C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 inlet/exhaust valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 AM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 84 inlet/exhaust valve stem seals

So my '84 has 120k on it and a substantial puff of smoke on startup (but not while running as best I can tell) and is a little leaky around the valve cover gasket, so I'd like to kill two birds at once and replace the stem seals and gasket all together. I've found some very helpful posts on this procedure (thanks CF!) and am planning to go with Fel-Pro parts.

My question is for the stem seals, I saw some people talking about using intake seals for both the exhaust and inlet seals, but this was typically referring to later C4's. Is this something worth doing? If not, I see Fel-Pro offers regular and high-temp exhaust seals. Is there any benefit of using the high-temp on a standard 84 that just gets the occasional spirited driving, not a track car?
Thanks,
Reed
Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The exhaust valve stems get hot even on putter. The standard self retaining seals at guide. Along with the small "O" ring the fits in groove below keepers should be enough.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:43 PM
bnnnboy
Advanced

So just go ahead and get the high temp exhaust seals? Makes sense.
Thanks,
Reed
Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

pretty much can't go wrong with felpro for anything. I've installed felpro's on my 85, in fact, several SBC's over the years - never an issues. for intake, p/n SS72527 and for the exhaust, p/n SS72877 (hi-temp) or SS72526, standard replacement. for the couple dollars difference in price, go with the hi-temp exhaust. purchase local or on-line, your choice.

Last edited by Joe C; 05-05-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:37 PM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Just a quick update: got the stem seals and valve cover gaskets replaced. The stem seals definitely needed replacement, some were barely present any more. After re-assembing the engine, the smoke at startup was gone and the engine oil leaks from the valve cover seem to be stopped.
Thanks for the help!
Reed

Get notified of new replies

To 84 inlet/exhaust valve stem seals

Quick Reply: 84 inlet/exhaust valve stem seals