C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help to start and move 84 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:39 AM
nlneilson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help to start and move 84 Vette

I had a problem, - the power window on the driver door stopped working. Took the door panel off and tinkered. I got the window to go up and down.

Now the drivers door latch cannot be opened with the inside or outside door handle or the solenoid. Reaching inside the door I could not find a lever that the rods were to unlock the latch.. Even trying to pry the plastic latch does not work so the door cannot be closed and latched. I may need to drill the rivets holding the inside door lever to get the tin 'pan out so I can get the latch assembly out and replace it..

But the big problem now is apparently the alarm system will not let me start the engine or even crank the starter..
The car is parked in the street where after 72 hours I can get a $72 ticket or have it impounded.
I pulled the connection to the horn but can still hear the alarm horn relay clicking. After 15-20 minutes the relay stops clicking but the key will not turn the starter even with a jump and the battery is charged..
How can I disable the alarm to move the car ??? We had to push it once.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by nlneilson; 05-10-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 436 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by nlneilson
I had a problem, - the power window on the driver door stopped working. Took the door panel off and tinkered. I got the window to go up and down.

Now the drivers door latch cannot be opened with the inside or outside door handle or the solenoid. Reaching inside the door I could not find a lever that the rods were to unlock the latch.. Even trying to pry the plastic latch does not work so the door cannot be closed and latched. I may need to drill the rivets holding the inside door lever to get the tin 'pan out so I can get the latch assembly out and replace it..

But the big problem now is apparently the alarm system will not let me start the engine or even crank the starter..
The car is parked in the street where after 72 hours I can get a $72 ticket or have it impounded.
I pulled the connection to the horn but can still hear the alarm horn relay clicking. After 15-20 minutes the relay stops clicking but the key will not turn the starter even with a jump and the battery is charged..
How can I disable the alarm to move the car ??? We had to push it once.
Thanks for any help.
Even though There seems to be a Problem with your Linkages that control opening your Door. you should still have use of the Lock Cylinders on the outside of Car that control the alarm unless you left it unplugged.
The following users liked this post:
nlneilson (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM
nlneilson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
Even though There seems to be a Problem with your Linkages that control opening your Door. you should still have use of the Lock Cylinders on the outside of Car that control the alarm unless you left it unplugged.
All of the wires I unplugged I think I have plugged them all back together. I think tinkering with the wiring or moving the motor/regulator assembly made the power window work again.
I thought just locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key would reset the alarm, that is what I did before having problems with the power window
What else needs to be done with the door locks to reset or turn the alarm OFF. ?

Last edited by nlneilson; 05-10-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I think the key has to be held in the unlock position on the door. You could try the passengers side to disarm it. I forget if that works.
nlneilson (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 AM
DBo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you disconnect the battery it should reset. Does on my 84.

Dave
nlneilson (05-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Need help to start and move 84 Vette

Quick Reply: Need help to start and move 84 Vette