C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
If you want to put the vortec heads on an lt1 it possible but not inexpensive. The L31 heads are not better than the aluminum LT1 heads , neither is the iron version. GMPP will offers better versions of the vortec already drilled for standard sbc intake. Of course this is speculative right? Since your build is several years in the future.
Yes, this build is in the future as I am attending college to try to earn the degrees necessary for a new career. I love my F-body and the lower tech features it has. What fun is it to have a sports car that you can't shift from the floor? Paddle shifting is a joke to me, it might be great for European track racing but I prefer the old floor shifting standard. I love the sound of my LT1 and I love the T-56 transmission.

Yes I am aware of the GMPP and their fast burn heads, although I read that it is best to stick with stock L31 Vortec heads. The Fast Burns, from what I read, use the old swirl combustion chamber technology where as the L31 Vortec heads use the tumble heart shaped combustion chamber, the same used on the LS heads. The increased flow rates are great for higher end power production but I am leaning towards using the B-body LT1 camshaft unless an improved one can be made given the lift restrictions of the stock L31 Vortec heads. I have to stick to my guns with the cast iron L31 Vortec heads which I would likely get from Scoggin-Dickey as well as their Vortec TPI base.

With regards to machine shop costs, I have compared prices for cast iron and aluminum head work from welding repairs to drilling modifications and the prices seem fair. Again, I don't know exactly how different the coolant jackets are on the L31 Vortec Heads compared to the LT1 heads. If someone had a good idea I would love to know what you think! These pictures show me that the work involved won't be as bad as I think unless the LT1 heads require coolant channels but I can't tell...
L31 heads
LT1 heads
Old 05-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
I told you in post 1 to gasket match the thing...

And jealousy ain't the word that's for damn sure.
I think there is more to this than merely gasket matching. With regards to my experiences jealousy in broad definition suits the attitudes of those I have dealt with, those who wish to teach lessons when it is they who need the lesson taught to them, or from people who couldn't appreciate a different outlook or conflicting mindset. It doesn't matter here. I am just trying to figure out what needs to be done to make L31 Vortec heads usable on an LT1 with reverse flow cooling. The damn things were based off of the LT1 heads so there has to be a way to get them reverse-flow capable.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-06-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Sure. Bolt them up, they will work fine
Old 05-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Benny42
Sure. Bolt them up, they will work fine
Sarcasm? Why is the thought of using these heads on my LT1 a bad idea? Given an engine with a reliable cooling system, using a very small B-body LT1 camshaft (L31 spec), and using a TPI intake, why would these heads be a bad idea? Yes, aluminum is easier to work with, it bumps up the compression a tad more than iron, it is more forgiving for overheating, and for high RPM performance you have more options in aluminum cast, but why are these heads such a bad idea? The L31 engine has a compression around 9 but if put on an SBC block the compression jumps to 10, no different than cast iron LT1 heads on an LT1 block. So, is using Vortec heads on my LT1 that bad of an idea if they can be successfully converted for reverse flow cooling?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:47 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... The neighborhood bus stop is in front of my house ... it is well known in the 'hood that I'm a car guy ... so when one of the 13 year olds asked me about putting a V12 in his Grandma's PT Cruiser I immediately thought of you ... my response to him is the exact response to you ... sure it can be done ... but why bother ? ... except to say that you did something that would impress a 13 year old ! .....
Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by C409
..... The neighborhood bus stop is in front of my house ... it is well known in the 'hood that I'm a car guy ... so when one of the 13 year olds asked me about putting a V12 in his Grandma's PT Cruiser I immediately thought of you ... my response to him is the exact response to you ... sure it can be done ... but why bother ? ... except to say that you did something that would impress a 13 year old ! .....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...results-2.html

Thank you for the help, and I mean that with sarcasm C409. Maybe what I wish to do with my engine is laughable to you all but if it helps me to achieve my goal of modifying this engine to perform in the way that I wish, and perhaps with other extra improvements as a result, then that is all that matters to me. So, really, thanks for the non-help.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-06-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Just DO it and report back to us. All the why not, how can I, etc. is getting tiresome.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:05 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I have learned in life that when people start bashing you in groups, they are jealous of something and trying to break your will. I won't let that happen so keep on hating with your posts.
Got it. We're all jealous of you and trying to keep you from discovering the magic formula that only the "in crowd" knows. So when you ask if something is a good idea, or how to do something that nobody else is doing, you will only listen to sycophantic replies - all others trying to explain why it's a bad idea or why all the assumptions your ideas are predicated on are wrong will be discarded. Ergo, this:
Why is the thought of using these heads on my LT1 a bad idea? Given an engine with a reliable cooling system, using a very small B-body LT1 camshaft (L31 spec), and using a TPI intake, why would these heads be a bad idea?
...is bullshit because you have no intention of actually accepting anyone's honest answers. So why keep asking these questions if you don't actually want the answers? There can be only one explanation: YOU'RE A TROLL!!! Whether that is your true intention or whether you've just accidentally become a troll, only you can answer. But rest assured that you are a troll. Get the hell off this forum, troll!
Old 05-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
...is bullshit because you have no intention of actually accepting anyone's honest answers. So why keep asking these questions if you don't actually want the answers? There can be only one explanation: YOU'RE A TROLL!!! Whether that is your true intention or whether you've just accidentally become a troll, only you can answer. But rest assured that you are a troll. Get the hell off this forum, troll!
No one has answered my question, the very reason for this post. It is a joke to everyone and that is what is getting tiresome! How can I consider most of your suggestions when you won't answer the question for this post? I am not a troll but you sure are by not answering the question! Answer the question of the post!
Old 05-06-2018, 03:55 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

No one has answered my question, the very reason for this post. It is a joke to everyone and that is what is getting tiresome! How can I consider most of your suggestions when you won't answer the question for this post? I am not a troll but you sure are by not answering the question! Answer the question of the post!
It's been answered. So has your question of why it is a bad idea to spend that much time and money to adapt inferior heads to your LT block. This is the same way your bullshit questions about putting a TPI intake on your LT1 went: people like me and many others went to great lengths to type detailed answers to all your questions, only to have you tell us we were wrong and hadn't answered your questions. Get off this forum!
Old 05-06-2018, 04:03 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

It is a joke to everyone and that is what is getting tiresome!
Yes.... yes you are.

Surely finals aren't over already? Surely you have more serious studying to do?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
It's been answered. So has your question of why it is a bad idea to spend that much time and money to adapt inferior heads to your LT block. This is the same way your bullshit questions about putting a TPI intake on your LT1 went: people like me and many others went to great lengths to type detailed answers to all your questions, only to have you tell us we were wrong and hadn't answered your questions. Get off this forum!
No, it has not been answered. You do reveal your intentions by pushing your opinion on me. Okay, why are the Vortec heads "inferior"? The reason this idea started was to find an easier way to get the TPI intake on my LT1. You are all aware of my performance goals with this engine.

I won't get off this forum.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:20 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I mean mine have been for about a week but that generally isn't the norm....
Old 05-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Yes.... yes you are.

Surely finals aren't over already? Surely you have more serious studying to do?
I can take breaks between studying and school work, can I not? The more I research into the kind of mods I want on my LT1, including the debate on iron head material versus aluminum head material and the fuel efficiency between the two, the more interested I become in cast iron heads for my LT1. I can go on and on but why get off topic?

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-06-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The question I posed for this post has still not been addressed.
Like many of your other stupid threads, your question was literally answered by post #5....but ya don't even "see" it. Everything that you need to know has been covered by post number 5.

Everybody wants to do dissuade my build and that only pokes my curiosity as to why! Maybe in my research I already answered my own question, weld off the intake side coolant passages and expand the block side coolant passages to match the LT1.
There you go. You got it all figured out.
As has been stated multiple times, people dissuade b/c they know better. Then you come on here, with the gall to say that "they themselves need an education"...or some **** like that. You realize that you're saying that about the very folks whom your asking advice from....right?

I have learned in life that when people start bashing you in groups, they are jealous of something and trying to break your will.
Originally Posted by 84 4+3
And jealousy ain't the word that's for damn sure.
...totally. No one is jealous. But many of us know how to meet your objective way more easily. If I had to put my thoughts in one word, it would be "thankful". I'm thankful that my brain doesn't go down the roads that the OP's does. Not "jealous"...rather, "thankful".

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-06-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Benny42
Just DO it and report back to us. All the why not, how can I, etc. is getting tiresome.
Dude...you don't "Get it". " All the why not, how can I, etc. "...has only just begun!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Like many of your other stupid threads, your question was literally answered by post #5....but ya don't even "see" it. Everything that you need to know has been covered by post number 5.
Do you mean the "answer" from post #14?

Originally Posted by C409
..... Just get yourself an LT1 head gasket and overlay it on the vortec heads ... then go to Harbor Freight and buy a cordless drill and some titanium drill bits and have at it ... I'd think it shouldn't take more than an afternoon to ruin some heads ... that's if the HF drill lasts that long ! .....
So I won't have problems with pressurized coolant backtracking out of the intake side coolant channels where the TPI Intake will be? I suppose if I safely block off the thermostat hole on the Vortec TPI base and using the proper manifold gasket that any coolant will be stored in the manifold and sit there but this can't be a good thing and certainly that pressure build up will result in an intake manifold leak with coolant pouring out at some point! The Vortec head will have to have that coolant passage welded off with steel and then sanded down to flush with the face by a machine shop! This is why I can't half-*** it in a garage and hence why I can't take these suggestions as if they are gospel!

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
There you go. You got it all figured out.
As has been stated multiple times, people dissuade b/c they know better. Then you come on here, with the gall to say that "they themselves need an education"...or some **** like that. You realize that you're saying that about the very folks whom your asking advice from....right?
You better quote my comment before spewing b.s. taking my comment out of context to suit your bashing purposes. I am tired of grape vine trash talk from people such as yourself.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-06-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

With regards to machine shop costs, I have compared prices for cast iron and aluminum head work from welding repairs to drilling modifications and the prices seem fair.
..... And exactly what did they have to say about your ingenious plans ? .....
Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

You better quote my comment before spewing b.s. taking my comment out of context to suit your bashing purposes. I am tired of grape vine trash talk from people such as yourself.
What did I take out of context? But here you go...I'll quote yourself for you:

those who wish to teach lessons when it is they who need the lesson taught to them
How is ^that^ "context"? I'd say I did O.K. with my point. I don't really care. You're tired of us....WE'RE TIRED OF YOU. I'm with Matt Miller; You ought to kick pebbles on down the road.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-06-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

I need to clarify that instead of a blanket statement about all Vortec heads, I meant to discuss specifically the L31 heads, as brought up by the OP. Edits in this post have been made accordingly.
No, it has not been answered.
It was answered. Go back and read.
You do reveal your intentions by pushing your opinion on me.
I haven't pushed any opinion on you in this thread, other than that you're a troll. You asked about whether L31 head could be fitted to an LT1, and that's been answered. You asked why it wouldn't be a good idea, and that's been answered if you carefully paid attention (but you didn't). But as always, when you ask for info and opinions and you get them, you then resent it (see quote above)!

Okay, why are the Vortec heads "inferior"? The reason this idea started was to find an easier way to get the TPI intake on my LT1. You are all aware of my performance goals with this engine.
See, there you go asking for my opinion again. And once I give it to you (along with copious facts to back it up), you'll tell me how it reveals my evil intentions and jealousy toward you. The whole plan to put a TPI intake on an LT1 is stupid, and I've gone into great detail in your last train wreck of a thread to explain why (you didn't listen then either).

The L31 heads are inferior to what you could do for the same money both because they don't flow very well and (to some extent) because they're iron. You continue to confuse poor flow (i.e., heads and intakes that can only make decent numbers at low rpms because they are pieces of **** once the rpms and flow start to rise) with efficiency and "torque." The FACT is that poor flow doesn't cause better performance at low rpms, and it doesn't result in better efficiency. For the money and time you'll put into this ***-hatted idea of L31 heads and TPI intake, you could build a good 383 that would do everything you want AND be faster.

I'm not going to go into all kinds of detail here, because the last time I took the time to do that you ended up telling me I didn't understand how backpressure improves performance and how you can't measure exhaust pressure relative to ambient pressure. The very fact that you even ask about fitting L31 heads on your engine tells me you haven't learned a damn thing. So don't go away mad...just go away.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 05-07-2018 at 12:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (05-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?