C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT coolant flush...without removing knock sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:13 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default LT coolant flush...without removing knock sensors?

This is in regard to a 96 CE with LT4.

I'm sure most will probably say it can't be done...at least the right way, but I came across a post on here that mentioned a procedure. I may have misunderstood, as I just skimmed it. The person posting it, mentioned using a shop vac in reverse to flush the old coolant, without removing the knock sensors. Curious if anyone knows of this and/or has tried it. It was an old post...from 2007, I think. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

How well maintained was the car? If it has sat for a long time or nobody changed it or you aren't sure, pull the KS. If you are flushing every 3 years, I don't see too much of an issue using a place with a machine to flush it. If it were my car, I'd definitely pull the KS once in a while, say every 3 flushes with the machine.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (05-16-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Considering how easy it is to pull the KS, there's really no excuse not to flush the block properly. That guy with the shop vac, he may be satisfied with his work and not have overheating problems, but nobody can tell you "all of the sediment is gone" just by using one method or the other. Pulling the KS is definitely the best way, the correct way.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
How well maintained was the car? If it has sat for a long time or nobody changed it or you aren't sure, pull the KS. If you are flushing every 3 years, I don't see too much of an issue using a place with a machine to flush it. If it were my car, I'd definitely pull the KS once in a while, say every 3 flushes with the machine.
Apparently, it was maintained very well. Looked very clean. Pulled the knock sensors and flushed with various methods. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DGXR
Considering how easy it is to pull the KS, there's really no excuse not to flush the block properly. That guy with the shop vac, he may be satisfied with his work and not have overheating problems, but nobody can tell you "all of the sediment is gone" just by using one method or the other. Pulling the KS is definitely the best way, the correct way.
I wound up pulling them, and flushing with several methods. Now I feel good about it. I just try to avoid going under there whenever I can, but almost always do...not satisfied otherwise. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To LT coolant flush...without removing knock sensors?

Quick Reply: LT coolant flush...without removing knock sensors?