C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Eckler's DMF to SMF kit? Or other FW combo? 1989

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:43 AM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Eckler's DMF to SMF kit? Or other FW combo? 1989

Well, I thought I could squeeze by with the slowly failing original DMF. After a weekend of cruising and spirited (not *******) driving, the thing just rattles and slips in any gear above 3k unless you punch it. Sitting at a stop light, the box of rocks is incredibly audible. Summer is coming up so it's time to get this settled before the good weather gets here. Car is an 89 ZF6

Eckler's has the complete DMF to SMF kit on their site for $419. Seems like a great value, but was curious if anyone has used this kit and had some feedback? The SMF in the kit is 42lbs, seems pretty heavy. I already feel like I could make a cup of coffee between shifts waiting for revs to drop sometimes. But I understand this is as close to a stock DMF as we can get in terms of weight and feel.

Most of the big box auto stores sell a 30lb Hayes SMF anywhere between $265-330. 30lb sorta seems like a nice middle ground between the 42lb and a lightweight aluminum 13lb wheel. Dampened complete clutch and pressure plate kits are like $280 and are suppose to bolt right up to a SMF setup. Anyone running something like this? For a car thats going to do 95% fun street driving, maybe a few autocross days, I think an aluminum 13lb is going to be overkill

As always, I appreciate your opinions and feedback. Your input has been invaluable to this first time Vette owner

Last edited by JasBass; 05-01-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

The clutch kits can be from quite a few sources. It is really pretty simple. If you have the dual mass flywheel (that has springs) then you need a disc that does not. If you have a single mass (without springs) then you need a disk that has them (I think it is an f-body disc.) The pressure plate, throw out bearing, & pilot bearing are the same which ever flywheel is used. The throw out bearing is a different ID size based on what year transmission ('89-'93 or '94-'96)

The one piece flywheels may increase the "box of rocks" sound. Generally the heavier the flywheel is it will help to reduce the noise. There may be other things that can be done to reduce the transmission noise also. ZFdoc states that the shimming of the countershaft in the transmission to reduce clearance will reduce the noise and that it may not be difficult to do. I have not tried shimming though.

The driveability of the different weight flywheels will be different. The heavier the flywheel the easier to start from a stop, but it will not rev as quickly.

The flywheel weight is something you need to decide based on your preferences. There are opinions for the lightest and for the heaviest.

I have not tried the light flywheels, but I did have the heavy SPEC flywheel. I did not notice the transmission noise with it. Mine was bad though since it was about 20 grams out of balance and caused a vibration at 3000 rpm and higher. I went back to a dual mass.

I think your idea of a "nice middle ground" is a good choice. It should still retain most of the easy to drive feel and most of the heavier noise reduction, while allowing a little easier revs.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I don't know that Eckler's is a good value or not. If Eckler's divulged the vendor then 'maybe'.

A SMF and clutch I'd maybe pay more but do it directly from a vendor or have the conversation with the vendor and let them send you to a 'preferred' reseller. Base your 'weight' choice on those that have done the conversion.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:29 AM
JasBass
Racer

Any opinions on Hayes and their products? I'm starting to sound old, but I have some rewards and a discount and I can get their billet steel 30lb external balance FW with 153 tooth ring gear for $250. SMF conversion clutch disk, pressure plate and ancillary hardware is like $280-$330 for a complete kit depending on brand. Being $600 in for the parts and labor for this will be just shy of a grand (just didn't feel like fighting the trans on my back in my driveway...) seems on par from what i've seen in other posts. Most other members were quoted 2k-2500 for their complete job. Anything i'm bluntly missing in this? I made sure the kits have a new TO and pilot bearing
Old 05-15-2018, 05:29 PM
JasBass
Racer

Just for info sake, the FW in the complete kit turned out to be 23# not 42#. Excited to see how this turns out

Get notified of new replies

To Eckler's DMF to SMF kit? Or other FW combo? 1989

Quick Reply: Eckler's DMF to SMF kit? Or other FW combo? 1989