C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF 6 Speed Clutch Engagement Point Changes Suddenly??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 PM
dz2013
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZF 6 Speed Clutch Engagement Point Changes Suddenly??

My clutch generally grabs fairly high (as seems to be the consensus amongst the zf6 owners) but I noticed this just today while slogging through traffic. I was on and off the clutch for a good while leading up to an intersection and when it was finally my turn to go, the clutch suddenly grabbed right at the bottom of the travel catching me completely off guard resulting in me stalling.

What could possibly cause this to happen? The rest of the way home I made sure to let off the clutch completely multiple times instead of holding it in for too long and it didn't reoccur. I think this may have happened one or two other times in the past when I was backing up into a parking space that required a little bit of extra maneuvering. Each time resulting in me stalling.

The PO says he had the clutch replaced in his ownership (2016-2018) and regardless the car only has 41k miles. Thoughts?

TIA
Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 566 Likes on 441 Posts

Hydraulics?

look to make sure the clutch master cylinder is full and that there arent any amber droplets (easily mistaken for engine oil) at the bottom of the flexplate. Or drops on the ground.

unlike engine oil there isnt a lot of fluid in the clutch hydraulics !
good luck !
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Could be the bolt for the fork/pivot got loose. This happen to me.

Good luck
Steve
Old 08-02-2018, 10:22 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

My guess is hydraulics, especially if the problem is intermittent. You also mention some extended/stop go, like traffic? The hydraulics and line are in a pretty steamy hot area, and while I kind of doubt you did or even could boil over the clutch fluid maybe that is something to consider given the extended running/use without any airflow. I’d start with fresh fluid and some tests to ensure full release of the clutch. Example: rev motor to 3k with clutch engaged, then declutch and immediately go for 1st or R, if it fights you or crunches it may not be releasing in full. I’d expect some resistance as the synchros will still have to do some work but it should be relatively easy and not crunch at all.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The ZF is loud enough that you can here when it's spinning and when it's not. Push in the clutch pedal....gear noise should disappear and that means the clutch released completely.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (08-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ZF 6 Speed Clutch Engagement Point Changes Suddenly??

Quick Reply: ZF 6 Speed Clutch Engagement Point Changes Suddenly??