C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 ce c4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 10:56 AM
nawtyc4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 ce c4

Morning everyone, got a problem with my 96 CE Driver side Headlight. I've replace the motor but it still sticks. Sometimes it goes all the way in open position sometimes it only opens half way. Also when I try to just turn on the runining lights, the headlight pop up. I was thinking its the Headlight module or maybe the headlight switch. Anyone had any similar issues.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:07 AM
Mr.Bear
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I suspect your headlight bushings which run inside your headlight gears may be shot. You can buy these for just a few $ on eBay. The gears may also be the issue, however they usually last longer than the six bushings do (three per light).

My lights are starting to act up as well on my C4 with just over 40,000 miles. Age seems to kill the bushings. There are a lot of good YouTube videos on the topic.

I am not certain why your headlight pops up when you turn on your running lights, as I have not encountered this issue (yet) - though I suspect your switch may have issues.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:03 AM
wxo96CE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mr. Bear. You would be well advised to check out the plastic bushing in the headlight rotating mechanism. They act as a clutch to rotate the headlight. Here is a good video that I used to fix both headlights on my 96CE. It will help you understand the problem and how to fix it.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:13 PM
Beeblebrox237
Cruising

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the bushings are probably the issue. I used this video when I rebuilt mine:

Seems to be a common issue on the C4, they used these strange plastic gears and bushings but I think to an extent it acts as a mechanical fuse so should something restrict movement you'll destroy the gears before you destroy the motor or light/housing.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 ce c4

Quick Reply: 96 ce c4