C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Old 05-11-2018, 02:33 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Well.. at least pheonix went away
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Well.. at least pheonix went away
Nope. I am in disbelief that philosophy is being fought over. I want low end and mid-range torque out of my LT1 and that is it. I don't care about gearing to amplify power output. I never said L31 Vortec Heads were better flowing than other market heads out there. For my application at low lift and lower RPM, the Vortec heads would be perfect and not to mention my LT1 heads don't have tall ports, a borrowed design feature from the LT4 heads that made it's way into the Vortec heads.

I can't get an honest answer and even not commenting on this thread is better than the b.s. I am reading with members trying to prove their philosophies with regards to engine building. Just give me a straight answer and don't get offended when I have to question it. Damn!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:58 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

aww $hit..
Old 05-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
not commenting on this thread is better
YES! It is! This has been a closer look!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:47 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Nope. I am in disbelief that philosophy is being fought over. I want low end and mid-range torque out of my LT1 and that is it. I don't care about gearing to amplify power output. I never said L31 Vortec Heads were better flowing than other market heads out there. For my application at low lift and lower RPM, the Vortec heads would be perfect and not to mention my LT1 heads don't have tall ports, a borrowed design feature from the LT4 heads that made it's way into the Vortec heads.

I can't get an honest answer and even not commenting on this thread is better than the b.s. I am reading with members trying to prove their philosophies with regards to engine building. Just give me a straight answer and don't get offended when I have to question it. Damn!
I gave you ANOTHER honest answer -- which you ONCE AGAIN passed off. Those heads are a waste of time FOR YOUR GOALS and wouldn't provide enough (if any) difference in low/mid performance to warrant the time, effort, cost, etc... But, then again, this has been the mantra of this forum for your pie-in-the-sky ideas even if "original" or whatever.

Have you ever done a cost analysis to estimate cost, guesstimated fuel savings, or whatever to tell yourself if a given project is even worth it? I doubt it. If so, share THAT thinking (I say with great reservation). Because I think it will confirm how poorly thought through these ideas are. Don't "cop out" either and talk about all the pollution you'll be saving...and how the cost is worth it. If you do, you might as well include THAT analysis...then tie it back to production costs, carbon "waste" from the food to earn the money, and any other offset issues that apply. After all, for someone with THAT level of ideal, you have to consider everything.

For your goals, buying a longtube TPI intake had better merit -- how ever small. The way you IGNORED the opportunity to actually buy one (ebay link) proves you are a troll. You don't actually want to do something...or even save for...and wait on something. You just want to spout BS and cry when people realize there's more interesting and BENEFICIAL conversations to be had -- than with you.

Spouting BS and crying may be understandable -- while having a president who promotes that approach each and every day. Do you think it's working well for him? In response to Trump's overwhelming NONSENSE, do people "stand-up" and write congress OR OBJECT? Or do reportedly "sentient people" actually INVENT other problems to prove how Trump is so great? You know...like discrediting our entire law/judicial system? You know...to DEFLECT from the fact he is more corrupt than those he "held up" before taking office!!!! Between this forum and stupid-azz politicians, which of us deals with DUMB topics better? At least you can learn something here.

Your idea was a dream...an "invention"...not a solution. You are trying to peddle fake news with this L31 idea. LOL

This has ALSO been a closer look.

Now...let's all get back to reality......Stroker or gears....stroker or gears....stroker or gears....

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 05-11-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Wanted to qualify that a TPI wasn't stellar either -- though marginally better
Old 05-11-2018, 03:50 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Blk/Red LT4
Ok, but... I’m pretty sure that the tranny, no matter what gear, steps up or down the torque the inverse amount that it does to the RPM of the rear wheels.

Yes, again a CVT is illustrative: it holds power constant and the wheel torque (or tractive force) varies inversely to the velocity of the car (or rpm of the drive wheels.

Power IS a quantity that can be measured at one speed even if not accelerating at all.
Sure it is. As long we're operating in an environment where there is drag and/or an uphill grade, force has to be applied at the drive tires just to maintain a constant speed. So we'd move away from F=MA.
Instead, we go with power=force*speed (which is essentially the formula for horsepower), like you said. So even without acceleration, power is applied, unless we're in space (nearly perfect vacuum) where no force (thrust) is required to maintain velocity.

Power is proportional to torque times RPM (with a conversion factor, 1/5252). So you CAN determine torque out from torque in.
You can't determine axle torque from just knowing the crankshaft torque, unless you also know the total drivetrain gear ratio. And even with axle torque, you still can't know the tractive force (the actual F that accelerates the car) without knowing the tire radius. But once you know the tire radius and gear ratios, you also know the power. Put another way, you can't know the tractive force without knowing the power.

Absent the info about the gear ratios and tire radius, if you know a car is traveling 60mph and the engine is outputting 300lb/ft of peak torque at the crankshaft at that speed, you still have no idea what the tractive force is. The engine might have be putting that torque peak out at 3000rpm (e.g., a diesel) or 6000rpm (e.g., a sporty gasoline engine), or any other rpm. We don't know. The 3000rpm engine will accelerate the car from 60mph at half the rate as the 6000rpm engine.

Lower gears increase the torque out by a factor inverse to that of the RPM [at the axle], so the power in, power out rule isn’t violated.
That is true.

My car has an incredibly flat torque curve from about 2000 RPM to nearly 5500 before it starts falling off. Amazing. Power starts small and ramps up nearly linearly. (Peak of 307 lb-ft and 305 HP at wheels). Although, acceleration is great even at 2000 RPM, and is steady all the way up to 5500. Power peaks at about 5500 and is quite flat until 6200 where testing stops/red line/rev limit. Acceleration starts falling off above 5500 as well.
Within a single gear selection, yes. But if you upshifted at 5500rpm to move the engine closer to it's torque peak, you'd have even less acceleration than you do between 5500-6200rpm.

So here are two truisms that coexist:
For any given road speed, a car always accelerates hardest at peak power rpm, but
Within one single gear ratio, a car always accelerates hardest at the engine's peak torque. But note that the peak-torque road speed is lower than the peak-power speed.

Also, acceleration would be lousy starting in 4th gear, right? But in 1st gear the torque is multiplied. Also, switching out the differential gears to a 4.11 will give you neck snapping acceleration too. Because it multiplies the torque output.
Yes, but at a lower road speed. At the same road speed, your car always accelerates hardest at its peak power rpm. That's why we have transmissions in the first place: to keep the engine operating as close to peak-power rpm as possible (when max acceleration is called for, at least).

I’m not sure, but aren’t you confusing speed for acceleration? Acceleration is the change in speed per unit time. If speed is measured in m/s, then acceleration is m/s/s, or m/s^2. Tell me where I’m wrong.
Your units are correct in this paragraph, but I'm not confusing them. The reason I keep referencing road speed is that it takes more power to accelerate at the same rate when you start from a higher mph. For example, it takes twice the power to accelerate at 0.5G from 100mph as it does from 50mph (leaving out all drag and friction from all sources, which make the difference a lot bigger than just 2x). That's because only half the wheel torque or tractive force is available at 100mph as at 50mph for the same power level (again, think of the gearing required for each, or the CVT example - you'd need twice as tall gearing at 100mph).
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I gave you ANOTHER honest answer -- which you ONCE AGAIN passed off. Those heads are a waste of time FOR YOUR GOALS and wouldn't provide enough (if any) difference in low/mid performance to warrant the time, effort, cost, etc... But, then again, this has been the mantra of this forum for your pie-in-the-sky ideas even if "original" or whatever.
Explain in detail, please, why exactly you feel the L31 Vortec heads are not an improvement over the heads I already have for my given goal with my engine. Your notion of what is worth the time, effort, and cost is definitely different from mine! You want to have an engine with more potential to expand performance whereas I am only concerned with fixing performance at a certain point with no more growth! Insults don't help this discussion either.

Have you ever done a cost analysis to estimate cost, guesstimated fuel savings, or whatever to tell yourself if a given project is even worth it? I doubt it. If so, share THAT thinking (I say with great reservation). Because I think it will confirm how poorly thought through these ideas are. Don't "cop out" either and talk about all the pollution you'll be saving...and how the cost is worth it. If you do, you might as well include THAT analysis...then tie it back to production costs, carbon "waste" from the food to earn the money, and any other offset issues that apply. After all, for someone with THAT level of ideal, you have to consider everything.
No, I don't look at a purchase to increase fuel economy in terms of how much fuel I will save to gain back that investment. No! I only look at it in terms of how the new recorded average compares to my old stock engine recorded average and if I receive an average gain then I was successful. Again, I don't expect major fuel economy gains but I would like bump up fuel economy a tad if it can be had. Plenty of low end torque to propel the car with the assistance of a BAS system which includes start/stop ability is a good start! Is it worth it? To me, hell yes. I love my car, I love the styling, and I love the engine but high RPM torque is not for me in my daily drive.

For your goals, buying a longtube TPI intake had better merit -- how ever small. The way you IGNORED the opportunity to actually buy one (ebay link) proves you are a troll. You don't actually want to do something...or even save for...and wait on something. You just want to spout BS and cry when people realize there's more interesting and BENEFICIAL conversations to be had -- than with you.
Buddy, I am researching this. In the event my dumb *** is wrong and I would be happy with throwing on a 4.11 rear gear ratio, I want to make damn sure before I commit to this build. Anyone who wishes to extensively modify and modernize an old car had better do the research before dropping the dough. This is why I am putting up with all of your abuse on this forum to see whether or not this grandiose idea of mine is worth it. So far it seems so but I have to remember I could be wrong as sin. So, I am reading from Impala LT1 sites and anywhere else where people have put ZZ4 cams on their B-Body LT1s or the results of using Vortec heads with ZZ4 cams on L91s.

This has ALSO been a closer look.
Apparently not!

Stroker or gears....stroker or gears....stroker or gears....
What about the inbetween? Stock gear ratio and more torque below 5252 RPM?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Ok what you want and what you get aren't always the same thing. The Cast Iron LT1 head will work. To know for sure the vortec head will work you will need to cut a cast iron lt1 and vortec head in half to be sure the are no hidden obstructions in the casting. Chevrolet did not design vortec head for reverse cooling. On other sites this topic is maybe 10 posts used the "the iron lt1 is the same as the stock vortec" but not here. If you want to jump your torque sleeve, your engine down to 3.875 stroke it to 3.75 you will end up a 355 ci. You could go smaller on bore but limited to l99 head. The cast iron LT1 heads or set of ported l99 heads keeping the 1.84 valves. The idea is to have a high intake velocity and since a low operation range is desired it should work out. The vortec or b body cam in it. long tube 1.50 headers feeding is to single exhaust for maximum scavenging. Fab a intake with a custom intake with a tuning valve so it uses long runners up to 2k and short runner beyond it. Then the fun stuff tuning it to work. The reality is this project is cost prohibitive especially when you get to your alternative fuel hybrid drive.
The following users liked this post:
Phoenix'97 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Ok what you want and what you get aren't always the same thing. The Cast Iron LT1 head will work. To know for sure the vortec head will work you will need to cut a cast iron lt1 and vortec head in half to be sure the are no hidden obstructions in the casting. Chevrolet did not design vortec head for reverse cooling. On other sites this topic is maybe 10 posts used the "the iron lt1 is the same as the stock vortec" but not here. If you want to jump your torque sleeve, your engine down to 3.875 stroke it to 3.75 you will end up a 355 ci. You could go smaller on bore but limited to l99 head. The cast iron LT1 heads or set of ported l99 heads keeping the 1.84 valves. The idea is to have a high intake velocity and since a low operation range is desired it should work out. The vortec or b body cam in it. long tube 1.50 headers feeding is to single exhaust for maximum scavenging. Fab a intake with a custom intake with a tuning valve so it uses long runners up to 2k and short runner beyond it. Then the fun stuff tuning it to work. The reality is this project is cost prohibitive especially when you get to your alternative fuel hybrid drive.
^This may be the answer right here. But with the L05 head. The small bore, long stroke, L05 head, 2' long intake runners, L03 cam...OMG, from like 379 RPM, to like....1863 RPM? The thing will pull like a *****!
Old 05-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

First off, thank you. I had the same thought of maybe there needing to be a requirement to cut LT1 iron heads in half along with the L31 Vortec heads and then weld them together but that will be insanely expensive and it will totally ruin everything else. I need to track down a GM engineer who can explain to me the exact differences between the two and whether or not it is as simple as welding off the intake side on the L31 Vortec heads and gasket matching the block mating side.

If this is not doable then I wonder if perhaps Scoggin Dickey might be able to make me a TPI base for the LT1. Which I would then mate to LT1 iron heads since I am now in love with the material. We shall see.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Old 05-11-2018, 07:38 PM
96 Blk/Red LT4
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phoenix, I once had a 94 Corvette with an LT1, and it was wonderfully fuel efficient - when driven conservatively. I could get 20 mpg city and 33 mpg hwy. My 96 LT4, with heads that flow better and greater output over the entire operating range, I can only get 18 city and 29 hwy. For the amount of performance and fuel economy, the LT1 is already a great engine (except for maybe that opti spark, which I actually never had any trouble with myself). Of coarse, it IS a bit of a trick to know how to drive to get those numbers. If it’s fun... you’re not doing it right! So... I’m a little confused as to why you would want to mess with an engine that is so good as it is. If it’s just for experimentation, curiosity, and/or learning... then I suppose I understand. But your hobby may well become quite expensive.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Phoenix, I once had a 94 Corvette with an LT1, and it was wonderfully fuel efficient - when driven conservatively. I could get 20 mpg city and 33 mpg hwy. My 96 LT4, with heads that flow better and greater output over the entire operating range, I can only get 18 city and 29 hwy. For the amount of performance and fuel economy, the LT1 is already a great engine (except for maybe that opti spark, which I actually never had any trouble with myself). Of coarse, it IS a bit of a trick to know how to drive to get those numbers. If it’s fun... you’re not doing it right! So... I’m a little confused as to why you would want to mess with an engine that is so good as it is. If it’s just for experimentation, curiosity, and/or learning... then I suppose I understand. But your hobby may well become quite expensive.

Maybe, because he is a smart troll. Smart enough to keep folks interested and smarter than most here on engine building, but enjoys getting off on "testing" the corvette forum guys.

Last edited by pologreen1; 05-11-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If this is not doable then I wonder if perhaps Scoggin Dickey might be able to make me a TPI base for the LT1. Which I would then mate to LT1 iron heads since I am now in love with the material. We shall see.
What benefit do you see in the iron heads? Having owned and driven both the L98 takes for ever to warm up compared to the LT, and likewise to cool off.

The negative I see here is that although iron has a higher thermal capacity for heat it is very slow to release it. Although some argue this provides for a more complete burn the benefit is lost to higher chance of pre-ignition, this requiring a lower compression ratio resulting in decreasing power output and economy. Although weigh plays a small difference in why everyone has transitioned to aluminum the ability for higher compression stability and better thermal transfer to the coolant are the big winners here. This is the same reason guys who built high strung LT and LS based truck motors have issues with warped heads and cracks, the difference is speed and amount of expansion in the different materials. Mind you this is only happening to high strung engines put under severe loads for prolonged times. Also from someone who spent days reshaping my LT1 heads, aluminum is my metal of choice because of how much easier it is to work with.

One last point I would suggest you look for flow numbers of the L98, LT1 and L31 heads to compare at the same levels of lift. Flow numbers correlate with available velocity at given lift. I suggest this to warn you that you may be suffocating the LT1 too early even for your goals. I get you don't care about top end flow and that is fine but I feel the concern is that the L31 heads or any vortec heads for that matter don't flow as well as an LT1 at any velocity or lift.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Space387
What benefit do you see in the iron heads? Having owned and driven both the L98 takes for ever to warm up compared to the LT, and likewise to cool off.

The negative I see here is that although iron has a higher thermal capacity for heat it is very slow to release it. Although some argue this provides for a more complete burn the benefit is lost to higher chance of pre-ignition, this requiring a lower compression ratio resulting in decreasing power output and economy. Although weigh plays a small difference in why everyone has transitioned to aluminum the ability for higher compression stability and better thermal transfer to the coolant are the big winners here. This is the same reason guys who built high strung LT and LS based truck motors have issues with warped heads and cracks, the difference is speed and amount of expansion in the different materials. Mind you this is only happening to high strung engines put under severe loads for prolonged times. Also from someone who spent days reshaping my LT1 heads, aluminum is my metal of choice because of how much easier it is to work with.
Everything you're saying here is correct. But we've already told him all of that stuff. Someone with a solid knowledge of thermal conductivity gave him real data. But since he's a troll and "read it" somewhere, he is intransigent.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Because I never got the mileage you got out of your LT1. My mileage is pretty spot on with EPA rated 15 city and 24 highway. I assume your engine received better care than mine and it wasn't driven in the winter. Everyone claims the engine is more fuel efficient but I have yet to reach those numbers, but then again the car has been plagued with problems and I was forced to fix them myself where I was able to.

Okay, since you got such mileage from a stock camshaft, I can safely assume that the more torque oriented B-Body LT1 cam should not hurt my fuel economy. This is the one camshaft I have in mind along with the ZZ4 which I read will require PCM tuning to maintain the torque levels of a B-Body camshaft and capitalize on the gains. The car is still stock at this point. Next up the heads, lets say I swap the aluminum heads over to the B-Body heads. Okay, I gain 40-50 extra pounds but the camshaft should have no problems handling it. If 40-50 pounds is going to break the car in fuel mileage then what about driver weight? Need to shed those pounds off to make the balance.

I understand, I am gambling with the TPI intake but the RPM range of this intake is right where my daily driving experience is at. The torque curve peak is just what I am looking for. I don't want to swap out my factory rear gear ratio when extra torque is just as effective at accelerating my F-body as is swapping out rear axle gears. To make the TPI intake work, I need a base to fit the LT1 heads or to modify L31 Vortec heads which I really think are just the reverse of modding LT1 heads to work on the first gen SBCs.

No, this isn't about satisfying curiosity, it is about giving me what I seek, seat of pants feel without having to go to the extreme of using a stroker kit and then butchering my city mileage. I drive this car in winter so a stroker engine is going to consume more fuel and I can't have that!

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-11-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You need to scan his first two threads related to installing tpi intake on lt1 and modifying TPI intake to fit (f body). Both are quite lengthy.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

You need to scan his first two threads related to installing tpi intake on lt1 and modifying TPI intake to fit (f body). Both are quite lengthy.
Yes. The unnecessary comments make them so. I am narrowing down my options.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 PM
96 Blk/Red LT4
Cruising

Do you have an automatic transmission? It’s way easier to get better gas mileage when you have full control with a manual. Also, 4.11 gears will hurt gas mileage terribly.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 PM
96 Blk/Red LT4
Cruising

To be fuel efficient, keep RPM as low as possible while driving in the highest gear possible. Without “lugging” the engine. Mine got best mileage in 6th gear going as slow as possible. I think somewhere between 1500 and 2000 RPM. Don’t really remember.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?