C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing the Blower Motor and Evap Core

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing the Blower Motor and Evap Core

Fellow Vetters:

There is absolutely nothing left on my 91's firewall except a wiper blade motor and the blower motor/evap core, so removing the latter should be a snap... simply unscrew or unbolt lots of perimeter screws and nuts and pull the entire assembly off. Unfortunately, however, it won't come off! It feels as if there's another fasterner in the center of the assembly, but I sure don't see one, and there's nothing in front of it to block its movement. Just for fun, I went ahead and removed the blower motor to see if there were any hidden fasterers on the inside of the firewall. Nothing, nada, zip! Strangely enough, the blower squirell cage looked almost new... no dirt, leaves or mice! That surprised me almost as much as the fact the evap core wouldn't come loose. Any suggesstions? BTW, the FSM is kinda mum on this topic.

SnorT91Man
Old 06-06-2018, 08:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Separate the two case halves. Remove them one side at a time. Seems like the left half (inboard half) has one bolt that goes from the inside of the car, into the case half, and is therefore blind from the outside.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a bolt that passes into the assembly from the interior portion of the HVAC. You have to open the interior assembly to access the bolt. If I remember right, there are two of them
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reply

Thanks, guys! I kinda figured that was the case, but didn't think I'ld have to split the case halves to find that bolt.

SnorT91Man
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I just did this on an '89. I don't know about the bolt these guys are talking about; I removed all the hardware necessary to remove the inner panel (closest to the exhaust), w/no major issues, then I slid that panel out...then pulled the evaporator out. I didn't touch the outer part of the housing (until later).

Pics HERE.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I just did this on an '89. I don't know about the bolt these guys are talking about; I removed all the hardware necessary to remove the inner panel (closest to the exhaust), w/no major issues, then I slid that panel out...then pulled the evaporator out. I didn't touch the outer part of the housing (until later).

Pics HERE.
Agreed, I have an 89 as well. You shouldn't have to pull out the whole outer box to get the evap core out. But there are two screws that run from the interior HVAC box (the half portion that holds the heater core). If you want the whole thing out, interior and exterior, those have to be taken out. Ask me how I know

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the Blower Motor and Evap Core

Quick Reply: Removing the Blower Motor and Evap Core