C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Horrible Static/Screeching Coming Through C4 Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM
DefinitelyMiami
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horrible Static/Screeching Coming Through C4 Speakers

Hey All,

Took delivery of my first (!) Corvette (a 1990 C4) a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a blast already. I have the FSM, but wanted to get your opinion on something:

When I bought the car, it had a cheap JVC radio in it, and the speakers had all been recently replaced. The sound quality was very good, but the guy I bought it from had the factory radio and had included it in the purchase. I LOVE the look of the dash and the climate controls on the '90, so putting the factory radio back in was a no-brainer. The only problem is, now that the factory radio is back in, there is HORRIBLE static/screeching coming through the rear passenger speaker, no matter if I'm listening to the radio or cassette player, and no matter what level the volume is. I thought perhaps it was just the speaker, so I disconnected it- and now it just comes through the front passenger speaker!

Someone mentioned that the radio might need its contacts cleaned- is that right? I'd just hate to disassemble the dash again if that isn't the problem. Should I clean the contacts? Just listen to the sweet sound of the engine? Buy that JEG'S retro-fit 1.5 DIN GM-Lookalike radio and call it a day?

Help!

(Thanks)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Was it a Delco Bose unit? They are different from standard. I suspect he might have reused the original speakers or put some dongle to make it work. The Bose speakers are unique and work with the head unit. You cannot play "Mix and Match". I'd go all Bose or all aftermarket. I went with aftermarket and had new wires put in place, reused the non-Bose speaker enclosure and replaced with aftermarket speakers. Put the Bose crap into the trash can.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM
DefinitelyMiami
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
Was it a Delco Bose unit? They are different from standard. I suspect he might have reused the original speakers or put some dongle to make it work. The Bose speakers are unique and work with the head unit. You cannot play "Mix and Match". I'd go all Bose or all aftermarket. I went with aftermarket and had new wires put in place, reused the non-Bose speaker enclosure and replaced with aftermarket speakers. Put the Bose crap into the trash can.
It was definitely a Delco unit, but I don't see Bose anywhere? I made the same decision- just pulled the trigger on this and can't wait to get it in there. Should be in on Tuesday.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DefinitelyMiami
It was definitely a Delco unit, but I don't see Bose anywhere? I made the same decision- just pulled the trigger on this and can't wait to get it in there. Should be in on Tuesday.

Thanks for the reply!

See on the cassette tape door where it says Delco Bose Gold Series?
Old 04-27-2018, 03:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Thanks for the reply!
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Al...&price=250-350

250 to 350 price range. Won't have the old look but
Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
I don't know if you care but that's an 84-89 1.5 din replacement. 90-96 is double din so you will have to fill the empty space with something and figure out a way to mount it.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:23 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know what it is wrong to guide you anywhere useful.

That said, that stereo is a pile. I had gone through 2 head units, repaired speaker amps, swapped amps, it is a never ending battle.

The look? Ehh... I get it, but is it all that a big deal?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 AM
DefinitelyMiami
Heel & Toe

I went ahead and bought the Retrosound Newport.

It wasn't a Delco Bose system (it was just the Delco Cassette Player in there) but I took everyone's advice and just axed the factory head unit. There are already Boston Acoustics speakers in there, and all aftermarket seemed the way to go. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM
DefinitelyMiami
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bosshog8
I don't know if you care but that's an 84-89 1.5 din replacement. 90-96 is double din so you will have to fill the empty space with something and figure out a way to mount it.

HOW did I miss that?

*Sigh*

Anyone have any ideas on how to convert a 1.5 DIN radio to fit a 2 DIN spot...?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:11 PM
DefinitelyMiami
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bosshog8

Looks like the kit comes with a piece to fit underneath it so it fits a double DIN? Or am I mistaken?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Looks like the kit comes with a piece to fit underneath it so it fits a double DIN? Or am I mistaken?
IDK. Is 1.5 that popular? That looks kinda cheesy but you might have to live with it. I'd get 2 kits just in case you break one while installing it. Looks like it would work to fit a 1.5 din into a 2 din hole. Any way you can dump it for something easier to install? IF THIS can work, you can have a usable cubby hole.

Last edited by aklim; 05-01-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Horrible Static/Screeching Coming Through C4 Speakers

Quick Reply: Horrible Static/Screeching Coming Through C4 Speakers