C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help! 1988, No brake fluid to rear brakes. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 04:10 PM
ChasZ06
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 1988, No brake fluid to rear brakes. Ideas?

I have a 1988 that has no fluid going to the rear brakes. Front brakes are fine. New Master already installed. Is this an ABS issue?
Any advise would be appreciated!
Old 04-03-2022, 09:28 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Did you get fluid to the rear brakes before swapping in the new master cylinder ? If the engagement rod is not adjusted correctly you won't get fluid to the rear.

A quick check, did you loosen the line to the rear just enough to see if fluid is weeping out when a helper steps on the brake pedal? If you
are NOT getting any fluid out to the rear at the master cylinder, you have to start your diagnosis there

https://shop.wilwood.com/blogs/news/...he-rear-brakes

https://www.google.com/search?q=no+f...client=gws-wiz
Old 04-04-2022, 08:58 AM
ChasZ06
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job Completed

What I ended up doing was to bypass the ABS for the rear brakes. The rear brake side of the ABS was blocking any brake fluid getting through. The front was fine but the rear was zero flow.
I cut and removed the line that feeds the tee behind the left rear tire. Then I ran a new line back down to where the lines all make the turn over the frame rail and left extra line.
I cut the line from the master cylinder there and tied the two together with a coupling. No ABS to the rear but good brakes.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You may want to do further refurbishing to the brakes later, especially for liability issues when you sell it to another unsuspecting buyer. As far as having ABS on one end of the car or the other, I would opt for ABS on the rear. If the rear locks up you have NO control over the direction of the car at all. Drifters use the parking brake to break the rear end loose every day.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:06 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Did you try opening up the ABS unit? Someone posted a video here not so long ago of opening one up. It was pretty basic. There were screens that were easy to clean.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! 1988, No brake fluid to rear brakes. Ideas?

Quick Reply: Help! 1988, No brake fluid to rear brakes. Ideas?