C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:14 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Warning: Don't use too many.

I put a stack of them in my airbox... Now I have to stop every 15 miles and drain the excess gas out.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
he can't understand the comment about telling everyone why THEY are wrong...and concludes that SAME POST by saying why Tom was wrong!
I missed it...but you're totally right! LOL!

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I've seen (even on this page of the thread) major points that are completely glossed over/skipped because he doesn't really care. He even said money DOESN'T MATTER to gain improvements -- then follows with why iron heads are better [than ported alum] because they are cheaper!

I know many -- if not all of you guys -- have seen prior posts and the endless rabbit-holes this guys leads us down.
This is totally true, and yes, this same exact pattern existed in his other threads too. It's a trap. I played for a while...but then I got sucked in. SUCK.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:27 PM
96 Blk/Red LT4
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phoenix, I noticed that you mentioned putting larger tube runners on the L98 intake plenum. Now, I’m not sure, but I think the idea behind their development was to improve the top end air flow, but actually hurts low end torque due to slowing down low end air flow. They increase peak torque and horsepower numbers and shift them to higher RPM, but at the expense of the low RPM values. I am totally going by memory here. Just something to think about.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
This is totally true, and yes, this same exact pattern existed in his other threads too. It's a trap. I played for a while...but then I got sucked in. SUCK.
EXACTLY!!!! There are exactly 3 other threads started by Phoenix. Do a search. Look at the last page of all of them. In 2 of those 3, I asked Phoenix to do some reflection to figure out why he keeps pissing people/forums off. He doesn't care. I didn't just try to help with his build, I tried to help HIM. He ignored that advice.

He WILL eventually get upset, leave for awhile, then return with another hair-brained idea. Most importantly -- like Matt has pointing out -- it will be for the purpose of trolling. Nothing changes about his exchanges.

He will never change. He thinks he is above critique. He reads/retains ONLY what he wants to. Our responses are meaningless. The ONLY way to make a point is to lead him around the net, show exact/complete proof OF EVERY LITTLE DETAIL before he will consider ANYTHING.

He does much better if you let him learn ON HIS OWN. He will do better visiting local shops, talking to cam grinders (like Bullet) and skipping forums (us....the middle-man).

At this point, I will suggest his "persona" has become so toxic (from his antics) that his threads (at least here) will ALWAYS be a train-wreck.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 96 Blk/Red LT4
Phoenix, I noticed that you mentioned putting larger tube runners on the L98 intake plenum. Now, I’m not sure, but I think the idea behind their development was to improve the top end air flow, but actually hurts low end torque due to slowing down low end air flow. They increase peak torque and horsepower numbers and shift them to higher RPM, but at the expense of the low RPM values. I am totally going by memory here. Just something to think about.
We've pointed this out to him months ago.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Blk/Red LT4
I was under the impression that the large tube runners were actually to help the 350 breathe better without hurting low end torque. The TPI intake in factory form is perfect for the 305 but was not good for the 350. If I were to put on siamesed runners or the SLP runners, those, from my understanding, will extend the RPM band but draw away from the low end torque by the same amount. This was what GREGGPENN stated on another thread of mine that we are now complaining about.

I understand, the TPI intake does not start to kick in with added torque production until 2500 RPM or so. However, for "fun factor", when accelerating from the green light this is what I am seeking. The B-Body LT1 cam was to help offset the slight pumping loss off idle that results from the TPI intake.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-12-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The tpi topic was covered in previous 2 threads.
The following users liked this post:
Phoenix'97 (05-12-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 01:23 AM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The offer for a complete TPI intake is still on the table. Hell I just put another 100ish miles on it today. If you really want to go all the way I'll trade you a complete top end. Heads cam and intake, All of it for your heads and intake. I would even take the time to clean and port them for you if you want. Think about it L98 top end with the smaller cam all for a set of heads and intake
Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Guys, I've asked the forum moderators in the past to ban this guy. He's a Firebird owner (purportedly) who comes here to troll everyone and stir up ****. And we all waste time and bandwidth while he ***** up the forum with tons of misinformation. Think about the poor newbie who comes here actually trying to learn something, and he has to try to sift through this crap! If enough of you pressure the mods to ban him, maybe they will. Otherwise, we're going to have to deal with this crap on a cyclical basis.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:14 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
Actually I already have two on my Trans Am! My current mechanic can vouch for it. I actually picked up 5 extra miles to the gallon so these things really work, just like Pep Boys promised!

Yep, some great advice on this forum. It is now official.
I hope you take things more serious in school than you do here... Then again you're probably one of the ones that tries to argue with the professor on why he/she is wrong. I can see it. I know the type. Deal with people like you everyday. The same people who ask me who taught me how to work on pools when an idiot with 1/10th of a brain cell could figure the **** out. They look at me like I have 4 heads when I tell them that and I just laugh. Common sense goes a long way, maybe instead of paying for school you could pay attention to 1/3 of the information in this thread and understand why what you're proposing never will work, the governing principals on why, and how basic energy equations work and maybe this thread would have been solved by post ten. Instead I've seen nothing but worthless dribble come from your mouth, spewing information that only fits your agenda accurate or not. I sure as hell hope you're pursuing something worthwhile at college and you're trolling for the hell of it, otherwise the way it sits what you are learning is just as worthless as the information you've proposed in this thread...
Old 05-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Space387
The offer for a complete TPI intake is still on the table. Hell I just put another 100ish miles on it today. If you really want to go all the way I'll trade you a complete top end. Heads cam and intake, All of it for your heads and intake. I would even take the time to clean and port them for you if you want. Think about it L98 top end with the smaller cam all for a set of heads and intake
I am going to have to start a new topic... I am not ready to purchase the TPI intake nor am I in the position to trade my LT1 intake and heads. It should be clearly apparent that I am still figuring out what the set-up is that I want. GREGGPENN called it early on that I don't quite know what I want. I have a concept in my head but I lack the funds that General Motors has to research it, although most of it was done for the third gen and then LT1 fourth gen. I am trying to figure out how to blend the two seamlessly.

I am not sure if Ken's FIRST TPI intake has provisions for emissions devices as on the stock TPI intake which is why I have been so focused on it. Furthermore the FIRST TPI intake looks bigger than the stock TPI and I already have a tight area under the cowl of my engine bay. The factory TPI should fit but I am not so sure about Ken's FIRST TPI, an extra quarter inch in height and it won't fit, assuming I can fit the stock TPI but I am not there yet.

I have another source to purchase a complete '91 TPI intake/manifold from, but again, I am not ready to purchase one.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
I hope you take things more serious in school than you do here... Then again you're probably one of the ones that tries to argue with the professor on why he/she is wrong. I can see it. I know the type. Deal with people like you everyday. The same people who ask me who taught me how to work on pools when an idiot with 1/10th of a brain cell could figure the **** out. They look at me like I have 4 heads when I tell them that and I just laugh. Common sense goes a long way, maybe instead of paying for school you could pay attention to 1/3 of the information in this thread and understand why what you're proposing never will work, the governing principals on why, and how basic energy equations work and maybe this thread would have been solved by post ten. Instead I've seen nothing but worthless dribble come from your mouth, spewing information that only fits your agenda accurate or not. I sure as hell hope you're pursuing something worthwhile at college and you're trolling for the hell of it, otherwise the way it sits what you are learning is just as worthless as the information you've proposed in this thread...
When you joke around with me I reply in kind. However, I understand how you feel. I am not a full-fledged car guy and I made my choice when I chose 18-wheeler trucking but that career was going no where based on who was hiring me and no one willing to trust me with a rig. I could always go to college for two-years to get a degree in automotive mechanics later on in my life but for now I am committed to what I am doing, though some may argue I am not cut out for it, well who really is when you just start out with a new career as I did in trucking. I had the doubters but I came through okay after a steep learning curve. The same is going on now.

What I want to do with my car is bizarre and counter to the mentality of building up more speed and horsepower. I always was different from everyone and I don't follow the pack. I may be wrong sticking with a factory TPI intake on my LT1, perhaps you all are right and I really need the better breathing FIRST TPI paired with whatever combo of cam and heads I decide to go with. This is what I am trying to figure out but forgive me that I am driving you all nuts with questions...
Old 05-13-2018, 01:53 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
When you joke around with me I reply in kind. However, I understand how you feel. I am not a full-fledged car guy and I made my choice when I chose 18-wheeler trucking but that career was going no where based on who was hiring me and no one willing to trust me with a rig. I could always go to college for two-years to get a degree in automotive mechanics later on in my life but for now I am committed to what I am doing, though some may argue I am not cut out for it, well who really is when you just start out with a new career as I did in trucking. I had the doubters but I came through okay after a steep learning curve. The same is going on now.

What I want to do with my car is bizarre and counter to the mentality of building up more speed and horsepower. I always was different from everyone and I don't follow the pack. I may be wrong sticking with a factory TPI intake on my LT1, perhaps you all are right and I really need the better breathing FIRST TPI paired with whatever combo of cam and heads I decide to go with. This is what I am trying to figure out but forgive me that I am driving you all nuts with questions...
I got no dog in this fight but here is a comment from the outside looking in. It is not your questions that are bothering people. Questions is what forums such as these are about. From what I see, it is one of the following:
A. When your questions are answered, you later claim they have not been.
B. When people who know what they are talking about tell you the best way, you tell them they are wrong.

I learned early in life that if you want to be successful at anything, you have to work hard and take the advice of the people who have been there and ARE successful already.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by arbee
I got no dog in this fight but here is a comment from the outside looking in. It is not your questions that are bothering people. Questions is what forums such as these are about. From what I see, it is one of the following:
A. When your questions are answered, you later claim they have not been.
B. When people who know what they are talking about tell you the best way, you tell them they are wrong.

I learned early in life that if you want to be successful at anything, you have to work hard and take the advice of the people who have been there and ARE successful already.
A. This thread of mine is at how many pages long and growing. The question I asked was never really answered to be quite literal.
B. Yes, everyone on here I have no doubt as to knowledge on how to build a more powerful car. Here is the problem, I am not building a more powerful car! I am doing the opposite, desiring a stockish build trying to replicate the L98 in an LT1, to give you some idea of what I want, without the use of a stroker or supercharger.

I disagree with those who push higher gearing in my rear axle or tell me I want a stroker kit . Would you argue with a customer if they wanted a specific build and you are telling them to do other things contrary to what they really want? Yes, I need to talk to an engine builder because my threads all end up with garbage like this at the end and everyone calling me a troll because I want to do something different with my engine.

I have gone back and fourth with the proposals suggested, researched them a bit more and decided they were not for me. I come back here and the circus starts because these fine performance people know what I want. If everyone is in such an uproar then don't complain and cry to the moderator, don't comment! Actually I should stop commenting. I am tired of explaining what I want and then engaging in circular reasoning where forum members pick and paste comments to make a big joke of something serious to me.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-13-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Aaaand you just did what Arbee, MM, and everyone else has said you do.

Phoenix, if forum members give you good advice, you tell them they're wrong (which you do)...and the reason is that: "I have no doubt as to knowledge on how to build a more powerful car.".....but "I am not building a more powerful car! I am doing the opposite," (in other words, you're building a turd), then the solution is simple: Find a more appropriate forum. Why ask about building a low RPM turd, w/o stroking or gears, from a group of "hardcore race car guys"?? You're obviously on the wrong forums...you've essentially admitted as much above. So the solution is clear and self evident; move on to a different forum where people are low RPM, anti-stroking, turd builders. THOSE people will have the answers/solutions etc. that you're looking for. Us "race car guys" aren't going to be able to help you.

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Guys, I've asked the forum moderators in the past to ban this guy. He's a Firebird owner (purportedly) who comes here to troll everyone and stir up ****. And we all waste time and bandwidth while he ***** up the forum with tons of misinformation. Think about the poor newbie who comes here actually trying to learn something, and he has to try to sift through this crap! If enough of you pressure the mods to ban him, maybe they will. Otherwise, we're going to have to deal with this crap on a cyclical basis.

Reported. Twice.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Moving this discussion...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597190802
Old 05-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Hold you question was answered!

1 It will bolt on
2 . it can be welded and drilled. Will it work 100% unless you have a copy of the foundry patterns or cut the top of both the LT1 and l31 you won't know it there is an obstruction in the casting.
3 the l31 head was patterned after the cast iron lt1 head. The iron lt1 head will provide the benefits of vortec head and is designed for reverse cooling.

The LT1 as it is was very well designed and it is unlikely simple bolt ons will dramatically increase torque. The concept of longer stroke to get a more dramatic increase in torque because of more leverage turning crank you don't understand.

Last edited by Kevova; 05-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Phoenix'97 (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

PS: They really are right about the tech aspect of all of this. It's math. Most combination questions can be answered with math.

I'm not Ricky Racer, so I don't follow it much.. But if you are, or if you wanna be, there's a website called "Grumpy's Performance" (google it) and he deals with all the older vette stuff, all the different combos, Vortec stuff, TPI stuff, LT1 stuff, the aftermarket add ons.. And best of all, he doesn't just say: "It's like this!" He provides the math and dyno sheets so people can follow along and see how he arrives at that conclusion.

It's really helpful sometimes. You might wanna check it out?

Last edited by confab; 05-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?