C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Deciding to fix my clear coat myself

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I have a metallic bronze. I really love the color. I’m worried about repainting because I don’t have an area that’s dust free. I have an HVLP sprayer but I’m not sure it would work for car paint? Plus the paint is expensive if I remember correctly.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:57 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I have a metallic bronze. I really love the color. I’m worried about repainting because I don’t have an area that’s dust free. I have an HVLP sprayer but I’m not sure it would work for car paint? Plus the paint is expensive if I remember correctly.
Yeah, there's about 1K in paint and supplies in mine.. I assume an overall for yours would be similar. And yeah, the metallic will mess you up on a panel to panel job, because the flake won't match and even little things like air pressure differences and technique will make big, big differences in the way they match.

Another option people used to do here, when they were in that situation, was to do the body work themselves and all the prep, get it totally ready.. Then take it to a Maaco (or similar outfit) and have them hit it with their top of the line Basecoat paint.. Because the materials they use (Or used to use?) are actually pretty good.. It's just their bodywork and prep that sucks.

Perhaps that is an option for you? You might even get a discount if your car is prepped to a point where they can just tape it, wipe it down and spray it with no other effort expended on their part?

Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by confab
Yeah, there's about 1K in paint and supplies in mine.. I assume an overall for yours would be similar. And yeah, the metallic will mess you up on a panel to panel job, because the flake won't match and even little things like air pressure differences and technique will make big, big differences in the way they match.

Another option people used to do here, when they were in that situation, was to do the body work themselves and all the prep, get it totally ready.. Then take it to a Maaco (or similar outfit) and have them hit it with their top of the line Basecoat paint.. Because the materials they use (Or used to use?) are actually pretty good.. It's just their bodywork and prep that sucks.

Perhaps that is an option for you? You might even get a discount if your car is prepped to a point where they can just tape it, wipe it down and spray it with no other effort expended on their part?

Good luck!!
I got a quote from a local shop I trust for just fixing the two panels and it's about $500 if I do the prep work myself. Still pretty pricey...
Old 05-12-2018, 12:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Recleared my 02 silverado (black) about 7 yrs ago started peeling about a yr ago. Red scotchbrite pad scuffed it up pretty good, clean and shoot.
Looked every part of fresh paint for a few yrs now looks like a meth mobile.
Prep a section, try it out see how it goes before you go too deep, you can rent a spray gun.
Sometimes auto paint supply houses know someone who will hook you up, lots that work at those places do it on the side.
Bfenty (05-12-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:18 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Progress photos

First coat
2nd coat
3rd coat
4th coat
Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

More touchups

First coat
Second coat
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Recleared my 02 silverado (black) about 7 yrs ago started peeling about a yr ago. Red scotchbrite pad scuffed it up pretty good, clean and shoot.
Looked every part of fresh paint for a few yrs now looks like a meth mobile.
Prep a section, try it out see how it goes before you go too deep, you can rent a spray gun.
Sometimes auto paint supply houses know someone who will hook you up, lots that work at those places do it on the side.
The way I see it, If it lasts for a couple years and looks ok, I spent $20 and a couple hours on it and can always have the pros repaint it later (at some point, I fully expect to have this car 100% repainted-just might be when I get a nice bonus). I've learned something and made my car look better in the meantime. If it fails tomorrow, well...I'm not really out anything I don't think. It looked pretty bad before, hopefully this will help.

I sanded with 1000 grit to smooth out the edges, then with 2000 grit to scuff it up nicely. I actually went through the color coat slightly on the mirror, but only in a small spot (I started on the mirror because I figured that's the easiest part to have painted someplace).

After laying on a few coats of clear, I sanded with 3000 grit to smooth it out a little more, then laid another few coats, then finally finished it off with 5000 grit. Once it has had time to harden up more, I will take a DA polisher to it and get the final shine on it. I'll post pics at that point, but wanted to share progress.

I'm using the 2k SprayMax stuff, I've used other clear coats before that were garbage, this stuff seems to be the real deal. Obviously time will tell, but I'm impressed so far. If you use it, WEAR A RESPIRATOR. I was wearing one but took it off too quickly and caught a good wiff of the stuff-it made me nauseous all night. Hopefully didn't give me cancer...

Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

That looks good, nice work! Keep us updated on the progress and how it holds up over time. There are a lot of C4's that could use a technique like this.
Bfenty (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mic575
That looks good, nice work! Keep us updated on the progress and how it holds up over time. There are a lot of C4's that could use a technique like this.
It's hard to see in photos (and hard to see in person), but there is a bit of discoloration where the clearcoat had peeled before. It's darker than the rest of the paint, but like I said it's barely noticeable even in person and very difficult to photograph. I'm hoping the overall shininess will keep it from being noticeable.

It's not a 10/10 repair job for sure-more like 7 or 8/10. A full repaint would be better. That said, it's definitely an improvement so far. I'm hoping when I do the final polish it will come out nice.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default its a great demonstration of how a guy can improve his car with limited resources

i appreciate you trying it and going for it. i did my 87 black and it was just fine. agree with your points on a 7-8 out of ten which for 99% of c4's at this stage in thier depreciation cycle is plenty good. one day id like to try painting the whole car! for now these spot repairs work well if you are ok with the results. i sure am.
Bfenty (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i appreciate you trying it and going for it. i did my 87 black and it was just fine. agree with your points on a 7-8 out of ten which for 99% of c4's at this stage in thier depreciation cycle is plenty good. one day id like to try painting the whole car! for now these spot repairs work well if you are ok with the results. i sure am.
End of the day, I drive this car on a pretty regular basis. Keeping it in show car shape isn't practical, but I want it to still look decent at least.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:19 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

you know of you mask a bit larger than the area you intend to paint, then work at feathering and blending it out, when you come back and sand with 1500 grit paper and buff it, it will show less, have a less definitive line where you cleared it at
Bfenty (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by drcook
you know of you mask a bit larger than the area you intend to paint, then work at feathering and blending it out, when you come back and sand with 1500 grit paper and buff it, it will show less, have a less definitive line where you cleared it at
yea I’m worried about that actually...
Old 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
It's hard to see in photos (and hard to see in person), but there is a bit of discoloration where the clearcoat had peeled before. It's darker than the rest of the paint, but like I said it's barely noticeable even in person and very difficult to photograph. I'm hoping the overall shininess will keep it from being noticeable.

It's not a 10/10 repair job for sure-more like 7 or 8/10. A full repaint would be better. That said, it's definitely an improvement so far. I'm hoping when I do the final polish it will come out nice.
I'll take a strong 7 or 8/10 every day of the week.
Bfenty (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by drcook
Turns out you were absolutely right. I sanded it down again but there was a BAD line where the tape came off. Then I sprayed the SprayMax back on, but I'm at the 48 hour timeframe...apparently they're not kidding, it didn't quite go on like it did before.

About 2 hours later and it's hardening up and looks a lot better than it did at first. Still, there's some running that I'm going to have to deal with. I could always just sand it down and start over but then I have to buy another can of SprayMax, which is expensive stuff...

Both the mirror and the B pillar came out looking GREAT-I'll buff them out in a day or two once it's had a good chance to set up, and I'm sure they're going to come out just fine.

All in all, I would highly recommend this process. It's easy and appears to be coming along very well.

After about 2 hours of setting, it looks a lot better. There are still clearly runs in it, but some careful sanding ought to make short work of those.

This is what it looked like after I sprayed it...ugh
Old 06-01-2018, 07:55 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

the man that sprayed the stripes on my car uses paint sticks to wrap the paper around. it is easy to control and makes a solid backer. (of course he has other blocks he uses also. he taught me some tricks for repairing the clearcoat.

there were a couple fisheyes. after sanding, I dabbed clear in and used the paint stick trick as well as other little blocks I purchased at API. you can also wrap paper around a dowel to get some control

the point is that you want to smooth the run and edges down, taking off the high point without dishing out the clear next to it.

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...rcoat-defects/

Last edited by drcook; 06-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:05 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

It will be interesting to see buffed out and no masking in pic. I am faced with worn out clear on top of bumpers and thinking about clear coat to belt line. Mine is a driver as well and has its fair share of nicks and scratches. The joy is in driving though not hiding it in a garage.

Last edited by ddahlgren; 06-02-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Deciding to fix my clear coat myself

Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
It will be interesting to see buffed out and no masking in pic. I am faced with worn out clear on top of bumpers and thinking about clear coat to belt line. Mine is a driver as well and has its fair share of nicks and scratches. The joy is in driving though not hiding it in a garage.
i completely agree with you. I’ll post some pics once I get it all buffed out etc. might be another week or so before I get it all done.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:22 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Found some “before” pics so you can see what I started with.

B pillar
Door closeup
B pillar closeup
Mirror closeup
Mirror closeup
Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 AM
TheMongoose
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me the problem has been getting to a good section of clear that won't peel off when I'm wet sanding OR peel off later. The problem is that the clear coat is not adhered to the base coat. Applying new clear over the old (happens at the edges at a minimum) puts more stress on the existing clear and helps to pull it off also. The problem has plagued our '98 Firebird. I've even gone over it with a plastic scraper to try and get anything loose or weak off the car to no avail.
So my advice would be if you do this to be careful when feathering the edges of the existing clear coat to try and not make them any bigger. Then minimize the overlap of the new clear and the old clear. If you go to a local paint supply shop you can get a can of 2 part clear. It has a red **** on the can that will add the hardener to the clear spray inside the can when you are ready. That's as close to a body shop repair as you can get as the paint will harden and be really durable.
Bfenty (06-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Deciding to fix my clear coat myself