C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Does anyone have a good idea as to what kind of machining work would be required to make L31 Vortec iron heads reverse-flow capable for use on the second-generation LT1?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:28 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

They'll bolt up. The big problem is making a non vortec intake work...

If you're feeling adventurous just drill it with a cordless drill. As long as the passage is close just gasket match right?
Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
They'll bolt up. The big problem is making a non vortec intake work...

If you're feeling adventurous just drill it with a cordless drill. As long as the passage is close just gasket match right?
I have the cure for that, put on a TPI intake using the Scoggin Dickey Vortec TPI base. The more I research, the more I realize that I just want a fun daily driver that is quick at the green traffic light but won't destroy city mileage. The L31 vortec heads were the last evolution of LT1 style heads and despite being truck heads, they were far more improved than the cast iron LT1 heads and even incorporated some features from the LT4 aluminum heads. I plan on using a stock camshaft and I need to research whether the B-body LT1 camshaft would be everything I need with this combination or if later down the road I should try a Lloyd Elliot mild cam that performs up to 5000 RPM.

I am working within the confines of a stockish set-up, desiring "practical" performance and nothing to really brag about or consider impressive by other standards. A TPI second-generation LT1 is all the fun I am going to need if I get the parts right.

I plan on having a machine shop do the drilling, I sure won't screw up cast iron L31 vortec heads when I don't know how to properly seal and drill them to LT1 specifications. Either I spend the money on this or I spend the money trying to get some TPI base to work on LT1 cast iron heads. Either way, customization is required...

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-04-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Can anyone elaborate on the differences in cooling passages between a regular SBC head and the LT1 head? Comparing pictures doesn't give me an idea of the machine work required. It helps to give me an idea of the scope of labor that will be involved by a shop.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Maybe it won't be so bad as I think it will be...

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ing-info.2538/
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ing-info.2538/
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...n-project.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...rsion-sbc.html

Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

I think you'd be better with the dart iron eagles or summit cast. They're similar to the vortec but you wouldn't have to worry about an intake. Or them cracking like the set I have on my work bench... you do you man
Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

I think you'd be better with the dart iron eagles or summit cast. They're similar to the vortec but you wouldn't have to worry about an intake. Or them cracking like the set I have on my work bench... you do you man
I read a few reviews about guys who regretted buying the dart iron eagles. Also, something similar to the vortec is not really ideal in my mind. I want to exploit it's design, the “heart-shaped” combustion chamber and the tumble airflow effect. From what I read, this set-up is also more fuel efficient given the additional power produced at lower RPM level which is perfect for my set-up and needs when compared to GMPP fast burn aluminum cylinder heads.

The big concern I have is whether it is possible to drill out the necessary coolant jackets in the base of Vortec heads to make them reverse flow capable to work on my LT1. Then, the machine shop would be working with iron instead of easier aluminum material.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I read a few reviews about guys who regretted buying the dart iron eagles. Also, something similar to the vortec is not really ideal in my mind. I want to exploit it's design, the “heart-shaped” combustion chamber and the tumble airflow effect. From what I read, this set-up is also more fuel efficient given the additional power produced at lower RPM level which is perfect for my set-up and needs when compared to GMPP fast burn aluminum cylinder heads.

The big concern I have is whether it is possible to drill out the necessary coolant jackets in the base of Vortec heads to make them reverse flow capable to work on my LT1. Then, the machine shop would be working with iron instead of easier aluminum material.
I stuck them on a 383 and picked up fuel economy compared to the 350 it replaced... 7 to 9 ain't much to write home about but tech has improved a lot in 20 years...
Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

I stuck them on a 383 and picked up fuel economy compared to the 350 it replaced... 7 to 9 ain't much to write home about but tech has improved a lot in 20 years...
Yeah and the funny thing about technology is that you can always improve what was deemed obsolete technology by marrying it with newer technology. Yes, I could swap in a newer 2014 LT1 or 2015 LT4, but the cost to do so would be so much, and considering all the custom work to get everything to work properly that I am better off using what I already have and trying to improve upon it where I can to give me more enjoyment during my drive.

The L31 Vortec heads are a definite improvement over my factory LT1 aluminum heads, so it makes sense to have them machined for reverse flow cooling to use them on my block. Yes, the TPI intake may not be the best intake ever made but in my eyes it is the predecessor to the LS1 intake and for my driving style where I don't need power beyond 5000 RPM, the TPI intake is the perfect intake for my goals and daily drive. I just need to figure out if using the B-body LT1 camshaft (very close to L31 Vortec camshaft specs) is what will best compliment this set-up or if using my factory LT1 camshaft would be the better choice, and then whether or not to modify the Vortec heads to use 1.6 RRs. Then lastly, converting my troublesome LT1 optispark ignition system over to a true coil-on-plug system.

It should be an awesome build once everything has been researched enough and I am ready to have it done.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:57 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Yeah and the funny thing about technology is that you can always improve what was deemed obsolete technology by marrying it with newer technology. Yes, I could swap in a newer 2014 LT1 or 2015 LT4, but the cost to do so would be so much, and considering all the custom work to get everything to work properly that I am better off using what I already have and trying to improve upon it where I can to give me more enjoyment during my drive.

The L31 Vortec heads are a definite improvement over my factory LT1 aluminum heads, so it makes sense to have them machined for reverse flow cooling to use them on my block. Yes, the TPI intake may not be the best intake ever made but in my eyes it is the predecessor to the LS1 intake and for my driving style where I don't need power beyond 5000 RPM, the TPI intake is the perfect intake for my goals and daily drive. I just need to figure out if using the B-body LT1 camshaft (very close to L31 Vortec camshaft specs) is what will best compliment this set-up or if using my factory LT1 camshaft would be the better choice, and then whether or not to modify the Vortec heads to use 1.6 RRs. Then lastly, converting my troublesome LT1 optispark ignition system over to a true coil-on-plug system.

It should be an awesome build once everything has been researched enough and I am ready to have it done.
Yea. But your taking obsolete technology and improving it with worse technology. The vortec heads are a neat trick. But like you know. I have no clue what I'm doing or anything.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The LT1 is the original vortec design head

Last edited by cv67; 05-05-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:20 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Old 05-05-2018, 01:33 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
you know, this reminds me of something someone said not very long ago... maybe someone said a certain phrase a third time...
Old 05-05-2018, 08:00 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Just get yourself an LT1 head gasket and overlay it on the vortec heads ... then go to Harbor Freight and buy a cordless drill and some titanium drill bits and have at it ... I'd think it shouldn't take more than an afternoon to ruin some heads ... that's if the HF drill lasts that long ! .....
Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... A guy I know built a TPI style intake out of plywood , fiberglass , epoxy , and plumbers P-trap pipes he bought at Lowes ... he claimed he got over 30 mpg ... until one day it backfired and burned his garage to the ground ... it was an attached garage ... saved the car but the manifold was a total loss ... sadly , his marriage was not saved ! .....
Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... A guy I know built a TPI style intake out of plywood , fiberglass , epoxy , and plumbers P-trap pipes he bought at Lowes ... he claimed he got over 30 mpg ... until one day it backfired and burned his garage to the ground ... it was an attached garage ... saved the car but the manifold was a total loss ... sadly , his marriage was not saved ! .....
That's too bad.......but Penix will research this so as to not burn his garage .....probably doesn't have a garage, but you get my point.....
Old 05-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Yea. But your taking obsolete technology and improving it with worse technology. The vortec heads are a neat trick. But like you know. I have no clue what I'm doing or anything.
Please explain what the worse technology is? Vortec heads were in development while the LT1/LT4 was being phased out for the new LS1, so the truck department got the last design enhancement that was made to an SBC type head. Clearly this head isn't something to poo poo if guys have willingly thrown them on their SBC engines, including TPI engines using SD TPI vortec base as I wish to do.

Now, I never said you don't have a clue or don't know what you are doing. I asked a question and now this post is getting turded up by jokers who can't appreciate what I want to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
The LT1 is the original vortec design head
The LT1 head does not share the design features of the Vortec head! The Vortec head was loosely based off of the cast iron B/D-body LT1 heads and raised runners from the LT4 aluminum head while adding in the new feature of the "heart-shaped" combustion chamber for better efficiency and power production down low. The Vortec head is the final evolution of SBC style head in a stock set-up which is why I want it. It won't compete in flow rates with race intended high horsepower applications but that is not what I am seeking out of my car.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-05-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
you know, this reminds me of something someone said not very long ago... maybe someone said a certain phrase a third time...
Originally Posted by C409
..... Just get yourself an LT1 head gasket and overlay it on the vortec heads ... then go to Harbor Freight and buy a cordless drill and some titanium drill bits and have at it ... I'd think it shouldn't take more than an afternoon to ruin some heads ... that's if the HF drill lasts that long ! .....
It is nice to deal with the jokers again who crap up posts and ruin a community that I thought would help guide me in a future build.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I think most of us are done helping. I know I am.

this post is getting turded up by jokers who can't appreciate what I want to do.
This thread got "turded up" in post #1, by the OP.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-05-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?