it ever craps out on you, THEN you should add ventilation. If you want to want to buy a good one (especially an Optidoctor one) to keep on the shelf as a contingency, that would make sense. But there is absolutely no credible reason to fix what isn't broken when the OE part is still working.
Polo Vert (05-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Optidoctor